Enzyme dose not working? What should I try next?

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Eddiespaghetti
State: California
Pet name: Eddie
My name: Jeremy

Re: Enzyme dose not working? What should I try next?

Post by Eddiespaghetti » 12 Jan 2024, 19:16

Eddie is actually on Tylosin for the foreseeable future. It is mostly to due with his other conditions. He is on two immune suppressants for his immune-mediated meningitis. Which means we can't give him slippery elm as that could block the absorption of his medication. With him being on two immune suppressants he is very prone to infection and bacteria overgrowth. We are hoping to stop the immune-suppressants soon, but for now, he has enough to deal with. I don't want to add SIDs to the mix. Which is also why I know Tylosin is safe long term.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 12 Jan 2024, 19:22

although none of us want to keep our dogs on Tylan forever.....and we try our best to not have to keep the dog on Tylan... in the end, with some dogs....it is simply what you have to do... and they need to be on a maintenance dose of Tylan for the rest of their lives.... or until we can figure out how to permanently get rid of dysbiosis... wouldn't that be grand??!!!
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 12 Jan 2024, 19:24

Dr. Westermark, who is by some, considered the "father of EPI" wrote a historical piece about EPI.... and even he said some have to be on Tylan for life.... but if possible, try to figure out the least amount of Tylan needed as a maintenance med .
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

lylzzf3841
State: Oregon
Pet name: Leo

Post by lylzzf3841 » 18 Jan 2024, 14:27

Another update - Leo is still on the initial dose of Tylan, I’m going to try tapering down next week at 42 days.

Here is a new thing this morning though - Leo threw up quite some yellow bile this morning… This has happened before when he didn’t have GI issue, probably once or twice a year. I feel it’s usually early in the morning when he was on empty stomach. But this is the first time after we started the EPI treatment so I’d like to know if there is anything I should be concerned.

Because of EPI we cut off his late night snack, so it’s now about 12 hours overnight between his dinner and breakfast…

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 18 Jan 2024, 19:09

go back to giving him a tiny piece of something before bedtime..... this sounds like an upset tummy/acid from an empty tummy... or jsut an upset tummy.

Many of our dogs experience this, and it often tends to right itself in a few days.........

You don't have to give much food at night,, just a little something ... i used to give 1/4 piece of American cheese... but then again, my EPI gal was fine with dairy AND she was able to cheat with a tiny bit of food without enzymes.

But.... even if you have to give enzymes with the nightly snack....., try a few tablespoons of something with a sprinkle of enzymes.... just before bed... and see if that helps.

lylzzf3841

Post by lylzzf3841 » 19 Jan 2024, 13:58

Eddiespaghetti wrote: 12 Jan 2024, 19:16 Eddie is actually on Tylosin for the foreseeable future. It is mostly to due with his other conditions. He is on two immune suppressants for his immune-mediated meningitis. Which means we can't give him slippery elm as that could block the absorption of his medication. With him being on two immune suppressants he is very prone to infection and bacteria overgrowth. We are hoping to stop the immune-suppressants soon, but for now, he has enough to deal with. I don't want to add SIDs to the mix. Which is also why I know Tylosin is safe long term.
Ah sorry I actually completely missed this post earlier! So do you mind me asking what’s the maintenance dose for Eddie and what’s the dosing interval?

lylzzf3841

Post by lylzzf3841 » 19 Jan 2024, 14:03

Olesia711 wrote: 18 Jan 2024, 19:09 go back to giving him a tiny piece of something before bedtime..... this sounds like an upset tummy/acid from an empty tummy... or jsut an upset tummy.

Many of our dogs experience this, and it often tends to right itself in a few days.........

You don't have to give much food at night,, just a little something ... i used to give 1/4 piece of American cheese... but then again, my EPI gal was fine with dairy AND she was able to cheat with a tiny bit of food without enzymes.

But.... even if you have to give enzymes with the nightly snack....., try a few tablespoons of something with a sprinkle of enzymes.... just before bed... and see if that helps.
He had the worst poop last night… lots of stomach noise, and the stool was completely soft/formless, and not much improvement this morning either…

I am so confused what might be causing the relapse? Nothing has changed, and he was pretty stable for at least 2 weeks now…

Even I’m sitting here I can hear his stomach noises, it’s almost like when he was not having enough Tylan :( :( is there anything I should try at this moment?

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 19 Jan 2024, 14:07

did you start tapering down the Tylan? If so... that might be the problem.............
if not, and if the bedtime snack did not work, what you can try is give the Tylan Twice a day but slightly increase the dose... sometimes that helps.........

lylzzf3841

Post by lylzzf3841 » 19 Jan 2024, 14:10

Olesia711 wrote: 19 Jan 2024, 14:07 did you start tapering down the Tylan? If so... that might be the problem.............
if not, and if the bedtime snack did not work, what you can try is give the Tylan Twice a day but slightly increase the dose... sometimes that helps.........
I haven’t started tapering down yet. He is still on 1/4 tsp twice a day, which is the recommended dose for his weight (86lbs now). Do you think it’s SID again?

Eddiespaghetti
State: California
Pet name: Eddie
My name: Jeremy

Post by Eddiespaghetti » 19 Jan 2024, 14:40

Eddie is on 1/64th of a teaspoon twice a day as a maintenance dose. It's about 7mg/kg. It's the smallest measuring spoon I can find. We want to be able to have a measured amount.
Did you try giving a night time snack? Otherwise, I would recommend not changing anything and just keep on keeping on. Every once in a while Eddie will have days like this. Where it seems like he is reverting, but it only lasts a day or two. We give him a half of an Imodium for two days. Then it goes away. The Imodium is to help with the diarrhea and not really a treatment. The half of Immodiam is because his size. It's like 1mg per 50 pounds of dog. Not to be giving long term (more than 5 days)