Getting LYPEX in the US/CREON Dosing

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Rowan's Mom
Pet name: Rowan
My name: Elissa

Getting LYPEX in the US/CREON Dosing

Post by Rowan's Mom » 20 Mar 2023, 11:44

Hi all. I am based in the US. My cat, Rowan, was recently diagnosed with EPI. I started him on pancreatic enzyme powder last week, but I want to try switching him to enteric-coated beads since they are tasteless and require less prep time. I would appreciate any thoughts and guidance on using LYPEX and CREON. Since LYPEX is specifically formulated for cats/dogs, I am leaning in that direction, but I am finding I might not be able get any in the states. I would be able to get CREON though. Please see my specific questions below:

—LYPEX: Can you advise on a retailer that ships Lypex to the US? I keep running into roadblocks with the UK sites I’ve tried so far.
—CREON: Which Creon dosing option should I be ordering? (He is currently eating 2.5-3 oz sized meals)

Thank you so much!

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Re: Getting LYPEX in the US/CREON Dosing

Post by Olesia711 » 20 Mar 2023, 13:13

i do not know if it is even feasible to ship Lypex from the UK to the US.... there might be restrictions since it is a prescription drug.

REgarding trying CREON with your kitty..... i don't recall starting a cat on CREON, although it should be fine as it is the correct type of enzymes. The trick with giving CREON (enteric coated pellets) to our pets all depends on their digestive pH level. My understanding is that a cat's digestive pH is between 1 and 2 ..... similar to a dog's digestive pH which is usually around 1.

I would suggest starting with CREON 3,000... and opening the capsule and start with sprinkling 1/2 of the capsule's pellets on top of moist food (so that the pellets have something to stick to) and serve immediately.

In the meantime, i will contact some EPI cat members that might be able to help you out. with additional information................
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Rowan's Mom

Post by Rowan's Mom » 20 Mar 2023, 13:31

If I can get the Lypex somehow, do you think that would be a better starting option since it's developed for pets? It may be more expensive, but I just want to have the best shot of success here (I can put cost to the side). If I went with Lypex, how much would I start with for the 3 oz meal?

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 20 Mar 2023, 20:17

Yes, if you can get Lypex.... i think that would be better to start with.

With regards to how much to feed... this is what we have with regards to giving dogs LYPEX:
Image.... to start with first recalculate according to the amount of food you are giving even though it is for a cat... since the pH level is similar. If/when it does work as expected, then adjust (probably with a pinch more enzymes).

FYI this information is in the UK section on this page:
https://epi4dogs.com/epi-quick-guides-outside-usa/
Attachments
Lypex.jpg
Lypex.jpg (15.11 KiB) Viewed 1053 times
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 21 Mar 2023, 20:23

Hi Rowan's mom,

Well i spoke to a lady who does use CREON for her cat.... with great success... although she too had to play around with the dosage like we do with dogs on CREON until they found the magic dose that works.

In short, start with CREON 3000 like i suggested...... i personally would still start with 1/2 the capsule first to see how it goes... if poos go soft, then give the whole capsule. Open the capsule up and sprinkle on something moist so that the little pellets have something to stick to and serve immediately.
What this lady who uses CREON does (because their cat like dry food) is that they open the CREON and place the CREON pellets into treat sticks
https://www.amazon.com/Tiki-Cat-Chicken-Mousse-Pouches/dp/B07B4MSG3R
and then they give their cat her meal of dry food.

What she also said is that her husband did the calculations and for their cat.... and CREON 3000 covers 60 calories of dry cat food ..... so even though you mostly have to cover the fat, this is a very good guideline to go by.

She alos said that they started with CREON 3000, but it got very expensive, so they switched to CREON 10,000, They order it from Australia (you can also order from Canada, for a greatly reduced price (i have this information on the enzyme page) you can then open up the CREON 10,000 and divide into 4 parts equaling 250 and give with the meals.....or however the calculations work out best for your kitty.

And lastly, this lady, Mary Jo said if you would like, she'd be willing to speak to you over the phone.......(i will privately give you her tel number)

Hope this helps!

Rowan's Mom

Post by Rowan's Mom » 22 Mar 2023, 07:34

Thank you for getting this information! I definitely would like to connect with with her to ask questions pertaining to treatment with cats specifically that may aid with our success.

One more general question that comes to mind - and this would apply to dogs too - is if it necessary to wash our fur baby's mouth after eating as it is with the powdered enzyme meal? Since the beads don't dissolve until they are in the system and I'd think it's less likely for a bead to randomly stick to the fur or lips, I'm assuming less caution must be taken? However, any tips or guidance with the routine would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 22 Mar 2023, 11:36

not necessary as long as you serve the pellets on top of west/moist food... but if you want to, it certainly wouldn't hurt.

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 23 Mar 2023, 07:27

I am from Liverpool UK

we used Lypex for 2 years but changed over due to expense

Lypex, like Creon, is an entreric coated enzyme, it is microspheres enclosed into a capsule which is broken open, and the spheres sprinked onto food, if its kibble, then you will need something wet for the spheres to stick to, for a cat maybe small amount of Yogurt, stir and serve immediately, there would be no need for a mouth wash after , the spheres only become active when they hit the gut, unlike powder which starts the operation in the mouth

I have no idea if you can get Lypex shipped to USA, it is classed as a supplement to get round shipping issues, and does not need a prescription in UK or Europe , you could try Amazon USA

As you said Lypex is specifically for pets , but Creon is widely used throughout the world where powdered enzymes are not available, or countries that have very severe customs conditions like Australia

its hard to get yourself accustomed to enzymes, I had an EPI cat back in the 1980's and it was so unheard of in a cat , but once she was sorted she lived to 20 yrs old, with no issues

Lypex like any other enzyme has to be given with every morsel of food

I will contact Vetplus for you to see if they know of anyone who ships to USA they dont deal with sales themselves

Jeanx
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

Rowan's Mom

Post by Rowan's Mom » 24 Mar 2023, 18:17

Jeanx,

Thank you for your response. I have seen improvement in this first week on the enzyme powder - less frequent stool and normal color and weight gain - but I'm very tired from the prep/wait/clean up and I already see some gum irritation inside Rowan's mouth. I had my vet prescribe Creon. We started this morning. If Creon can be effective (please please, let it work!), then it will be an amazing solution for the long haul. I'm nervous about a setback, but I'll just stay on top of things and increase the dose as I see anything fall off. I'm scared, but trying to be being brave for long-term advantages.

I spoke to another cat owner who covers the beads. I've been serving them on top of a spoonful of wet food with a modest amount of wet food on top of them to cover them - and I serve it right away. Then I immediately give him the rest of the meal. Do you think this approach is okay? I just like the idea of trapping the beads and also don't want to run the risk of him seeing the beads and spitting them out.

Montgomery
Pet name: Montgomery (I'm a CAT!)
My name: V

Post by Montgomery » 24 Mar 2023, 20:05

I was e-mailed and asked to chime in, but I don't check my e-mail very often, so I'm late to the show, and it seems like you're making progress.
I had asked the veterinarian about Creon for Montgomery a few years ago and was told she could not dose it small enough for him, so we never did try it. We use Enzyme Diane. I stuff them into size zero capsules and he gets two at each meal, adminstered with a pill gun and lots of water. I don't know if that helps you. If I can help you, I'd be glad to. Good luck!
Montgomery was born 20 March 2012. He eats extra lean ground chicken, lean ground pork and lean ground beef completed with Alnutrin and freeze-dried chicken liver, with hard-cooked egg. He gets two size zero capsules of Enzyme Diane's enzymes at each of his six meals, and a size four capsule of Tylan three times a day. He's a fierce little Spitfire with a roaring Merlin engine.