Bali’s story: We need healing vibes and support

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Pialovesyoga
State: California
Pet name: Bali
My name: Pia

Bali’s story: We need healing vibes and support

Post by Pialovesyoga » 13 Nov 2022, 14:23

Greetings everyone-

This is Pia. I’m an international school teacher, live and teach all around the world. I’m currently in San Diego, taking a sabbatical, but planning to go back to overseas soon. I’ve been diagnosed with a hearing disorder and with my doctor’s advice adopted a puppy to be trained as a service animal. Bali, a German Shepherd has grown to be a wonderful hearing dog, my best friend and companion. He has been a chubby puppy since I found him at 11 weeks old, wand was expected to be min. 100lbs when he reaches full adulthood. When around he was 7 months old with sudden change of kibbles (my rookie mistake) we experienced the 1st episode of chronic diarrhea that never really left us to this day. At that time he’s been tested for parasites and a few other things (never for EPI) and everything came back normal. We called it ‘typical German Shepherd digestive problems’ and decided to be more mindful around his food.

Following 7 months was full of ups and downs with on and off diarrhea, trial and error with food as we were focusing on food allergies. We found a good balance of food and probiotics and in late July at 15 months old Bali was on top of his health. Looking good, feeling good with steady healthy stools like a normal dog. I consulted the vet and we decided it was a good time to switch to adult food as finding his prescription puppy kibbles (Royal Canin GI) were getting harder while traveling during summer. This time I introduced the new kibbles veeeery slowly. He was doing fine up until 80% new kibbles + 20% old kibbles. Then one day I gave him 100% new kibbles for the first time and that immediately set off the 2nd episode of chronic diarrhea with weirdest looking stools: bright yellow mucus covered, blood speckled, dark brown-gray cow patties etc etc. At that time he weighed around 73lbs. With the vets help (Metro and Endosorb) and later homemade food (lean ground turkey and pumpkin puree) his stool would turn back to normal for a few days but relapse soon after. Another couple of months on and off diarrhea and I noticed he started to losing weight, his behavior started to change (more aggressive towards other dogs, which was never an issue before as he is a well socialized and well adapted service dog), scavenging and eating whatever he could find on the sidewalks.. This would put us another endless cycle of diarrhea, fasting for 24 hrs, then ground turkey, pumpkin, probiotics and slippery elm until he turns back to normal.

A few weeks ago in October we had another visit to vet’s office because all the methods I used in the past to stop his diarrhea weren’t helping anymore. He weighed 66lbs. Lost 7 lbs in 2,5 months. He still got enough energy to play, healthy coat and crazy appetite.

Because EPI was always a possibility, I had already acquired Biovet enzymes and was
giving him small dosages sporadically. We didn’t test Bali for EPI this time. Our vet suggested that with enzymes already in his system the test would may not give accurate results.

I began researching about EPI more seriously, read endless articles and posts on forums like here. Also Dr. Becker’s informative video on EPI (https://youtu.be/TWH3XfvMMCc ) assured me that Bali is most likely suffering with EPI. However never been tested for EPI, all Bali’s symptoms and medical history were clearly directing us towards EPI- so with our vet’s agreement I officially started treating Bali with enzymes (methodically with every meal), probiotics and Slippery elm only 4 days ago.

Texas B12 protocol starting in the next couple of days and possibly 30 day Tylan if SIBO turns to be unmanageable.

Even though the number on the scale hasn’t changed in the past few weeks, his body appears to be in the worst shape. His hipbones are sticking out like never before, and his ribs can be counted from a mile away.
I am determined to heal him and trying to keep it strong and positive, but when I looked at my puppy this morning I’ve felt we hit a pretty low point as of now and couldn’t help crying. The way he holds and moves his body is signifying poor health and weakness, and it breaks my heart to pieces. He is low on energy today as well and already experiencing reflux.

Any support, good vibes, encouragement, ideas are much appreciated. Thank you.

Pialovesyoga

Re: Bali’s story: We need healing vibes and support

Post by Pialovesyoga » 13 Nov 2022, 14:27

Here is my Bali boy when he is healthy. ❤️
Attachments
4113AE63-EA88-49FB-8CE9-6C4288E1BDA8.jpeg
4113AE63-EA88-49FB-8CE9-6C4288E1BDA8.jpeg (2 MiB) Viewed 1311 times

Pialovesyoga

Post by Pialovesyoga » 13 Nov 2022, 14:51

In an effort to keep Bali’s records in one thread early on our journey:

He hasn’t been tested for B12, and hasn’t received any B12 yet. I’ll be starting next week as early as I receive the shipment for Tylan and B12 vial.

For 66lbs he is getting min. 2 lbs a day low fat premium raw food (ground beef, bones, organ meat and veggies) this is suggested 3% of his body weight.

Pre+probiotics combined NaturVet tablets - 1.5 tablets with each meal. I have been using this for the past 7 months steadily,

Chance
Pet name: Chance
My name: Andrea

Post by Chance » 13 Nov 2022, 15:34

Pialovesyoga wrote: 13 Nov 2022, 14:51
For 66lbs he is getting min. 2 lbs a day low fat premium raw food (ground beef, bones, organ meat and veggies) this is suggested 3% of his body weight.

Pre+probiotics combined NaturVet tablets - 1.5 tablets with each meal. I have been using this for the past 7 months steadily,
If he's a young, active dog that is underweight, the 3% is designed to "maintain" weight. To gain weight, you need closer to 4%. Or if you fed the same food when weight was stable, about 150% of what you were feeding.

NaturVet Probiotic? Not their enzymes though? If Bali does have EPI, those enzymes won't get you very far. They are plant based; which is not intended for use in EPI. They are not strong enough. you might get temporary benefits, or possibly some benefit if it is IBD.

B12 injections will be a very good next step! Glad you have that coming!

Pialovesyoga

Post by Pialovesyoga » 13 Nov 2022, 16:08

Thank you. I use NaturVet pre and probiotics,
and Thomas Lab enzymes 1 teaspoon for 1/2 lbs raw food. (Tried 3/4 teaspoon for 1/2 lbs raw food that seemed not enough)

Chance

Post by Chance » 13 Nov 2022, 17:52

Pialovesyoga wrote: 13 Nov 2022, 16:08 Thank you. I use NaturVet pre and probiotics,
and Thomas Lab enzymes 1 teaspoon for 1/2 lbs raw food. (Tried 3/4 teaspoon for 1/2 lbs raw food that seemed not enough)

Ok. That's good. That will work for now. But since they are out of business, you'll need something different later. They are the same strength as Pantenex. For most, 1 tsp is a bit much. (Many use half tsp very successfully). But I did need 3/4 tsp for half pound of raw. Pantenex and Enzyme Diane are the most popular options. I have used both. (I did like Diane).

I did use a tsp of Pantenex per meal briefly, when SIBO was really bad. Once we got that treated, the dog let me know it was now too much! He ended up with bad acid reflux, which gave occasional softer (but formed) stools. Then we dropped back to 3/4 tsp.

Pialovesyoga

Post by Pialovesyoga » 13 Nov 2022, 18:48

Thank you- You are right it seems NaturVet pre+probiotics combined product is no longer available. For this time I got prebiotics (different brand) and probiotics (NaturVet) separately. I’m going to research more about natural prebiotics like mushrooms, chicory or burdock root... and of course the amount needed for these.

Enzyme Dianne is next as soon as we finish this jar of Thomas Lab enzymes we already got.

Chance

Post by Chance » 13 Nov 2022, 20:01

Pialovesyoga wrote: 13 Nov 2022, 18:48 Thank you- You are right it seems NaturVet pre+probiotics combined product is no longer available. For this time I got prebiotics (different brand) and probiotics (NaturVet) separately. I’m going to research more about natural prebiotics like mushrooms, chicory or burdock root... and of course the amount needed for these.

Enzyme Dianne is next as soon as we finish this jar of Thomas Lab enzymes we already got.
I am still researching the difference between all the prebiotic options. Let me know if you find anything useful! I'm not sure of all the differences between the GOS and FOS.

I did buy chicory root inulin, but that doesn't seem to agree with my dog. I also have a burdock root one; but I haven't opened that one yet. I already have "Real Mushrooms" 5 Mushroom blend, which I got a while ago...before EPI.

Also giving oil of oregano caplets, as several humans and dogs have apparently has SIBO "cured" with that.

Pialovesyoga

Post by Pialovesyoga » 15 Nov 2022, 12:01

A couple of questions:
I noticed him licking, chewing his paws and front legs, also he is very itchy around the face, especially under his chin.
Sometimes when he is laying his face resting on the floor he does this movement- he is rubbing his chin on the floor as if he wants to scratch it, but looks like he is having a seizure or something. I know that it is not a seizure because when I call his name he stops and looks at me. So it seems it is a voluntary movement. Anybody else has seen this before. I’ve read it somewhere on here that him chewing and licking his paws might suggest an allergic reaction to the enzymes? If it is the case what should I do?

The second question is related to really dark, almost black slimy stool he had this morning. I fed him cooked organ meat and beef and while waiting for our B12 vial decided to give him one of my Blood builder supplement (it has lot’s of b12 and iron in it and the color of the pill is literally black) this may explain the color of his stool today, but still the texture was not great..

Chance

Post by Chance » 15 Nov 2022, 16:56

I sm not an expert, but in my experience (personal and with my dogs), it's a GI bleed. Possibly an ulcer. At least acid reflux, causing nausea.

Too much enzymes can and will cause that. So double check you are not giving too much. Giving too much can be at least as serious as not enough. (I have had that with my dog twice due to too much enzymes. He's also had it a few times prior to EPI dx).

Try an acid reducer, such as Pepcid. Decrease enzymes slightly. If it's not any better better within a day or two, or if it gets worse, get to the vet ASAP. A GI bleed (black, tarry stools. Next it would progress to vomiting "black coffee beans") can become serious if not treated.