Long lasting EPI friendly chews

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Danica
State: West Virginia
Pet name: Araya
My name: Dani

Long lasting EPI friendly chews

Post by Danica » 14 Nov 2023, 19:40

Hello!
I recently adopted a 3 year old German shepherd with EPI dx. I’ve had her for about 3 months and she is in great health and we have a great routine with her meals and enzymes. But I was hoping to learn about any long lasting chews I can do a trial run with. I’ve attempted: dehydrated sweet potato pieces, dehydrated green tripe, beef bone (raw, no meat, no marrow, stuffed with sweet potato). She can handle these very well, but they do not last her long as she is a STRONG chewer. I’ve also just attempted giving her antlers, but she quickly gets bored with these. I am hesitant to do too many trial runs with new treats, because I fear giving her a flare up when she has come a long way to get this healthy. My goal is to ease her chewing anxiety. Any other recommendations is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Re: Long lasting EPI friendly chews

Post by Olesia711 » 14 Nov 2023, 19:50

hi Dani,

i used to give my dogs big heavy soup bones that i got from a butcher.... and 9 years later, i still have those bones!! BUT..... with a super aggressive chewer, i am not sure if this would be the answer or not

SOOOOOOooooo i am wondering.... if maybe ... instead of looking at something "edible" i wonder if something toy like with a chewy/squishy texture might be an option. for example.... instead of tennis balls, then now have those rubber balls for a chucker...so you think something along these lines satiate your dog???

Or maybe something like this?Image
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-11-14 194858.png
Screenshot 2023-11-14 194858.png (101.99 KiB) Viewed 1698 times
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Danica
State: West Virginia
Pet name: Araya
My name: Dani

Post by Danica » 14 Nov 2023, 20:02

Thank you for this.

Yes you are right about the chew toys, they do help. But again.. she either gets bored and attempts to find something new or she tears it to shreds (she also swallows plastic and stuffing if I am not supervising closely enough)

I have considered getting a number of enrichment toys like the one you suggested! So you validated that idea for me, I just worry about their toughness. I know this is all trial and error, so I will definitely look into that one.

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 14 Nov 2023, 20:46

Have you tried Himalayan yak chews? These last longest for our jack russells who are teriffic chewers. Next I get Red Barn collagen chews and No odor bully sticks. I have two holders for the sticks so they can't swallow the last bit. You may need to give after an enzymed meal.

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 16 Nov 2023, 22:23

Eddie, make sure the bones are long enough, so they can't get stuck on the bottom jaw. I was at urgent care once, when a screaming dog was brought in to have one removed. After that, I threw all mine away & asked for the butcher to cut them longer...but, the marrow in the middle seemed to get yucky.

Danica, I hear you, about that GSD chewing. I ended up getting XL flavored Nylabones. Not everyone wants their dog to chew them, but besides the long leg bones, they were the only thing that wasn't devoured in 15 minutes.---Pam
Tucker was a shepherd mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Diane's Enzymes 4 t/day, B12 1 capsule/day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/day. Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 4 c/day. 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma Nov. 2023. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

Now there's Nina. 5 year old GSD. TLI 1.0 B12 323. We are still tweaking her routine, and getting lots of help from the forum. She is klutzy and goofy, and we love her dearly, too.

Kimjohnson
Pet name: Jasper
My name: Kim

Post by Kimjohnson » 18 Jan 2024, 23:01

I also have an aggressive chewer. My 1 yr old cardigan corgi loves chewing. In the past with my other corgis, I've given them real bones but they have resulted in slab fractures of the back molars so I'm worried about that. He's chewing a hybrid nylabone made with wood but is going through them fast and I'm worried it's adding to his loose poop issues.
He is not interested in the soft rubbery chew toys at all, preferring hard chews. If I considered the Yak chews or bones, do I have to treat them with enzymes first?

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 19 Jan 2024, 09:34

Not sure how you would treat a yak bone with enzymes. Maybe give after an enzymed meal.
How about starting a new thread and introducing us to your Epi pup Jasper?

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.