Bloat and Preventative Gastropexy

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Re: Bloat and Preventative Gastropexy

Post by Madelon » 06 Feb 2020, 13:50

So glad she's gained her weight back so quickly - it's always such a relief when they fill out again :) . As for cutting out the mid day meal - I recommend reducing the food slowly so you can find the right amount to keep her weight where it needs to be. So if you're feeding 2 cups 3x a day maybe reduce the mid-day meal to 1cup OR cut out the mid-day meal BUT increase am/pm meals by 1/2 cup. I would only reduce by 1 cup and see how that goes for a while. My boy requires a bit more food than most to keep his weight where it needs to be.

As for lack of energy - YES low B12 will cause loss of energy. If you're not supplementing B12 you need to - it's critical to properly managing EPI and supplementing is for life.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

Paige's Guardian
State: Arizona

Post by Paige's Guardian » 07 Feb 2020, 06:06

Good Morning!

I am a Great Dane owner for the past 8 years and volunteered for a Dane rescue for almost 5 years. My Dane (malabsorption, SID) bloated 2x but did not twist bc she was tacked with her spay at 18 months. She is on GasX for life. unfortunately, my big choc lab did bloat with GDV last year in March. I recognized it immediately when I returned home from being out of town AND with surgery he survived.

So, there is a lot we don't know and a lot of misinformation. I do tack ALL of my Danes. Most excellent Dane breeders, those who show and do OFA testing, will require tacking when the dog is fixed. My 7 month old Dane female will be tacked when spayed. The recovery is different from just a spay alone so, I recommend talking to your vet. We do longer crate rest and 4-5 small meals a day. Finding the right vet surgeon is the challenge. I have a quote from my current vet in AZ for about $2500 so, I might return to TX for a visit and have the surgery done there for about $600 at our old vet clinic. Our old TX vet does all the tacks for DEA, Border patrol and police dogs.

I do feed with elevated bowls. When my dogs are young, they are crated after eating and this gets them used to quiet time after eating. This new puppy is a challenge bc when I get home she just wants to eat and play. So, she plays first then once settled and stops panting she eats. Then, settle for 30-60 minutes. The older dogs are used to the routine but sometimes they play and regurgitate if I am not quick enough to stop them. There is some research that suggests that feeding ALL dry food is a risk factor. My dogs get a mixture of wet and dry which was shown to have less risk of bloat. Nervous anxious dogs are also at higher risk. Both my Dane and Lab that bloated are anxious nervous dogs.

My choc lab that had GDV last year was my rock solid iron stomach guy. He ALWAYS had solid stools his entire life and could eat anything. He bloated after being on a course of antibiotics post dental work. That threw his stomach off so, I think that change in his stomach flora is what put him at risk. The vets were VERY surprised that was the first time he bloated at age 10.

When I get another lab in the future, he/she will also be tacked when fixed. We just don't know enough and cannot watch them enough.

Hope that helps.
Conny
Paige's Guardian (Conny)

Paige, 8-year old Great Dane.

Dx: Malabsorption at age 9 months of age. Low Folate. On plant enzymes for 1.5 years. Experienced bloat 2x and Pancreatitis. Switched to Enzyme Diane. TLI tested but never low. Diarrhea when off enzymes.
06/2019--cPL <50 (normal) SID-Tylan 3/8 tsp 2x/day. 1 tsp Pancreatin 6x per meal. Royal Canon Hydrolyzed Protein Dry Food

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 07 Feb 2020, 07:50

Conny , thank you so much for this insight, we rely on people's experiences, and this will go towards any decision in the future

Jean
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

Ehellriegel
State: Georgia
Pet name: Fi
My name: Eleanor

Post by Ehellriegel » 07 Feb 2020, 08:30

Hi Conny,

Thank you so much for your reply, your story sheds lots of light on the subject! I do understand it will be more recovery than just a spay, but one surgery is certainly better than two. It is hard to find the right vet, especially when prices vary so wildly. We are currently looking for a vet that has more experience with EPI so we can get information from someone who knows the condition. Luckily, Fi is not a very nervous dog. She doesn't seem to have any separation anxiety (sleeping every time I check the doggy cam), and she is definitely more abrasive than nervous around other dogs.

I completely agree with your statement "we just don't know enough and cannot watch them enough." That train of thought is what is leading me closer to getting a preventative gastropexy so that if Fi ever does bloat, it may not be as immediately life-threatening. Whatever the cost, I think it may be worth the peace of mind.

Ehellriegel

Post by Ehellriegel » 07 Feb 2020, 08:42

Where does everyone get their liquid Gas-X or Mylanta from? I haven't been able to find the liquid version or the gas-specific Mylanta. I'd like to have some on hand as a precaution!

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 07 Feb 2020, 09:11

Liquid Mylanta from Amazon.

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Ehellriegel

Post by Ehellriegel » 07 Feb 2020, 10:08

Is the Mylanta antacid + anti-gas what you're referring to? I can only find the Mylanta Gas in capsules, no liquid. Thanks Jill!

Jean
Forum Director

Post by Jean » 07 Feb 2020, 10:22

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

Jeanx

Ehellriegel

Post by Ehellriegel » 07 Feb 2020, 10:34

Thank you, just ordered some!! Not sure why the 2-pack is $20 when they sell single bottles for $7... So I ordered the single bottle!

I've read that it may be a good idea to administer some to your dog if they show signs of excess gas (burping multiple times, loud stomach noises) after a meal, is this recommended? Or is it only for emergency cases?

And what is the dosing recommendation for dogs?

Jean
Forum Director

Post by Jean » 07 Feb 2020, 11:03

Lowest weight 39 pounds

Jeanx