Getting LYPEX in the US/CREON Dosing

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Rowan's Mom
Pet name: Rowan
My name: Elissa

Re: Getting LYPEX in the US/CREON Dosing

Post by Rowan's Mom » 27 Mar 2023, 08:10

Montgomery, I understand your vet did not feel there was a Creon dosage available that was low enough for your cat. Do you know what dosage of Creon your vet would have wanted to start your cat on? In the US, Creon capsules begin at 3000 and that's what Rowan is currently taking for each meal. (It's only been 4 days so far.) Perhaps, in Canada the lowest dose capsule is 10,000?

Does anyone have small dog taking Creon? If so what dosage did you land on per meal/calorie count and how many meals per day?

Thanks for your feedback!

Montgomery
Pet name: Montgomery (I'm a CAT!)
My name: V

Post by Montgomery » 27 Mar 2023, 19:12

There was a difference at the time between what was available in Canada versus what was available in America, but as for what the dose would have been, I haven't a clue. Too long ago, I'm afraid. He was also only barely six pounds at the time.
Montgomery was born 20 March 2012. He eats extra lean ground chicken, lean ground pork and lean ground beef completed with Alnutrin and freeze-dried chicken liver, with hard-cooked egg. He gets two size zero capsules of Enzyme Diane's enzymes at each of his six meals, and a size four capsule of Tylan three times a day. He's a fierce little Spitfire with a roaring Merlin engine.

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 28 Mar 2023, 05:55

I am in the process of trying to get in touch with Vet Plus who manufacture Lypex for you , they are in UK, as soon as I hear I will let you know

Jeanx
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

Jean
Forum Director

Post by Jean » 30 Mar 2023, 11:48

I have a phone number for you in the States for Vetclusive is 001 770 6098836.

they are the USA people who deal with Vet Plus products who make Lypex

Good luck and let us know

jx

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

Jeanx

Rowan's Mom
Pet name: Rowan
My name: Elissa

Post by Rowan's Mom » 30 Mar 2023, 13:35

Thank you! Do you think that I'd be better off switching to Lypex if obtainable? Asking because started on the Creon path - not regulated but yet so far so good. Think Lypex would be an easier path?

Jean
Forum Director

Post by Jean » 30 Mar 2023, 16:47

trully dont know keep with what you have . keep a diary.and let us know

Lowest weight 39 pounds

Jeanx

jonathanhennig
State: Texas
Pet name: dog

Post by jonathanhennig » 29 Jan 2024, 20:55

If I can get the Lypex, do you think it will be a better starting place because it is intended for pets? It may cost more, but I want to have the best chance of success here. If I go with Lypex, how much should I start with for a 3-ounce meal?

poly track

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 30 Jan 2024, 13:05

Lypex is an enzymatic concentrate derived from the porcine pancreas gland, available in capsules, must be opened and sprinkled on food. Do not incubate on the food. The purified and concentrated pancreatic enzymes are made into micro-pellets and each pallet is enteric-coated. This gives 100% protection to the enzymes from the damaging degradative acids present in the stomach.

Within ten minutes of the pellets passing the stomach to the alkaline environment of the small intestine the protective enteric coating dissolves and releases the protected enzymes to maximize digestion.

Many EPI dog owners who have used Lypex have found that the directions on the Lypex packaging is not sufficient. Here is one example, “I used 4 Lypex per day. , whether it was two , three or four meals for my dog that weighed 17 kg when at her worst , to her optimum weight of 24 kg”

Technically for 100 grams of food, 1 Lypex is supposed to be sufficient.... but this is not always correct. You often have to give more, but it depends on the individual dog.
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

AIG
State: Oregon
Pet name: harley
My name: Amy

Post by AIG » 17 Feb 2024, 14:27

Hello, also in the US: Oregon. I have a kitten (now almost 7 mo, but he was born with this; we have had him and his sister, same litter, she does not have EPI, since November; lovely, wonderful babies.) I have many questions but the first is: we are using VEDCO PancredVEd powder, and I have never heard of the tasteless "beads"mentioned. I would like to know more about them, how to get them, if they are as effective as the powder (which is truly expensive and I know there are less expensive versions out there and do not know if I can trust those?) Any info would help.

Also, my kitten is still waking me three times a night out of hunger, even thought the vet is trying to help by having us give him feedings more often during the day, and my sleep is highly disturbed.

Finally, does anyone know of any catsitters ANYwhere would be available if one needs to travel? I would do this for someone else; I wonder if we could create a group that could assist each other?

Last, here is a great article on one of the main experts on cat EPI: a vet, faculty, researcher at Texas A&M. My own vet studied under him. https://epi4dogs.com/wp-content/uploads ... n-Cats.pdf

Best, Amy Gibson

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 17 Feb 2024, 22:54

Hi Amy,

Yes! Cats can take CREON. CREON is enteric coated little pellets in a gelatin capsule. CREON is designed for humans with a digestive pH of around 5 (between 4 and 6) whereas dog's and cat's digestive pH is different (around 1 to 1.5) , so people take the capsule whole.... but for cats and dogs it usually works better when the capsule is opened and the little enteric pellets are sprinkled on some damp food and eaten immediately.

With cats, start with CREON 5000 or CREON 6000. Open capsule, start with using 1/2 the capsule per meal. Sprinkle on top of wet food. Do not mix in the food. not incubate. Serve immediately. Watch poos for 2 to 3 days…. if poos remain loose, slightly increase the dose, watch the poo for another few days.

For more complete enzyme resources, go to https://epi4dogs.com/enzyme-list/
Listed here is where you can buy CREON at a reasonable price (Canadian online resources) but you will need a veterinarian script.
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........