Izzy, the inspiration for Epi4Dogs passed away....

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Izzy, the inspiration for Epi4Dogs passed away....

Post by Olesia711 » 18 Feb 2020, 20:05

It is with deep sadness to share with you that the inspiration for Epi4Dogs, Izzy, passed away on
February 13, 2020, from kidney failure at the age of 15. Our hearts are broken and our home is so silent and empty.

IZZY
Izzy was a funny, sweet, joyful and very affectionate plain brown little Spanish water dog, who had a huge personality and was so full of life!

Every day for 15 years, Izzy would wake me up and we would start our routine. I swear she woke up smiling, with a twinkle in her eye and started planning her mischievous little antics for that day. She sure could make us laugh. Izzy was such a little smarty pants that I could just talk to her and she’d do whatever I asked. And she loved to tease the other dogs in the house. Everything that was hers was hers, and what was theirs was hers too. We dubbed her “greedy girl”. But on the flip side, she was a great little helper. No matter what I asked her to do for me, she did. Whether is was to bring something to me like my shoes, (and she always brought the correct matching set of footwear too), glasses, clothing, jewelry, etc. Or get something from my pocketbook like keys, wallet or comb, or if she had a job to do like put away the toys or carry dirty laundry to the laundry room, or bring me something I needed that I was working on. It was uncanny how she knew what I needed when I asked for something. When we went places, folks had fun with her because we would take an object from their person, hide it and Izzy would find it and return the item back to the right person within seconds. She loved going to the nursing home and always knew which patients needed a little extra time or doggie kisses.

Over time, she developed multiple health conditions in addition to EPI, but had such a positive spirit that she not only survived she flourished through it all. Until last week, when the light went out of her eyes and I knew it was time to let her go. We had a vet come to the house Feb 13th and Izzy passed quietly in my arms in our home. But even before she left this earth, she still managed to help one more dog, by giving her remaining enzymes to the vet that helped her cross over, to help another client that was struggling. Ironically, on the same day that Izzy passed away, a research grad student was approved to do EPI research on a new EPI Genetics Study at Clemson University.
She was my best friend, my all-time companion, once in a life-time heart dog, who taught me so much. She literally changed the course of my life. So many have said that I took such good care of her and gave her so much of my time... but they all had it backwards, I was the lucky one to have had Izzy in my life! God Speed Sweet Girl.

IZZY’S LEGACY
Izzy, who developed EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), was the inspiration for Epi4Dogs, that was started 12 years ago and later became a non-profit charitable organization. At the time of her diagnosis she was only 1+1/2 years old. I had no idea what this condition was. When I researched it, it said only German Shepherds and Rough Coated Collies developed EPI. What? Izzy was a Spanish Water Dog! And then when I found out how expensive the enzymes were. I was in shock. I remember my husband saying, you know we can’t afford these enzymes for the life of the dog. But how could we put her down, she was such a sweet little being. So, I started researching the internet. Luckily, I eventually connected with Enzyme Diane. Thank Goodness... because of Enzyme Diane we were able to afford the enzymes for Izzy and I will forever be grateful to her!

In the meantime, I was troubled that there wasn’t more current EPI information out there, EPI research was not really being pursued, and that it was a misnomer that only GSDs and Rough Coated Collies got EPI. So, Epi4Dogs was born.
The objective of Epi4Dogs was and continues to be to bring better awareness to the condition and to help those struggling with EPI. And to further EPI research in hopes of finding answers as to why EPI happens. Epi4Dogs now has over 4,000 members and has assisted almost 3,000,000 people world-wide since it’s existence. And finally, EPI is now recognized in all breeds.

Over the years, Epi4Dogs has connected with some of the best veterinarian researchers and veterinarian universities worldwide. We have collaborated with some on research, some have advised and guided us, others have sought us out for advice and information. We have been published multiple times and have presented at many seminars and conferences through the years. Some of the EPI research that Epi4Dogs has collaborated on has been on Genetics, Bile Acids, Dysbiosis, Vitamin Supplementation, Metabolomics, Microbiome, Slippery Elm, Enteric Coated Enzymes, etc.
In honor of Izzy’s legacy and all the advances that have been made because of her inspiration. I would like to acknowledge and thank those that have helped us accomplish so much. First, I am forever thankful to:
* Dr. David A Williams (Univ of Illinois), the premier vet researcher & developer of the gold-standard TLI test who has become my mentor in all things EPI and who guided and advised me along the way. Dr. Williams is also the lead investigator in multiple EPI research projects along with:
* Dr. Patrick Barko (Univ of Illinois), an innovative and rising star in research, currently one of the lead researchers in the Metabolomic & Microbiome study.
* Dr. Leigh Anne Clark (Clemson Univ) who has done multiple EPI genetics studies and is continuing her work on EPI genetics.
* Dr. Jan Suchodolski (Texas A&M Gastrointestinal Lab /TAMU) who has also done multiple studies on EPI gut flora/microbiome.
* Dr. Kate Tsai (Clemson)
* Dr. Jorg Steiner (TAMU),
* Dr. Cyrus (TAMU)
* Dr. Anne Mossler (Germany),
* Dr. Penny Watson (UK)
All who have all contributed to Epi4Dogs and EPI Research.

And last but not least, a very special and heartfelt thanks to Craig Taylor who created our fantastic website, and to the wonderful, staff at Epi4Dogs (Andrea, Ann, Barb, Craig, Dar, Devika, Diane, Elisabeth, Fiona, Jean, Jill, Judy, Julie, Madelon, Paula, Shirl, Staci, Susan, Terry and Tracey). All who volunteer their time and knowledge 24/7 to help others.

Thank you to all who have helped make Epi4dogs be what it is today and may Izzy’s EPI legacy continue to help others for as long as needed..............
Attachments
~1490641821~Izzy+ball-r.jpg
~1490641821~Izzy+ball-r.jpg (76.4 KiB) Viewed 4936 times
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Re: Izzy, the inspiration for Epi4Dogs passed away....

Post by jilbert57 » 18 Feb 2020, 20:23

Olesia, that is so beautiful. Love rhat Izzy girl. God rest her soul.

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Ruby
State: Florida

Post by Ruby » 18 Feb 2020, 20:28

Thank you for sharing the story of Izzy and her life with you. She was a blessing to you in soooo many ways and then to be used to help so many others. Thank you, thank you, thank you for sharing your life and times with Izzy. Loved every moment of reading what you shared.

Buttermom1
Staff
State: Texas

Post by Buttermom1 » 18 Feb 2020, 20:49

Absolutely beautiful tribute to and absolutely beautiful pup.... Rest easy Izzy. We’ll take it from here...

Susan

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 18 Feb 2020, 22:05

That little brown dog was the most amazing girl! Thanks to her thousands of lives across the world have been saved and will continue to be saved because of you and her. Thank you for sharing her with us. Run free sweet Izzy
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 18 Feb 2020, 23:40

Thanks everyone for your kind and thoughtful comments.... they mean a lot to me.
Hugs to all.
Olesia Image
Attachments
Izzy5.jpg
Izzy5.jpg (2.58 MiB) Viewed 4922 times
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Boonesgrama
State: Florida
Pet name: Boone
My name: Joanne

Post by Boonesgrama » 18 Feb 2020, 23:58

Beautiful tribute for a precious pup. I’m so very sorry for your loss. I feel your pain but your sweet memories and her legacy live on and on.

TessGSD
Pet name: Tess

Post by TessGSD » 19 Feb 2020, 00:36

We are lost for words right now and really not sure what to say... it was like she could live forever - and she will. Izzy saved the life of our Tess and thousands of others (if not millions) and she will be in our hearts forever.
Tess - German Shepherd
Stable since diagnosed, loving & enjoying life especially playing with her beloved Kong

Diagnosed: December 2016
TLI: less than 1 (no serum detectable)
Weight at diagnosis: 14kg
Weight (July 2018): 27.5kg :D
Current Weight: (February 2020): 26.6kg

Enzymes: Creon 25000 - 1 tablet per meal
B12: weekly B12 injections - has problems holding B12 levels

Food: Holistic Select Chicken & Brown Rice & Dried Sweet Potato Treats

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 19 Feb 2020, 05:55

What a lovely tribute,

From day one when I joined in 2010, the support from Olesia has been amazing, as have the staff behind the scenes

It has been my joy to be part of the staff when Kara was here,and now in her honour

Things have moved on over 10 years , it was only the forum then, and now its everywhere on social media giving much needed support to those in need

So Olesia please know that Izzy has been part of sooooo many lives around the world, and has saved many EPI dogs and cats, and given some vets knowledge and help

God bless, and love

Jean
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

Kohlesmomma
State: South Carolina
Pet name: Kohle
My name: Kellie

Post by Kohlesmomma » 19 Feb 2020, 08:53

You gave her a good life, and she gave to you in return. Nothing can replace certain bonds we have with animals that touch are hearts. I know you are hurting. I am so deeply sorry for your loss.
Kellie and Kohle