newbie here in need of advice

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Re: newbie here in need of advice

Post by Olesia711 » 21 Jan 2024, 16:09

sure... try unsalted broth :)
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

mburtch1
State: Michigan
Pet name: Hachi
My name: Mark

Post by mburtch1 » 21 Jan 2024, 17:07

going to pick some unsalted beef broth , tomorrow morning hachi goes to the VCA Animal Hosp and before i made the app i ask if the vet was familiar with PLE and i was put on hold and she came back she said the vet was , Hachi is losing alot of muscle mass , but he is holding 8.6 pounds . he reg weight is 12 , 13 pounds , i will pick the broth up tomorrow , i just gave him a little not a lot just turkey and i 2.5 /3 hrs i will give him some more

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 21 Jan 2024, 19:05

Hi Mark,

Until your vet suggests a balanced/low fat diet that they recommend for Hachi long term....... the following is an example of what you can feed a PLE dog in the meantime.. and since the rice was a bust, maybe try no fat cottage cheese... however, i'd skip the oil until AFTER you speak with your vet.:

The most common foodstuff and ingredients used to manage lymphangiectasia/PLE are;
For protein – egg whites, turkey breast, and/or no-fat cottage cheese. For carbohydrates, well-cooked white rice, boiled potatoes without the skin. A small amount of corn oil is added to provide fatty acids for a balanced meal.
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

mburtch1

Post by mburtch1 » 21 Jan 2024, 19:42

Thank you for that info

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 22 Jan 2024, 13:52

you are very welcome..... i just hope diet modification helps hachi feel better......................

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 22 Jan 2024, 19:09

Do you know the name of the injections Hachi is getting for itching?

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

mburtch1

Post by mburtch1 » 23 Jan 2024, 07:19

Cytopoint , he may of had this disease , but i believe the cytopoint brought it out . so i decided not to take Hachi to a new vet at the VCA , instead we took him to his vet had another B12 shot and IV . poor little guy is so sore today , with the Cesar ham & eggs he is having hard stool instead of diarrhea , the turkey i bake him the other day , will it gave him diarrhea , so he has lost so must muscle i just order some calcium with vitamin D , i hope this will bring back his muscle , he hasnt lost nor gain any weight , he is still at 8.6 , i was also thinking about giving him a probiotic ???

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 23 Jan 2024, 12:15

do not give him any probiotics UNLESS you talk to your vet first. Although probiotics are great, with some health conditions, you don't want to give them.

Also... before giving the calcium & vitamin D. Vitamin D is a fat soluble vitamin and you want to be careful not to give too much, cause too much can cause serious illness, although i suspect in his case he probably is depleted in vitamin D..... HOWEVER..... just to be on the safe side. Tell your vet that you ordered calcium and Vit D and ask your vet how much and how often you should give this to Hachi.

Too bad the turkey didn't work out *sigh* if the ham & eggs are working, then keep him on it for now. Actually with PLE, supposedly giving egg with Banana REALLY helps (this was advised by a vet)... so you might want to try giving a few bites of banana and see if it agree with Hachi.

Also... just checking..... make sure when the vet gives a vitamin B12 shot that it is only Cyanocobalamin B12.... do not give a multi-vitamin B12 shot as that will (a) sting (b) does not have sufficient B12 in it........

mburtch1

Post by mburtch1 » 23 Jan 2024, 15:15

Hachi started to have seizures when he was 4 years old , the vet put on pills for it , but i did not the side effects from them , so i found this website Holistapet for CBD oil and its been wonderful out of the 5yrs hes been on the CBD oil he may of have 2 to 3 seizures a year mild one , since the last 3.5 months he hasn't had any CBD oil , and this morning he had a real real real bad seizure , one that i never seen before , he died and i gave him chest compressions and he started breathing again , but him being so darn weak it took a toll , rush him to the vets , and the out come was not good , as much as i wanted to bring my little guy back home , i couldnt , the vet said i have to think about letting him go , and that i did everything to help him , but it was time because everything thats going on and the seizure he had took a toll on his already weak body , so i decided to let him rest , saddest thing i had to do was lets my buddie go ,, RIP Hachi
March 10th , 2014 to Jan 23rd Hachi would of been 10yrs old

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 23 Jan 2024, 19:14

Oh NO!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so so SO sorry you had to say good bye to Hachi.... you fought so hard to help him..... your heart must be shattered. ALthough it is the most difficult thing for us to do, i think letting them go so that they do not suffer any more when there is no possibility of a good outcome... is probably the biggest gift of love that we can ever bestow upon our faithful companions.

Again, i am so very sorry..............................................

Attachments
235981111_6220859174620939_5136109609939348550_n.jpg
235981111_6220859174620939_5136109609939348550_n.jpg (8.63 KiB) Viewed 1083 times