Introducing Changes - Is Mushy stool good enough to expect?

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Re: Introducing Changes - Is Mushy stool good enough to expect?

Post by Olesia711 » 16 Nov 2023, 11:08

yes your vet is correct that some dogs do not do well on Tylan and diarrhea happens.... HOWEVER...... please do not stop the Tylan (yet)... it is crucial to do ONE-STEP-AT-A-TIME...

You are currently doing a food switch (as your current "ONE-STEP AT A TIME).... SO stay on the Tylan (for now)

Yes, when you reach the 45 day mark, try transitioning off rather than stopping cold turkey. UNLESS after the food transition to grain free, you see absolutely no change (improvement) what soever... in that case, the stop the Tylan cold turkey.

FYI the Tylan transitioning end technique... this is what it is.
At the 45 day mark, do not stop completely, but rather for the 1st week afterwards, give 1/2 dose Tylan around breakfast & dinner meals.
The 2nd week afterwards, give 1/2 dose Tylan with only one meal a day
The 3rd week afterwards, give 1/2 dose with only one meal a day every other day.
Then stop completely.

Often times, this slow withdrawal improves the success of staying off Tylan for the near future.
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 16 Nov 2023, 11:19

Regarding that excessive water drinking..... many MANY times, when these dogs are first diagnosed with EPI and the enzymes are implemented.... all of a sudden they start drinking a ton of water.... sometimes to the point of even having accidents in the house.... BUT.... when this happens... this issue subsides usually within a few to 3 weeks..... sometimes to a month at the most.

SO.... quite honestly, i suspect that this is most likely what is going on.

HOWEVER, that being said.... ALWAYS be aware that it could be something else.... so... since you have a vet appt tomorrow.... please tell your vet that although this (excessive thirst) is most likely from the enzymes.... (you can explain that this is an observation we noticed after dealing with thousands of EPI dogs over the course of 15 years.) that you still would like to have your dog checked for possible.....
1. Urinary tract infection
2. Diabetes
3. regular CBC panel (just to make sure nothing that could indicate something other than EPI is out of whack)
..... just to be on the safe side

Regarding any other tests .... i would not do any further tests at this time..... instead......give everything you are doing/trying now time to produce the desired results. Most times, with EPI, lots of tests are not needed, but rather due diligence of trying things one at a time to find what the best "balance" of the EPI protocol serves your dog best :)

hope this helps ... and PLEASE be sure to share with your vet everything we suggest/recommend.
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Eddiespaghetti
State: California
Pet name: Eddie
My name: Jeremy

Post by Eddiespaghetti » 16 Nov 2023, 19:00

This is my opinion only. I would say save the Tylan weening process for last. While it is true some dogs have issues while being on Tylan, there is a chance that the Tylan powder is one of the things keeping the poopy from being worse. It could be trying it's hardest to help ward of SIDs but something else is causing issues. Some dogs have to be on a low dose of Tylan for life. Of course, talk to your vet.

One of Eddie's vets told me the increased water intake is partially because the muscles and fat cells are healing. They need increased water to help grow. I have zero idea if that is true or not, but Eddie has stopped drinking as much water. It should subside, as was stated.

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 17 Nov 2023, 10:46

Hi Jeremy,

Oh wow!!!! Thanks for that possible reason about "why" our EPI dogs often drink a lot more water when first started on the enzymes.... i honestly had no idea except to say that it almost always happens with our EPI dogs when started on enzymes but then it does subside after a few/+ weeks..

now that you have given me another possibility, aside from our thinking that the body simply has to get acclimated to the enzymes, hence the excessive thirst .....but without knowing WHY the body has to get acclimated :)..... i'll check with the researchers and ask them if this is what is going on !

Eddiespaghetti
State: California
Pet name: Eddie
My name: Jeremy

Post by Eddiespaghetti » 17 Nov 2023, 12:17

I really hope he wasn't making stuff up. It was explained a lot more eloquently than my explanation. The jist of it was, muscles need water to grow. That is why a lot of pre workout stuff, for people, help force water/nutrients into the muscles. The explanation seemed logical, so I just assumed it was correct.
Please let me know what the researchers say. I am wondering if I am correct or completely wrong.

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 17 Nov 2023, 18:09

I will indeed keep you posted with what they say.... i have a bunch of things to ask them... so i am just adding this to the list. It will be a while before i send the list :) but will keep you posted.

TheFatCampKid
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Elvira
My name: Julie

Post by TheFatCampKid » 27 Mar 2024, 14:49

Thank you all for the explanation of increased water intake.
Elvira has been drinking and urinating 2 to 3 times more than normal. We have a vet appointment soon, so we will still have it looked at. But, the reasons stated here make sense.

Thanks!