Seperation Anxiety?

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Montgomery
Pet name: Montgomery (I'm a CAT!)
My name: V

Seperation Anxiety?

Post by Montgomery » 27 Dec 2022, 19:52

Not EPI-related, so I hope you don't mind me asking this here, since it is generally more of a dog thing than a cat thing.
Anyhow...
Montgomery is my shadow. When I'm home, he's with me. If he's not on my shoulders, he's certainly within arm's reach. He participates in everything. He's ten years young. In these ten years, I have never had more than two days off in a row. However, last year I got a new job, and this company takes really good care of their staff, which means that for the first time since I was a young teenager, I've had six days off in a row. I go back to work on Friday. I haven't been out of the house since the 23rd...except for this evening, when I put the blue box outside. He did NOT like me putting on my parka. He tried to follow me out. I was gone two minutes. I came back to a very concerned little tabby cat sitting on the trunk in the foyer who absolutely HAD to be up on my shoulders and consoled. What am I going to do on Friday? I'll be gone over ten hours. He has nine other cats and another human, but I don't know how he's going to be....
Montgomery was born 20 March 2012. He eats extra lean ground chicken, lean ground pork and lean ground beef completed with Alnutrin and freeze-dried chicken liver, with hard-cooked egg. He gets two size zero capsules of Enzyme Diane's enzymes at each of his six meals, and a size four capsule of Tylan three times a day. He's a fierce little Spitfire with a roaring Merlin engine.

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Re: Seperation Anxiety?

Post by jilbert57 » 28 Dec 2022, 09:05

Hmm V good question. Does he like tv? Kong toys or toys for cats? Does he have a favorite article of clothing of yours he goes ape over? If so I would leave it for him to settle on.

Good luck

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Montgomery

Post by Montgomery » 28 Dec 2022, 10:02

He shoots marbles, shreds cardboard and paper, likes paper bags and catnip. If he wants my clothes, he opens the drawer and takes them himself. He always has a hot water bottle. Typical cat, though, hard to distract when he has his mind on something.
Montgomery was born 20 March 2012. He eats extra lean ground chicken, lean ground pork and lean ground beef completed with Alnutrin and freeze-dried chicken liver, with hard-cooked egg. He gets two size zero capsules of Enzyme Diane's enzymes at each of his six meals, and a size four capsule of Tylan three times a day. He's a fierce little Spitfire with a roaring Merlin engine.

Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 28 Dec 2022, 10:16

V, I have a Maltese with similar behavior, but she was helped with the addition of another rescue. Since you have plenty of feline company in your home, and since that has been covered, I'd go with Jill's suggestion.

Maybe make sure he can reach your bed & your pillow, and leave things you have worn around the house, where he can also have access to things that smell like you.

I'm not a cat person, at all, but my petfinder group has lots of suggestions like these for luring cats back home, and I just figured they'd be comforting for Montgomery, too.

Additionally, I see there is a Bach Rescue Remedy that's intended for cats.

I like that the forum allows us to share off topic; since this is a tribe full of wonderful animal lovers, there is always someone who has had a similar problem as the writer. Only this morning, I opted for a Cytopoint injection for said Maltese, because I have read good things about it on the forum. (This came up because after a quick glance at her bottom side, where she's been licking incessantly, my uncaffeinated eyes thought she had disemboweled herself & we went tearing off to the closest vet. She has a UTI, and her vulva was swollen. Her insides were still inside, where they belong). Good times.

I hope Montgomery will be OK, and I have to say, I am always touched by how much you love that little fella. --- Pam
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

Montgomery

Post by Montgomery » 28 Dec 2022, 11:10

I'm glad your pup's insides are still on the inside. "Prolapse" was a word the veterinarian often threw around when Montgomery was younger and the thought of it was horrifying. As much as a UTI sucks, at least it's easy enough to treat. Poor dog!
He has his nest at the foot of the bed, made from every soft and fuzzy thing he could possibly want, including a hot water bottle that is refreshed several times a day. He is often in his nest, and Sylvia Rose, Rosalie, and Susan Quinn are often there with him. Everything I have is his, as far as he's concerned. My knitting needles bear his teeth marks. I arrive at work with white hairs on my shoulders. He has his catnip rainbows, his marbles, his stuffed cat and assortment of stuffed sheep, as well as any article of clothing of mine he should desire. He seems to like my hoodies. I'm not worried about him beyond day one. Friday will be a challenge. He acts out when he's upset, so he might give my roommate a hard time. Refusing to eat is his typical form of protest.