New to the journey with questions

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
pupluv23
State: Missouri
Pet name: Tinsley

New to the journey with questions

Post by pupluv23 » 19 Jan 2023, 10:05

We have been out here on this site for about a month now researching and reading, and it has been so wonderful. Thank you to the creator and all of the contributors, forum posters, etc! We wouldn't be where we are on this journey without the information we found here.
Looooong story short, our pup is still waiting to be diagnosed. Hopefully we'll receive results at the end of the week from the 3rd TLI test that has been sent out. All 3 vets and our family believes that Tinsley has EPI, but the TLI has been 5.9 and 8.2 on the first 2 tests. Her B12 was normal and folate was high on both so far. This time the test was sent to Texas A&M instead of Idexx. Not sure we'll get any different results, but the university we last visited said it'd be a good comparison.
We've finally talked our local vet into ordering enzymes and Tylan powder to get started despite the 3rd test results. Our puppy (lab/hound mix) is down about 15 pounds and has no energy (weighed about 48-50lbs at her best and is now 33). She is starving and wasting away before our eyes it seems, and we just don't feel like we have any more time to wait. She's been on Metro antibiotics and Prednisone for about a month with no change. Hopefully the new stuff is here in the next day or 2.
I anticipate having other questions along the way, but our first question is about some anal leakage she is having. For the last month, she is leaking bright yellow grease/oil/liquid of some sort. Has anybody else experienced this symptom with their dog? It was just seeping out for awhile, but for the last couple of days it is also being expelled with gas. She has a long tail, so it gets all over that and then will leave residue wherever she lays, sits, etc. It smells like old cooking oil. We wipe her up many times throughout the day, but she is also licking it to keep herself clean.
Please let us know if you have experienced this and what worked to stop it? Wondering if this is all part of it or there is something specific that jumps out that we need to change/seek attention for immediately?

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Re: New to the journey with questions

Post by jilbert57 » 19 Jan 2023, 10:11

Hi and welcome to you and your pup. Quick question, was your pup food fasted 8-12 hrs before all of these Tli tests?

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

pupluv23
State: Missouri
Pet name: Tinsley

Post by pupluv23 » 19 Jan 2023, 10:32

Yes, she did. 12 hours for each.
She has most every EPI symptom - chronic yellow diarrhea cow patty poops with grease/oil, voracious appetite, weight loss, tummy gurgles and gas, etc.
The xrays and ultrasound were pretty unremarkable, but they did note lots of kibble still in her tummy (maybe motility issue?), a slightly enlarged gall bladder with no stones, etc. and lots of "juice" in her intestines (which we assume is this oil stuff?), pancreas normal size. 2 local vets and those at the university weren't overly worried about that stuff to start and suspect EPI, so that is what we are going to treat. If it doesn't work, maybe a severe case of IBD? I've researched a ton and just feel like it's EPI. Maybe something else in addition, but we need to start treatment to see how she reacts. She has shown subtle signs since June, and it got much worse in November. We've been testing and searching since the beginning of December. Tried food trials, etc. to no avail.

Montgomery
Pet name: Montgomery (I'm a CAT!)
My name: V

Post by Montgomery » 19 Jan 2023, 21:08

In the mean-time, diapers, baby wipes, and vaseline.
Montgomery was born 20 March 2012. He eats extra lean ground chicken, lean ground pork and lean ground beef completed with Alnutrin and freeze-dried chicken liver, with hard-cooked egg. He gets two size zero capsules of Enzyme Diane's enzymes at each of his six meals, and a size four capsule of Tylan three times a day. He's a fierce little Spitfire with a roaring Merlin engine.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 21 Jan 2023, 20:23

Hi Tinsley's human care-givers,

Sorry i am so late responding..... but what you are describing is not really common, but yes, we have had a handful or other EPI pet owners experience the same thing. Of course, this is no guarantee that this is EPI, but it sure sounds like it. However, am very glad to hear that you are doing the TLI test... even multiple tests.

Glad you are starting standard EPI treatment..... as it will not hurt on a temporary basis, even if not EPI..... you just don't want to keep a dog on it forever if there are no pancreatic issues, however, based on the previous test results... although both are out of the range of even subclinical EPI....... the 5.9 number is very close to being SEPI.... and sometimes this is how EPI begins.... the numbers slowly edge towards EPI ... but the symptoms are all full blown EPI.

HOWEVER all this to say.... if the TAMU numbers for the TLI comes back still out of EPI and out of SEPI range.....AND if the Tylan does not help at all....ask your vet to test for A-Typical Cushings....... the reason why i am saying this is because my vet (and myself) we were convinced that my oldest dog, Rico, also had EPI like my Izzy. Had all the EPI symptoms. But when we ran the TLI test, the test results came back 8.7.... not EPI and not even SEPI. So we tried the enzymes and Tylan, just like what you are planning on doing and still nothing improved.... just continued sloppy messy yellow pudding stools. So we kept on testing and testing..... it took almost two years to figure out what was wrong, but it turned out to be A-Typical CUshings, displayed none of the CUshing symptoms, but rather did display many of the EPI symptoms, just wasn't EPI either. As soon as they put Rico on Cushing meds, Lysodren, within 5 days he started having normal poos. SO.... i am just sharing this in case this turns out not to be EPI.....

Please keep us posted!
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

healthypup30
Pet name: Mon
My name: D

Post by healthypup30 » 10 Feb 2023, 17:54

Hi Tinsley's family,

Our dog was diagnosed with EPI in April of last year and has been on meds. She had exactly the same symptoms with Tinsley before on meds and it got overall better but she still has anal leakage every now and then.

How's Tinsley doing? Has yellow oil/liquid/gas stopped? Please let me know if any of your vets figured out what it is. I've tried four vets but they couldn't even identify what this yellow leakage even is :,(

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 10 Feb 2023, 18:38

Hi D,

I too hope to hear from Tinsley's family..... but an oily leakage from a dog's anus could be plugged anal glands. Especially if you suddenly smell something like real stinky fish.

However, there are other possibilities.... here is a good link that you might want to read to see if any sound like they apply to your dog's situation:
https://www.merckvetmanual.com/dog-owners/digestive-disorders-of-dogs/disorders-of-the-rectum-and-anus-in-dogs
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

annata20
State: New York
Pet name: AIKII
My name: Annata

Post by annata20 » 29 Jan 2024, 02:32

healthypup30 wrote: 10 Feb 2023, 17:54 Hi Tinsley's family,

Our dog was diagnosed with EPI in April of last year and has been on meds. She had exactly the same symptoms with Tinsley before on meds and it got overall better but she still has anal leakage every now and then.

How's Tinsley doing? Has yellow oil/liquid/gas stopped? Please let me know if any of your connections vets figured out what it is. I've tried four vets but they couldn't even identify what this yellow leakage even is :,(
My dog is the same, it's too bad I can't find a solution for him yet