Newly diagnosed questions

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
aambs17
State: Texas
Pet name: Rizzo
My name: Allie

Newly diagnosed questions

Post by aambs17 » 15 Nov 2022, 20:49

Hello! My dog Rizzo was newly diagnosed today with EPI at 9 years old. My vet sent for Rx recommendations over for her to start using and it was the tablets by PancreVed. Does anyone know if I’m able to crush them? She eats wet dog food (Royal Canin hydrolyzed protien loaf) am I able to put the powder right on her food or should I let the food and enzyme soak in water?

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Re: Newly diagnosed questions

Post by jilbert57 » 15 Nov 2022, 22:18

Yes, you would crush the tablets, add to the food with a little room temperature water, mix it up and let incubate 15 to 20 mins. Stir before serving. I would say start with 2 crushed tablets plus 1 for the bowl, so crush 3 tabs and mix with the food and water.

"PANCREA-TABS PLUS by Butler Animal Health Supply NDC# 11695-1235-7
Tablet minimum: Lipase 9000, Protease 57000, Amylase 64000, Vitamin A 1000, VitaminD3 100, Vitamin E 10.
500 pills approximately $95. EPI dog usage: crush approximately (each dog dose may vary) 3 pills and sprinkle on each meal."

Was the B12 and folate tested when the Tli test was run?

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 15 Nov 2022, 23:27

the directions that Jill gave you are correct..... however.... you may need to give more crushed pills depending on how much food you are giving in a meal.

If one cup of food.... i would start with exactly what Jill suggested... if you are feeding more than 1 cup of food per meal... then you will need more crushed pills.

For example, the enzymes that you are using are "Tablet minimum: Lipase 9000"
The typical Lipase enzyme dose per 1 cup of food is minimum Lipase 33,000 and more often around 71,400 Lipase.

SO......... you can see, you have the right kind of enzymes (porcine), they a just very low in potency.
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

aambs17

Post by aambs17 » 16 Nov 2022, 02:57

Thank you for the reply! Yes these two things were run as well and the lab testing was sent to A&M university for evaluation. She is a chiweenie mix that eats about 2/3 a cup at each feeding, twice a day. Would that change the dosing at all? So far the vet has her on 2 tablets with each meal, as well as B12 supplements. I really appreciate the reply’s, truly!

aambs17

Post by aambs17 » 16 Nov 2022, 03:16

I misspoke in my reply, she eats 2/3rds of her canned food twice a day.

jilbert57
Staff

Post by jilbert57 » 16 Nov 2022, 09:31

Will you please post the results of the Tli, the B12 and the folate here so we can better help you?

Also the name of the B12 supplement?

How many cups of canned food is your cheeweenie eating each day? About 1 1/3 cups? If so you would need approximately 4 or 5 total split between the 2 meals and incubated.

From now on all food your pup eats needs to be treated with enzymes before eating. We recommend no treats until your pup is stable.

The Epi pups B12 level needs to be up at the high point of the range between 500- 600.

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 16 Nov 2022, 11:10

Hi Allie,

A warm welcome to you and Rizzo. You have excellent advice from Olesia and Jill about the enzymes and dosage. The beginning stage is always challenging as you try to get everything balanced, so don't be discouraged if things don't go smoothly. I recommend keeping a journal/log of everything you give Rizzo each day and the resulting poos. This will help you to see what is working and what needs to be adjusted. It also helps you to see any questions that you might have as treatment progresses.

Also, you may want to consider enzyme Diane's enzymes in the future. She has an excellent product at reasonable cost. Many members here use her enzymes. We used them for almost 11 years with our Kolby until we lost him to cancer two years ago. You can get information from her website or talk to her personally. She publishes her phone number on her site.

Barb

aambs17

Post by aambs17 » 17 Nov 2022, 15:08

God bless you all! I feed her a cup and a half a day over two feedings.

Her Cobalamin fasting was <150 ng/L

TLI fasting was 1.9

Folate fasting was 21.7 within normal range

jilbert57
Staff

Post by jilbert57 » 17 Nov 2022, 20:57

Thanks for posting the results Allie. The B12 level needs to be up near 600 so it is good you are supplementing. What supplement are you using and is it once or twice a day?

As for the enzymes I would crush 2.5 or 3 tabs for each meal.

Jill

aambs17

Post by aambs17 » 18 Nov 2022, 06:18

Hi Jill! The brand is called Cobalequin, and she takes one chew a day.