Beef Enzyme alternatives

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Re: Beef Enzyme alternatives

Post by Olesia711 » 22 Apr 2023, 22:53

Ah geez Matthew, i am so sorry Max is having such difficulty.

Although CREON is porcine derived..... we have had other dogs who could not handle pig enzymes, but were fine with CREON, which is enteric coated. Actually they finally got better on CREON.

if you are willing to try CREON, i will gladly send you some. PLease email me privately at ([email protected]) with your home mailing address and i will send you some to try.

The difference (for example) could also be with powdered enzymes, the USP units of Lipase is approximately 71,400 whereas the CREON USP units of Lipase is 10,000... a huge difference which might be why there usually is no adverse reaction to those sensitive to pork. And the reason is because CREON does not need to use so much because it is enteric coated, whereas (i read ) that 70% of the efficacy of the powder is destroyed by the digestive tract acid (pH).... crazy, eh?!

The other thing you can try is sheep pancreas, deer pancreas. Thrive from Canada is usually not potent enough for our pups.
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

GlassWolf
State: Florida
Pet name: Max
My name: Matthew

Re: Beef Enzyme alternatives

Post by GlassWolf » 23 Apr 2023, 14:44

Interesting. In respect to the normal pork enzyme amount, how much is the amount that you would feed? I'd be very willing to give it a try with him.