First time poster in need of help.

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
HunnysMom
State: Texas
Pet name: Hunny
My name: Jen

Re: First time poster in need of help.

Post by HunnysMom » 28 Nov 2022, 18:07

I’m here with an update and a bit of excitement. Please share thoughts you have as a reply. 😊

Hunny has been on 1/8 of tylison since last Wednesday 2x per day. I also took her enzymes from 1 tsp to 3/4 tsp. For the past few weeks she had been on the Hills I/d prescription diet which was recommended by 2 vets but tbh my gut said no this is not good.

She finished hills on Saturday.

On Sunday she started the high prairie taste of the wild salmon. She had some gas yesterday but nothing too bad.

Today for the first time in what feels like over 2 months she pooped NORMALLY!!

She pooped 4x (more than what she used to but with the shifts in food I feel it is to be expected) and it was BROWN and not diarrhea. It was not yellow!!!

I also noted that her weight has been stable the past 3 weeks.

She is scheduled for an ultrasound Wednesday but I’m canceling that for now. It is quite expensive and it doesn’t seem to make sense to have it. However I want to retest her blood for Epi and other levels 30 days after her initial blood.

If you have further thoughts please let me know.
Attachments
C784B8EF-D386-4847-AF35-209E1CCD7553.jpeg
C784B8EF-D386-4847-AF35-209E1CCD7553.jpeg (3.38 MiB) Viewed 765 times

HunnysMom

Post by HunnysMom » 28 Nov 2022, 18:09

Actually there is a tiny bit of yellow but if you saw what her poop looked like before today!

Chance
Pet name: Chance
My name: Andrea

Post by Chance » 28 Nov 2022, 18:41

Yay for good poop!!

For my dog, it did take a good few weeks at the correct enzyme dose to get darker poop! Actually it took a few months to get the perfect dark brown poop; but that's another story (he started on Pantenex, which was good, but not perfect for him. And he's sensitive to Tylosin - but took me way too long to figure that out :roll: ). Still not stable, but doing OK considering!

It does sometimes take time to get everything going perfect. Sounds like you are well on your way! 😉

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 28 Nov 2022, 19:04

Looks like some pretty good poop.
Keep up the good work.

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

HunnysMom

Post by HunnysMom » 28 Nov 2022, 19:54

Thx everyone. Will keep you posted as we progress!

HunnysMom

Post by HunnysMom » 29 Nov 2022, 20:37

Hi Everyone -

Hunny had another great 2 poops today!!! Two days in a row!

However, I believe she has acid reflux. At first I thought she was puking but it's not normal puke.

All of a sudden she regurgitates and some clear liquid and tiny pieces of her food come out.

I have noted it happens in the evening or at night.

She had not done it in a few days and all of a sudden we are laying on the couch about an hour ago and up it comes all over me and the couch.

Here is what I started this week with her feeding:

She is getting 2.5 cups to keep her calories above 800 per day for weight gain.

I give her 1/2 cup in AM and then about an hour later 1/2
I give her 1/2 cup AFTERNOON and then about an hour later 1/2
I give her 1/2 up PM.

Each time she gets her enzymes of course too.

Should I just try Slippery Elm and see what happens?

Sorela
Pet name: The little Countesses
My name: Sorela

Post by Sorela » 30 Nov 2022, 03:11

Hi,
I have 3 dogs with chronic pancreatitis, all on Lypex enzymes... so one of them, had this wet burps/ acid reflux with some food(around 1 tablespoon of liquid and some food in it), mostly after 17 in the evening. I started with slippery elm, 2x/day, 1/4 tsp / each dog, I dont give SE with antibiotics at one meal.

My girls eats 5 meals/ day/ girl.

7 in the morning+ 7 PM: evening (MEALS) I give them Tylosin

10 AM+ 16 PM(MEALS) I give them SE (1/4 tsp/dog)

13 PM MEAL: is just with enzymes

Also in the same time with SE, I introduced in their diet, B12 vitamin , every day 1 caps for each girl. I can say that in a couple of days, the girl with acid reflux ,was fine.

Sorela
BECKY, SHEEVA+BLACKY 13 years each, ideal weight 15kg, 13 kg, 18 kg(each girl have lost around 1.3 kg), since june 2022 chronic pancreatitis ; since 5.10.2022 CPL over 1000, hyperlipidemia, malabsorption, SID. TLI not tested yet, waiting the CPL to be stable.1 poop/day/dog, with form, orange and soft

Present: 5 low fat small meals / day/dog ;all are taking: 1cps lypex/120 gr food/dog + 1/4 tsp slipp elm/dog: 2 x/day + B12 chemeyes+selenium+ zinc+ E: 1x/day/dog+ 1/4 tsp/dog beef tripe powder: 1x/day+1/8 tilozina(Tylan) 2x/day
Ideal Poops. Weight gain 450 gr/girl
Hills low fat+Homemade: rice+ chicken breast+quail egg+Cheese 0,5% fat +sweet potatoes+boiled carrot.
We fight to decrease CPL

Chance
Pet name: Chance
My name: Andrea

Post by Chance » 01 Dec 2022, 00:57

Acid reflux is the first symptom you would get with too much enzymes. I have had it happen as well when switching enzymes.

Reducing the enzymes, even slightly might be all that is actually needed.

If that doesn't work, then you can look into antacids.

HunnysMom

Post by HunnysMom » 04 Dec 2022, 15:54

Hi everyone.

So for the last 6 days hunny poop is normal. Formed and firm. No diarrhea at all.

However, she hasn’t gained more weight. She’s eating about 1000 cal per day though.

I weighed her on my scale and it looked like she gained A pound but nothing else.

Does it take time for epi dogs to gain weight?

Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 04 Dec 2022, 17:15

Whatever she should weigh, feed her 150% the amount she should eat at THAT weight, over 3-4 meals. So, of she weighs 35 but should weigh 45, feed her 150% of what a 45 pound dog would get.

Sometimes weight gain can be slow. Give this new plan a couple of weeks, since her poop is so good, and then see if she hasn't put on some weight.

With those great looking poops (Tucker sometimes has some yellow spots in his, too, and he regularly poops 4 times/day), I would say the food is agreeing with her.

Just make sure you are feeding her enough. How many pounds underweight is she?
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.