Strange Behavior

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
jean546
State: Pennsylvania
Pet name: Rudy
My name: Susan

Strange Behavior

Post by jean546 » 30 Dec 2022, 17:09

Hi Everyone,
Hope everyone's holidays were great! Update: Rudy is doing really well, I have been mixing Pancreplus and Enzyme Diane 8X, so far, he has been doing ok on this regimen. I also put Elm's bark in his food. He has gained 11 lbs. after losing 10 lbs.!! My question is this, Rudy stopped eating his own poop, but now my other dog is eating Rudy's poop as soon as he is done going!!??
AJ has never eaten poop before, not his own or any other dog's poop, why would he start doing this?? Any ideas? Does it have anything to with the enzymes? AJ and Rudy are related, but I can't see that having anything to do with it. He only eats it when Rudy goes on our property somewhere, not when we go on walks or out hiking in public areas either. Any information would be helpful and I also would like to be sure this isn't hurting AJ to be eating it. I've tried stopping him, but he gets to it so fast and we live in the woods, he runs around trees and bushes so I can't get to him fast enough!! Thank you for any info!!

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Re: Strange Behavior

Post by Olesia711 » 30 Dec 2022, 18:45

how sweet of you to worry.... but i suspect the reason why AJ is eating Rudy's poop is cause it still has some "undigested" nutrients still in it, even with the enzymes....

You can try the following... sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.... when you prepare Rudy's meal... add 1 tsp of crushed pineapple. Sometimes this acts as a poop eating deterrent...... ... supposedly it tastes good going in, but not so much afterwards in poop..............

We have also had reports of some EPI dogs... when their SID is getting out of control again ... birds will swoop in and start pecking at their poo..... translation... not all the nutrients are getting digested......... so Rudy's SID may be getting out of control a bit............

Another thing you can try is to give a pinch more enzymes with the meal.... see if this helps.
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 30 Dec 2022, 19:18

Chew No Poo works pretty well, but it's kind of expensive. The same thing happened at my house. Weird.
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

jean546

Post by jean546 » 31 Dec 2022, 13:00

Thank you so much for answering and letting me know this great information. I always forget about the SID! It's funny you said that because today he started having loose stools, I will call the vet and get him back on Tylan!!This website is the best and having such great support is so wonderful!! Knowing you guys are always there for me is a God send!! What a wonderful website full of information!!

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 31 Dec 2022, 14:08

Ahhhh.... out of control SID..... can make an EPI dog's poo rather delectable :lol: ....... for some.................. (YUCK!) but glad you figured out the probable issue and contacted the vet to get things straightened out!

Happy New Year!
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Hatints
State: West Virginia
Pet name: Philip
My name: aChup6oe

Post by Hatints » 05 Jan 2023, 02:55

It's not uncommon for dogs to eat feces, and it can be a normal behavior in some cases. However, it is generally considered to be a harmful habit and it can be difficult to break. There are several possible reasons why your dog AJ might be eating Rudy's feces. It could be due to a deficiency in their diet, a behavior learned from their mother or other dogs, or it could be due to medical issues such as pancreatic insufficiency or inflammatory bowel disease. It's also possible that the enzymes you are adding to their diet could be contributing to the behavior.

In any case, it's important to address this behavior as soon as possible. Eating feces can lead to gastrointestinal problems and can transmit parasites and diseases. If you are concerned about AJ's health, I recommend consulting with a veterinarian to rule out any medical causes and to get advice on how to address the behavior. In the meantime, you can try to prevent AJ from eating Rudy's feces by picking up the feces as soon as Rudy goes, using a leash to keep AJ away from the feces when you are outside, and providing plenty of mental and physical stimulation to keep AJ occupied. You can also try adding something to AJ's diet that makes the feces less appealing, such as pineapple or pumpkin.

jean546

Post by jean546 » 22 Jan 2023, 13:50

I got Rudy on Tylan and AJ stopped eating Rudy's poop. Rudy also is pooping much better!! Thank you everyone for the advice!!!

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 22 Jan 2023, 14:05

Hi SUsan,

So glad that things are dramatically improving now that Rudy is on Tylan... i swear, SID is sometimes more trouble to manage than just EPI !

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 23 Jan 2023, 10:29

Congratulations on getting to the bottom of this issue. Honestly, we have to be detectives, don't we? Glad this part of the mystery is solved.

Barb