Test Results

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
kimmyb
State: California

Test Results

Post by kimmyb » 27 Feb 2019, 14:30

I'm sorry for the multiple posts :D But can someone explain what the TLI, Cobalamin and Folate reading should be? I see different answers here and there but just wanting to understand how my dogs readings compare to normal...
We are from San Diego, California. Our chocolate lab mixed breed (father unknown) GUS was born June 5, 2018. At 8 months on February 22, 2019 he was diagnosed with EPI (LPI .5, Cobalamin 785, Folate 13.9).

We are still feeding Kahoots Grain Free Wild Caught Salmon with 1 tsp of Pancreazyme Enzymes per feeding.... planning to try Enzyme Diane 8x once we use up the prescription powder from the vet.

Trying to learn as we go! Gus also has his brother/best friend Louie the English Bulldog who doesn't like to be left out so he's in the picture too :lol:

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Re: Test Results

Post by jilbert57 » 27 Feb 2019, 23:38

Hi. Have you gone through all the tabs on the EPI site? It carefully explains the tests and the results parameters. Also when you look at your dogs test results it will have your dogs score then the reference range. It will give you suggestions if your test results are not in range. Hope this helps.
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 28 Feb 2019, 02:43

this is from Texas AM website

Serum Trypsin-Like Immunoreactivity (TLI)
Reference Intervals
Canine 5.7 - 45.2 µg/L

Serum Cobalamin (Vitamin B12) and Folate
Reference Interval
Cobalamin Folate
Canine 251 - 908 ng/L 7.7 - 24.4 µg/L

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

these two show the normal range

but, on the results from your laboratory it should show the paramters they use

with EPI dogs not being able to produce the intrinsic factor which is essential to digestion , it is suggested that the cobalamin should be somewhere near, or, over 600, my girl cannot hold her cobalamin level at all

please ask away, and if you dont understand, you are welcome to contact me direct

Jean
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 01 Mar 2019, 19:55

FYI... you only want to be concerned with:

1. the TLI reading (this tells you if your dog has EPI)
2. the B12 level (Cobalamin) this tells you what your dog's B12 level is at. (over 82% of all EPI dogs need B12 supplementation for life)

3. The Folate level used to be used to indicate SID but we have since discovered that this is not accurate AND that all EPI dogs virtually have SID to one degree or another and what we now recommend is to treat if it is not in good control.

SID is "small intestinal dysbiosis"... used to be called SIBO which was "small intestinal bacterial overgrowth".... however, with EPI dogs they recently discovered that their guts are a mess... they dont' have enough bacteria nor do they have enough variety of bacteria.... BUT a lot of the common probiotics are loaded with the type of bacteria that EPI dogs already have too much off.... so... in short probtiocs (unless they come up with more tailed ones) don't always work with our EPI dogs like they do with other dogs, althou sometimes with some dogs they do.

What does seem to work with SID (for now) if need be ... are "prebiotics".... or at least until them come up with more diversified probiotics.
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 01 Mar 2019, 20:32

Just wanted to welcome you - your pups are adorable.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.