Tylan started...... no poos since.....

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Kissy1921
Pet name: Molly
My name: Dawn

Tylan started...... no poos since.....

Post by Kissy1921 » 16 Jan 2024, 08:32

Good afternoon folks

An update on Molly who has her blood tests next week to check what is going on with her or to confirm her EPI.

After 7 days on Amoxicillin her SIBO/SID returned a week later and she had quiet hit and miss loose piles and lots of poo over the weekend.

The vet said to feed her white fish and sweet potato.............. this just made her worse.

The last poo she had was early yesterday morning, extremely curry like so we started the Tylan just after that, she is 35kg and we gave her 1/4 teaspoon in a little bit of canned food ....surprised that she lapped it up but then she is a food manic.

She had 1/4 of a teaspoon again last night and another dose with breakfast this morning, feeding her as normal.

No poo since early yesterday morning, am so not used to this............... is it to be expected?

Worried mum...... thanks for any help .

Dawn

Kissy1921

Re: Tylan started...... no poos since.....

Post by Kissy1921 » 16 Jan 2024, 11:35

No worries, all good............. perfect poo this evening, never knew Tylan worked that fast lol

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 16 Jan 2024, 15:05

thanks for letting us know this..... so..... this is when you do the happy dance :) ..... no worries about no poo, they will come.... but this is a very good indication that the next poo output you see will be much more normal looking than what you have been seeing and that the Tylan is doing it's job.

Attachments
giphy.gif
giphy.gif (162.65 KiB) Viewed 1351 times
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Kissy1921

Post by Kissy1921 » 17 Jan 2024, 03:45

Molly is so much better, perfect poops, no rumbling tummy, no gas............ and she is back to her usual self.

Problem is, my vet won't prescribe the Tylan for use on a regular basis and says a 30 - 45 day course is far too long!!

Has anybody purchased this? Apparently available from Ukraine without a prescription. How do they do that??

https://homelabvet.com/product/tylosin-100g/

Would be interested in your comments.

Thanks

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 17 Jan 2024, 11:07

HI Dawn.... i have meetings now and won't be available until later today... but once i am back in the office, i will look into this.

It appears to be the correct Tylan (Tylosin powder)... but i would like to look into it a little further.

To answer your question,,,, different countries have different regulations about selling various products.
Tylan/Tylosin used to be available without a prescription here in the USA just a few years ago.... but then our government changed the laws... to where now you need a prescription.

Regarding 45 days. too long.... WRONG.... we have recommendations here regarding using Tylosin for 30 to 45 days/ twice a dog for EPI dogs to treat SID...............
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Kissy1921

Post by Kissy1921 » 17 Jan 2024, 12:01

Thanks, would really appreciate your thoughts.

Vet has prescribed one 100g tub which we are using now, when I showed her your website and recommendations for 45 days she commented that it was far too long and she would rather not prescribe any more.

So, am stuck at the moment.

Infuriating

She wants to shave Molly and do a full ultrasound scan next Tuesday, am not sure this is necessary if we are already having the blood tests for EPI and a full blood count?

Again, infuriating .

Dawn x

Eddiespaghetti
State: California
Pet name: Eddie
My name: Jeremy

Post by Eddiespaghetti » 17 Jan 2024, 12:06

This is a worse case scenario type of thing. If you can't get Tylosin for the full 45 days, you can try slippery elm. Once you get to the point you have 3 days left you can give half of the Tylosin and half of the dosage of slippery elm. Some studies have shown that a 7 day cycle is typically enough to treat SIDs. Well more of there was no difference between 7 days and 63 days of Tylosin.
This isn't the recommended path, but hopefully the Tylosin has worked enough to the point slippery elm can take over. It would be far better to get Tylosin for 45 days. If you can't, there are some other things to try.

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 17 Jan 2024, 20:11

Hi Dawn,

From what i can tell, this is the correct product (Tylosin).

But before purchasing... maybe share the following with your vet:
https://www.vin.com/apputil/content/def ... &pid=12886

and specifically point out to your vet where our recommendation comes from in this article by Dr. Joerg Steiner, Director of the Texas A&M gastrointestinal laboratory:

..... "Antibiotics

Oxytetracycline used to be the therapy of choice for small intestinal dysbiosis, but oxytetracycline for oral use has become largely unavailable. Tylosin (25 mg/kg q12h for 6 weeks) is the new antibiotic agent of choice. Tylosin is extremely safe and is not used in humans for the most part - thus, creating resistant bacterial strains is not a big concern. In one study, a group of dogs was treated with 400 mg/kg daily for a period of 2 years and none of them developed any side-effects. The superb efficacy of tylosin has been well-demonstrated in studies from Finland. Some of those newer studies would suggest that smaller dosages may also be beneficial, but these findings will need to be verified. Other antibiotics, such as metronidazole, can also be used. Some patients respond to therapy rapidly and do not have a recurrence. However, other patients do not respond to antibiotic therapy alone. If there is no marked improvement after 2 weeks of appropriate antibiotic therapy, further work-up is necessary. Some patients may respond to therapy with a complete resolution of clinical signs but may have a recurrence of clinical signs as soon as antibiotic therapy is discontinued. These patients require further diagnostic work-up. In some of these patients, a specific underlying cause of the dysbiosis can be identified and treated accordingly. However, in some patients no specific cause can be identified; and prolonged, maybe even life-long, antimicrobial therapy is required
."

And then Dr. Elias Westermarck also wrote a historical on EPI....
https://www.epi4dogs.com/wp-content/upl ... rmarck.pdf
and in it, he states that some dogs, who need to be on Tylosin for life (although we at Epi4Dogs try our best to avoid this if at all possible).... can be maintained on the lowest dose possible... "In the placebo-controlled study we used the tylosin dosage 25 mg/kg every 24 hours, but the results of a recent study (unpublished) indicate that a suitable dose could be as low as 5 mg/kg once
daily"

Hopefully your vet will revist his/her decision regarding giving you more Tylosin for Molly.

Kissy1921

Post by Kissy1921 » 18 Jan 2024, 02:06

Thanks for all the info. I emailed it all over to our vet who says she wants to do more diagnostics ....but that if someone on this epi forum would prescribe it then she would be happy but is refusing to prescribe it in her name.

Arghhh...am waiting to see what the blood tests say next week and will go from there.

Dawn x

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 18 Jan 2024, 11:38

Dawn,

Would it be possible for you to get a 2nd opinion from another vet???