Confusing blood test

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Floramac

Re: Confusing blood test

Post by Floramac » 21 Feb 2019, 14:20

Olesia, she now weighs 35 kg. 're the "SID will also munch away at the B12", should we up from one b12 tab per day?
Kenzie diagnosed Sept 2015. Fed 3 times a day on Millies Wolfheart, Panzym enzymes 1+ tsp per 120grams food, 1/8 tsp tylan twice a day, altenate 1/2 b12 per day. Also on 1 previcox a day for arthritis in paws and 1 Apoquel for allergies. Diagnosed with poor heart contractibility Sept 2020, on 1 Vetmedin twice a day. 2nd heart scan March 21 shows little deterioration so appear to be working.

Latest TLI was 5.5 Previous readings have been TLI - 3.4 and 4.2.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 22 Feb 2019, 10:59

Just upp the Tylan.... leave the B12 as is.
And keep us posted.

Yea... a lot of vets are still going by what they were taught in school and in the vet journals... but the vets who deal a lot with SID in EPI dogs (and such) have finally come to the realization that the Folate score is completely useless in determining if an EPI dog does or does not have SID..... unfortunately due to recent research, ALL EPI dogs have SID to one degree or another...(again, not something all vets know unless they stay on top of super current reserach, and since EPI is not the most common condition, they have too many other things to stay on top of..... so.... the object is to keep SID in good control....

Quite a while back.... Texas A&M did explain the flaws with the Folate testing.... which we have also explained on this website on the Managing EPI page https://epi4dogs.com/managing-epi/ :.... BUT.... there is so much info on the website, that sometimes the details get lost.....

Anyway.... here's the takeaway on Folate test results and SID:

"The best way to assess SID/SIBO is by (1) symptoms and (2) accompanying medical ailment, in this case EPI, and treat early on for best results. Folate test results such as Culturing, Counting bacterial numbers, and Duodenal juice collection all have majors flaws in their technique rendering them inaccurate indications of SID/SIBO. Recent studies have determined that it is not the number of bacteria but rather “the type of flora and/or how the host and flora interact that are more important than numbers.”

But no worries..... that is why we all go on the forum.... to learn from one another.... we don't all have the answers..... but by helping each other out with the snippets of the information we do know really helps :)
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Floramac

Post by Floramac » 22 Feb 2019, 15:18

Thanks, really appreciate the info and will keep you updated.
Kenzie diagnosed Sept 2015. Fed 3 times a day on Millies Wolfheart, Panzym enzymes 1+ tsp per 120grams food, 1/8 tsp tylan twice a day, altenate 1/2 b12 per day. Also on 1 previcox a day for arthritis in paws and 1 Apoquel for allergies. Diagnosed with poor heart contractibility Sept 2020, on 1 Vetmedin twice a day. 2nd heart scan March 21 shows little deterioration so appear to be working.

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 22 Feb 2019, 21:39

Congratulations on the weight gain - wahoooo
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

Floramac

Post by Floramac » 23 Feb 2019, 06:39

Madelon, Weight gain?

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 23 Feb 2019, 21:37

Sorry I misread your post - I thought she had gained weight. My apologies.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.