Severely Cracked Paw Pads - EPI Side Effect?

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Greyden
State: Idaho
Pet name: Dot
My name: Greyden

Severely Cracked Paw Pads - EPI Side Effect?

Post by Greyden » 03 Mar 2024, 13:13

Hi All,

Our rocky journey continues with Dot and want to thank everyone for their help previously. She is gaining a little weight but doesn’t yet have consistent good poo.

Dot has 2 feet with severely cracked pads and the other 2 are very dry and look like they want to crack. Took her to the vet last week. The recommendation for the most severe foot (didn’t look at the other 3) was to put Musher’s Secret or the like on it. Think of the most painful crack you’ve ever had on a finger and multiply that by 10.

Dot has never had paw problems even with our most severe Idaho winters. This winter has been very mild. Don’t know if this is a weather problem or side effect of poor nutrition caused by EPI. Anyone had any problems like this?

Also, if you’ve had experience with a severely cracked pad, what did you do to get it to heal?

We have been treating the really bad paws with Aquaphor (approved by the vet) and just started Musher’s Secret on the others. Her right front is the worst is very painful. Have tried wrapping with little success. Now have bootie on the worst paw and a blow-up collar so that she can’t tear it off.

Dot is day-blind and has lots of fear aggression. We muzzle her and love on her profusely to dr. her feet. She just trembles when we work with her. We are as gentle as we can be but it is still traumatic for her (and us).

Thoughts? Ideas?
Thanks
Dot is our day blind 3 1/2 year old half Idaho Shag half Australian Cattle Dog. She was diagnosed with EPI in late January 2024. We continue to try to figure out her best protocol.....

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Re: Severely Cracked Paw Pads - EPI Side Effect?

Post by jilbert57 » 03 Mar 2024, 14:15

It sounds like hyperkeratosis maybe? I healed my dogs paws by using Solva-ker gel. It took awhile to heal. I do also keep mushers secret on hand but it made my aussies feet slippery.

I haven't heard of this as a side effect of Epi, but I may be wrong.

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Greyden

Post by Greyden » 03 Mar 2024, 15:08

Hey Jill,
No hyperkeratosis - normal pads just awful cracks.
RE the Musher’s Secret - make sure to use the right amount - easy to use too much and massage it in. We actually just had her “fingerprint” her paws in the container then rubbed it in - worked pretty well and seems comfortable walking on non carpeted floors.

I will look up the gel you suggest. Did you wrap your dog’s feet?
Thanks!
Dot is our day blind 3 1/2 year old half Idaho Shag half Australian Cattle Dog. She was diagnosed with EPI in late January 2024. We continue to try to figure out her best protocol.....

jilbert57
Staff

Post by jilbert57 » 03 Mar 2024, 15:20

Yes I put socks on initially till it worked its way in. But socks on an aussie don't work great. I did follow the mushers instructions but for some reason her paws remained slick.

Since mushers is working for you I would keep it up.

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Greyden

Post by Greyden » 03 Mar 2024, 15:28

The musher’s working on the 2 feet that are dry but not too cracked (as in not painful). Sorry it didn’t work for your Aussies. I think Dot actually likes it.
The sock thing is sorta what we’ve done - then tried an outdoor boot and inflatable collar with better success but her foot is SO painful. It makes us cry for her.
She already has too much to deal with.
Thanks again

jilbert57
Staff

Post by jilbert57 » 03 Mar 2024, 16:22

Here is an article. A couple medical issues can also cause cracked pads.
https://www.masterclass.com/articles/cracked-dog-paws

Jill

Greyden

Post by Greyden » 03 Mar 2024, 20:26

Hi Jill,
Thank you fir the article. It brought into focus some of the info I had seen piecemeal.
I'm pretty much doing what is suggested- just find that Dot is not responding as wuickly as hoped.

Thanks again