New Skills

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Greyden
State: Idaho
Pet name: Dot
My name: Greyden

Re: New Skills

Post by Greyden » 24 Feb 2024, 15:16

One of these days I'll learn to copy what I have written so it doesn't disappear when I have to step away mid sentence and then get logged out. Grrrr.

Anyway, just know that I have read appreciate y'all's information and insights.
As with most things these days, there are no easy answers.
Living in a rural area makes it tough to get specialized vet care - no internal med vet, no vet nutritionist. EPI seems to be a new thing here.
Thanks again for sharing!
Dot is our day blind 3 1/2 year old half Idaho Shag half Australian Cattle Dog. She was diagnosed with EPI in late January 2024. We continue to try to figure out her best protocol.....

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 24 Feb 2024, 15:18

Greydon,
you are very welcome! Thank goodness for the internet , eh? so you can at least read and research on your own if need be.
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Greyden
State: Idaho
Pet name: Dot
My name: Greyden

Post by Greyden » 24 Feb 2024, 15:24

For sure - :)
Dot is our day blind 3 1/2 year old half Idaho Shag half Australian Cattle Dog. She was diagnosed with EPI in late January 2024. We continue to try to figure out her best protocol.....

Montgomery
Pet name: Montgomery (I'm a CAT!)
My name: V

Post by Montgomery » 24 Feb 2024, 16:14

Olesia711 wrote: 24 Feb 2024, 14:55 V... you made me laugh.... and yes i DO think genes has a lot to do with much of it.....

but over 15 years, we have seen patterns emerge with these EPI pets... but the difficult thing is when we "suggest" certain brands and then they change the formula or if there is a recall, or of it is discontinued.... it gets very frustrating.... so the best thing for us to do is suggest a criteria of what type of food "appear" to work best.... and then mention what currently seems to work, but offer no guarantees..............
I've had foods that worked well for my cats discontinued so many times. For awhile it seemed that if my cats liked it, it would be changed or discontinued. Then there was the mad scramble to find something Montgomery could eat when his food was suddenly unavailable. Luckily I'm always in CYA mode with these guys, so I had a supply, but it takes so long to find something that agrees with his system that I was panicking. Switching to home-made fixed that, but now we're butting heads over the menu. I do have a set of infant spoons that I use when spoon-feeding Montgomery is the only option. He will just flat out refuse to eat. Sit down, pin his ears, turn his head. NO. Have you ever tried spoon-feeding a tiny carnivore?
Felix was twelve pounds of attitude. Orange, fluffy, looked like Bert Lahr. His canine teeth sort of stuck out. He had huge paws. He did not take anyone's crap. He'd been feral a few years and survived death row at Kennel Inn. He feared nothing and nobody. He was tough as nails and we called him Survivor Man. When he got old, we'd joke he was the kind of old guy who would stomp off his porch in his boxer shorts and yell at the kids to "GET OFF MY LAWN!"

Greyden, I live in a large-ish town with several veterinary clinics and it still took ages to get a diagnosis for Montgomery. Even post-diagnosis it was hard to get answers. Thank goodness for this forum and the information and support it provides. I used to go into the clinic with double-sided pages of questions and bits of information that had come from reading this forum and asking questions, and it really did help. Just having other people who have been there with their pets and understand what it's like, what these guys go through and what we go through trying to help them is a huge asset.
Montgomery was born 20 March 2012. He eats extra lean ground chicken, lean ground pork and lean ground beef completed with Alnutrin and freeze-dried chicken liver, with hard-cooked egg. He gets two size zero capsules of Enzyme Diane's enzymes at each of his six meals, and a size four capsule of Tylan three times a day. He's a fierce little Spitfire with a roaring Merlin engine.

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 24 Feb 2024, 20:01

thanks V for sharing your experience with foods...... sounds a LOT like mine over the years....so frustrating!

I suspect it is very "interesting" living at your place.... but also very lucky for all the 4-legged beings :)
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Montgomery

Post by Montgomery » 25 Feb 2024, 07:31

Especially when you don't get a warning of an up-coming formula change or potential shortages. Sometimes I think the manufacturors of pet food don't actually live with pets.
Montgomery was born 20 March 2012. He eats extra lean ground chicken, lean ground pork and lean ground beef completed with Alnutrin and freeze-dried chicken liver, with hard-cooked egg. He gets two size zero capsules of Enzyme Diane's enzymes at each of his six meals, and a size four capsule of Tylan three times a day. He's a fierce little Spitfire with a roaring Merlin engine.

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 25 Feb 2024, 11:48

Oh Gosh... i bet some of them don't have pets!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

Eddiespaghetti
State: California
Pet name: Eddie
My name: Jeremy

Post by Eddiespaghetti » 25 Feb 2024, 12:26

While it is a lesser degree, I have gone through this.
When Eddie was first diagnosed with meningitis 3.5 years ago(hell yeah what a fighter boi). We were trying to figure out how to get his medication in him. At the beginning it was a lot of pills. https://a.co/d/hxBXo5l
We found that. Perfect size to put his medication in without having him get chunky. They discontinued it shortly after and we have been chasing that dragon since.
Edit; wait it's 4.5 years (double mega hell yeah strong boi)

Montgomery

Post by Montgomery » 25 Feb 2024, 19:50

Between Montgomery and Flapjack, I'd have no fingers left if it wasn't for my pill gun.