Raw Pancreas portion confusion

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
jkblack
State: Michigan
Pet name: May
My name: Jan

Raw Pancreas portion confusion

Post by jkblack » 20 Jan 2024, 11:55

On this page https://epi4dogs.com/enzymes-in-brief/ it shows that "One to three or four ounces of raw pancreas can replace one teaspoon of pancreatic extract". SiriusNaturalPetFoods.com said that I should give my dog 1oz per 10 lbs of the dog's weight. For a 64 pound dog that would be 6.4oz of pancreas per feeding (or 12.8 oz of pancreas per day). That seems like a lot; especially when I am feeding her homecooked food which is about 2 cups of meat per day (plus raw liver/kidney). She is stable on 3/4 tsp of Pantenex per meal. Can anyone with experience feeding raw beef pancreas help me with deciding how much to use initially? I know it may need to be tweaked a bit but it seems like 12 oz per day for a 64 pound dog (in addition to her meals) is too much. Thanks SO much for any advice.
My beautiful, smart, silly May adopted me in March 2023 when she was 5 months old. She is always trying to please and can never get enough LOVE. Diagnosed at 10 months with EPI, we had no idea what we were dealing with. SO many people on this forum have helped us through this; I can't imagine having to figure this out on my own. Thank you all!

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Re: Raw Pancreas portion confusion

Post by Olesia711 » 20 Jan 2024, 12:23

go with the 1 to 3 or 4 oz which should be comparable to 1 tsp of powdered enzymes.

Since "2 cups of meat per day (plus raw liver/kidney). She is stable on 3/4 tsp "....the starting point with the raw enzymes would be somewhere between 2 to 8 oz of raw pancreas with her 2 cups of meat+. IMHO... go with the higher amount to compensate if the raw pancreas is not potent enough

The reason why there is so much variation with the 1 to 3 or 4 oz = 1 tsp of enzymes.... is because the potency of the raw pancreas will vary from one animal's pancreas to the next....

What you might want to do in the beginning (cause not all dogs will eat raw pancreas) is try giving 1/2 the amount of Pantenex and 1/2 the amount of the raw pancreas and see how it goes.

hope this helps!
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

jkblack
State: Michigan
Pet name: May
My name: Jan

Post by jkblack » 21 Jan 2024, 08:12

Thanks Olesia, using 1/2 and 1/2 s is a good way to start.
My beautiful, smart, silly May adopted me in March 2023 when she was 5 months old. She is always trying to please and can never get enough LOVE. Diagnosed at 10 months with EPI, we had no idea what we were dealing with. SO many people on this forum have helped us through this; I can't imagine having to figure this out on my own. Thank you all!

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 21 Jan 2024, 11:49

let us know how it goes :)
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........