BLOAT----GDV familiarize yourself with the symptoms again

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Re: BLOAT----GDV familiarize yourself with the symptoms again

Post by Barb » 27 Mar 2019, 14:12

Hi Conny,

I just dug out my log/journal and found what I recorded after Kolby's bloat. He did not eat until the third day. He was discharged on August 13, 2017 and ate his first 1/2 cup of food on August 16. (he ate a total of 1 and 1/2 cups on that third day, then increased slowly with each day.) He did drink lots of water from the first day of discharge.

His pain medication was tramadol.

I kept detailed notes. Some are very funny...("he looked at food, he smelled food") I was slightly hyper vigilant LOL! But the notes came in handy when I had to report in to the vet or had a question. And it helped me to keep track of pain meds.

So I think it might be a bit early for him to eat if he is not interested. Is he drinking water? Just record the times and what he is doing.

Hang in there.

Barb

Riley's Mom
Staff
State: Virginia

Post by Riley's Mom » 27 Mar 2019, 17:07

What a good find Barb! I'm sure that is helpful to hear from another that has gone through it.
Elisabeth

Riley is a 10 year old Labradoodle. She was diagnosed with EPI in 2014.
She currently eats Taste of the Wild, I cup in the morning, 2 cups in the evening, each meal with 1 Wonderlabs B12 sprinkled over her dinner. Enzymes are EnzymeDiane, 1 tsp per cup of food, mixed in home made bone broth. No other supplements or meds at this time.
Riley currently weighs about 44 pounds, which is pretty heavy for her.

Paige's Guardian
State: Arizona

Post by Paige's Guardian » 31 Mar 2019, 11:56

Jake went back to the vet on Thursday night since he wasn't eating. Very weird for a lab not wanting to eat.

Vet gave him Hill's Prescription A/D and he ate right out of her hands. Also, took him off the Fentanyl patch which I think was the main issue. He is back to eating but small meals 3-4x/day. He is loving the food and on his way to getting healthy again.

Thanks for all your help/suggestions,
Conny
Paige's Guardian (Conny)

Paige, 8-year old Great Dane.

Dx: Malabsorption at age 9 months of age. Low Folate. On plant enzymes for 1.5 years. Experienced bloat 2x and Pancreatitis. Switched to Enzyme Diane. TLI tested but never low. Diarrhea when off enzymes.
06/2019--cPL <50 (normal) SID-Tylan 3/8 tsp 2x/day. 1 tsp Pancreatin 6x per meal. Royal Canon Hydrolyzed Protein Dry Food

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 31 Mar 2019, 12:49

that is really good news

I am sure you were terrified as I would be

thank you for reminding us of what is a true emergeny

Jean
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 02 Apr 2019, 21:04

Hi Conny - I am just now seeing this - WOW - what a scary ordeal you have been through. It's ironic though as my husband is always making fun of me about being concerned about bloat (he's never heard of it) - he just came in from outside with Doc and was joking how he told Doc they could only throw the ball once because mommy's worried you'll bloat (he just ate dinner an hour before) so I read him your entire post! I think it might have finally sunk into his head that this is a serious issue.

When I read they put him on Fentanyl - my heart stopped beating. Fentanyl is WAY stronger than morphine. I'm glad they took him off of it and he's eaten a bit.

Please give him kisses and hugs to you. Keep us updated on how he's doing.

Oh, have you ever tried cream cheese for pills? I swear it works even on some of the most stubborn dogs - just put the pill in a dollop of cream cheese
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.