newbie here in need of advice

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Re: newbie here in need of advice

Post by jilbert57 » 23 Jan 2024, 20:15

Oh Mark I am so sorry to read this.
Rest in Peace Hachi

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

mburtch1
State: Michigan
Pet name: Hachi
My name: Mark

Post by mburtch1 » 25 Jan 2024, 11:35

I am so heartbroken Hachi to a pice of my heart with him

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 25 Jan 2024, 13:27

Mark, i feel for you, as i had to let go of my "heart" dog 4 years ago... and i still grieve for her........when i talk about her too much, i well up with tears. But although my heart broke when i had to say goodbye..... i also know it was the biggest gift of love that i could bestow upon her to relieve her of her suffering that was not going to get any better but rather worse.

Here is a poem that i hope you find some comfort in:

The Last Battle
If it should be that I grow frail and weak
And pain should keep me from my sleep,
Then will you do what must be done,
For this — the last battle — can’t be won.
You will be sad I understand,
But don’t let grief then stay your hand,
For on this day, more than the rest,
Your love and friendship must stand the test.
We have had so many happy years,
You wouldn’t want me to suffer so.
When the time comes, please, let me go.
Take me to where to my needs they’ll tend,
Only, stay with me till the end
And hold me firm and speak to me
Until my eyes no longer see.
I know in time you will agree
It is a kindness you do to me.
Although my tail its last has waved,
From pain and suffering I have been saved.
Don’t grieve that it must be you
Who has to decide this thing to do;
We’ve been so close — we two — these years,
Don’t let your heart hold any tears.
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

mburtch1

Post by mburtch1 » 25 Jan 2024, 19:41

That's a real nice poem, thank you so much I needed that

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 25 Jan 2024, 20:40

Mark....you are very welcome......
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

mburtch1

Post by mburtch1 » 24 Feb 2024, 14:44

hi olesia will its been 31 days since hachi has passed and i am still so heart broken man this is so hard my house feels so empty and i try to think of all the good times we had together but then i cant stop thinking about the end , losing a pet is so hard

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 24 Feb 2024, 15:16

Mark... i am so sorry......this past Feb 13th, my Izzy will have been gone 4 years, and i still find myself missing her...

I wish there was something that could be said to lessen the hurt, but with the heart-dogs, i don't think we ever really get over the loss.

One thing i did do, that gave me some comfort, was to make a photo book with some of the many pictures i had of Izzy. .. so that i have something physical to look at when i think of her..........

I remember seeing the pics you posted of Hachi and they were stunning pictures... so i am guessing you have more? so that maybe you can do a photo cook for yourself? This is the program that i used: https://www.createphotocalendars.com/photo-books/

mburtch1

Post by mburtch1 » 24 Feb 2024, 16:41

Yes I had done that , a scrap book of pictures when he went to the groomers every month since he was 4 months old 2014 to Jan 13 2024 and that pic I posted with the pink background was Jan 13 2024 his groomer Jen said he did pretty good till hafe way thur then he just laid down for the rest and in the pic he was laying down

mburtch1

Post by mburtch1 » 24 Feb 2024, 19:20

I was trying to upload a pic from my phone but couldn't so I will do it when I get on my laptop

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 24 Feb 2024, 19:57

looking forward to seeing it..........