Disrupted Feeding Schedule

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Montgomery
Pet name: Montgomery (I'm a CAT!)
My name: V

Disrupted Feeding Schedule

Post by Montgomery » 05 May 2023, 21:33

My roommate has been in the hospital, and Montgomery's feeding schedule has been majorly disrupted. I work full-time, and though my boss adjusted my shifts so that it would be easier on the cats, he's still way off. I can't feed him as many times as he is usually fed. Mostly he's been okay, but this morning he was a little loose. When I came home there was one drip on the floor, but he seems to have made it to the litter box. This evening he is fine. I'm trying to be as consistant as I can with his meals. Not sure what else I can do. As a side note, his half-sister-cousin-auntie who also has sketchy digestion (but nowhere near what Montgomery experiences) has (knock on wood) completely cleared up. I think she was getting too many snackies...Animals...
Montgomery was born 20 March 2012. He eats extra lean ground chicken, lean ground pork and lean ground beef completed with Alnutrin and freeze-dried chicken liver, with hard-cooked egg. He gets two size zero capsules of Enzyme Diane's enzymes at each of his six meals, and a size four capsule of Tylan three times a day. He's a fierce little Spitfire with a roaring Merlin engine.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Re: Disrupted Feeding Schedule

Post by Olesia711 » 05 May 2023, 22:39

Hi V,

SO sorry to hear that your roommate is in the hospital.... i hope all goes well and that your roommate is home soon!
It
s hard when the schedule changes.... not sure of your hours, but would feeding a mini mela just before bedtime help any?

That's funny that the "half-sister-cousin-auntie"... actually got better... from not getting so many snacks,...... hahahaha!

Hope Montgomery can weather the disruption without too many issues.............
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Montgomery

Post by Montgomery » 06 May 2023, 19:28

Well, I get up at three in the morning, get everyone fed, Mary, Sylvia, Montgomery and Flapjack get their medications. Wash dishes, clean litter boxes, bolt a cup of coffee and a dish of ceral, throw on my clothes and run for it. I get off work between one and two-thirty in the afternoon. I rush home, get them fed before I even take my shoes off. They eat again between five and five-thirty, then between eight and eight-thirty, and then we all go to bed, so I don't know what else to do.
We fostered a lot of kittens from where Montgomery came from, and kept three of them. Sylvia Rose is going to be sixteen this year. She has frequent bouts of diarrhea with no known cause. Her arms are also quite a bit shorter than her legs (just like Montgomery), and they have similar facial features, expressions, and cattitude. Thobias is turning thirteen. He has the same snarled intestine as Montgomery, has had a couple of bouts of SID. Compared to Sylvia and Montgomery, he's huge at fifteen pounds. He's a good cat, but dumber than mud. Montgomery has run intellctual circles around him since he toddled out of the Vari-Kennel at three weeks old, after deciding he could walk. They all get mean on catnip. They all like to sing. They all like to bite people. All three will still spit. Sylvia spits the loudest. They are all left-handed.
Faye really needed to spay and neuter her barn cats. This is fascinating, seeing the similarities between generations, but it isn't healthy. All three were orphaned kittens. Montgomery's sister Marigold did not live. Broke our hearts.
Montgomery was born 20 March 2012. He eats extra lean ground chicken, lean ground pork and lean ground beef completed with Alnutrin and freeze-dried chicken liver, with hard-cooked egg. He gets two size zero capsules of Enzyme Diane's enzymes at each of his six meals, and a size four capsule of Tylan three times a day. He's a fierce little Spitfire with a roaring Merlin engine.

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 06 May 2023, 22:34

wow..... quite the kitty menagerie`..... sounds like they sure keep you on your toes!!!!
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Montgomery

Post by Montgomery » 07 May 2023, 07:54

There are ten of them all together, from eighteen and a half years old to seven and a half years old. They are all foster fails, deemed "unadoptable" due to medical issues, or being painfully shy like Susan, or feral like Nia, Dusty and Rosey. The two who concern me most are Montgomery and Flapjack, who don't do well with disruption. Montgomery can handle it mentally, but his digestive system isn't pleased. Flapjack has a hard time mentally and physically. Hopefully she's back next week. Fingers crossed. Thanks for the advice!

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 08 May 2023, 19:59

Whenever I feel overwhelmed with Madison's medication schedule, I am going to read your post. Wow. You sure have a lot going on.....and you sound so calm. Those kitties are really lucky to have landed in your care. How generous of you to take them in.

Barb

Montgomery

Post by Montgomery » 09 May 2023, 20:57

It's what you get used to, right? They're my colony and I know them. Fortunately, Abi came back home to-day. Unfortunately, Our eldest, Nia, seems to have suffered a stroke. She is rebounding, but now she's a six pound four week-old kitten. We'll see how she is in the morning. Her appetite has returned with a vengance, though, oddly.
Thank you for all your advice and support.

Chance
Pet name: Chance
My name: Andrea

Post by Chance » 20 May 2023, 16:56

It's always stressful when our schedule changes, household changes or anything going on. It's always a concern about how it will affect our babies. Getting things in balance can take sooo long.. then you don't want to rock that boat!

I am glad your roommate is back. Hopefully feeling better quickly!

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 20 May 2023, 20:42

oh wow V..... you are caring for 10??? and all with health issues? My goodness, you certainly are their angel.
I hope Nia is doing better.... it s hard to watch them after they have experienced a stroke... once a vibrant personality and then not.... heartbreaking.....

Montgomery

Post by Montgomery » 20 May 2023, 22:32

The ones with health issues are Montgomery, Flapjack, Mary, Sylvia Rose and Thobias, and Penny at the moment has a UTI but it is minor and she is on antibiotics. Susan, Dusty, and Rosey are feral. Nia rebounded but it was short-lived and she was euthanized last week at eighteen and a half years old.