S. Boulardii

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
LisaDorn2024
State: Utah
Pet name: Levi
My name: Lisa Dorn

S. Boulardii

Post by LisaDorn2024 » 06 Mar 2024, 21:27

Has anyone added Saccharomyces boulardii (yeast based probiotics) to your EPI pet's treatment protocol? This was suggested to me by AnimalBiome (they do gut microbiome testing) and they said it can often help with diarrhea. Just curious if anyone has tried it and what the results were.
Thank you,
Lisa

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Re: S. Boulardii

Post by Olesia711 » 07 Mar 2024, 11:41

yes! Many times when folks ask about a new probiotic they want to try, when i see S. Boulardi listed, i silently cheer, as it does appear to help.

Lisa,

WHen posted on the forum, we like to suggest not to start new threads but rather keep all your posts under the original thread you started. This way we can keep track of the history and EPI journey and advise accordingly.
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 07 Mar 2024, 11:43

Lisa, I found this on Dr. Judy Morgans blog:

" Probiotics – Probiotics support the microbiome of the gut and the immune system. Probiotics are essential if the cause of the condition is bacterial, and antibiotics are prescribed. S boulardii is a probiotic yeast that will survive antibiotics, manage diarrhea, and support the digestive process. Adding digestive enzymes sooth and heal the gut and can help resolve diarrhea. "
https://drjudymorgan.com/blogs/blog/gas ... 3606&_ss=r

I have never used it I use 4leaf Rover gut guard, a clay based probiotic. My dogs are NOT Epi.

If you use the yeast probiotic please let us know how it works.

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

LisaDorn2024

Post by LisaDorn2024 » 07 Mar 2024, 12:24

Thank you, Jill, for letting me know to keep a thread going on the forum.

Also, thank you for the article by Dr. Judy. I much prefer functional/integrative medicine and Levi has had a regular vet (allopathic) and a holistic vet (he is in Portland so the appts are telehealth only) since the day I adopted him. Unfortunately, neither knows anything about EPI. But the holistic vet has been invaluable in other ways.

I gave Levi 1/2 tsp of slippery elm this morning with his breakfast. I mixed it with water in a little cup and once it thickened I put it on his food. Then I added a top layer of canned food and put the Creon on top. I will be observing him carefully all day.

Olesia suggested I start transiting Levi to the Ultamino which I will start to do at his lunch meal.

Levi was on the Visbiome probiotic for several months before he got really sick and had to be hospitalized. They changed him to the Proviable Forte. He has been on the Proviable Forte just 2 days shy of 3 weeks so I think I am going to with Levi back to the Visbiome on Saturday starting with half a dose. I might add in the S. boulardii in a couple of days but I want to see how the slippery elm works first.

Thank you so very much!

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 07 Mar 2024, 17:42

Are you using Creon 5000 or 10,000?
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

LisaDorn2024

Post by LisaDorn2024 » 07 Mar 2024, 17:52

Creon 12