Tylosin dose

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Re: Tylosin dose

Post by jilbert57 » 04 Dec 2022, 09:58

Have you or your vet looked into the Tagamet/Benadryl protocol for the mast cell tumor?

https://dogcanceranswers.com/tagamet-an ... deep-dive/

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 04 Dec 2022, 11:05

Coconut oil, along with having antibiotic & antimicrobial properties, is also an antifungal. Dogs love it, too. If you got it to a liquid form, and he lapped up a teaspoon a few times a day, maybe enough residue would stay behind to be effective.

I also wonder if you could paint his gums with the stuff used on newborns who have thrush?
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 04 Dec 2022, 11:51

Try ice cubes in his mouth, they will often chew on them

the one thing with sore mouths is a flat glass pie plate of some sort or a glass dinner plate for food

i am wondering if he might have an intolerance to porcine

the chart for Tylan is here

https://epi4dogs.com/antibiotics/

as far as food is concerned the recommendation is 50% over and above what the food bag instructions say for the weight the dog SHOULD be over several meals a day, if you can fit it in, all enzymed the Tylan should be twice daily withat least 8 hours between doses longer if you can

any biotics should be given as far away from the Tylan dose as possible, so in between ish

I do commiserate, Kara was just like this at the start
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

Chance
Pet name: Chance
My name: Andrea

Post by Chance » 04 Dec 2022, 12:37

jilbert57 wrote: 04 Dec 2022, 09:58 Have you or your vet looked into the Tagamet/Benadryl protocol for the mast cell tumor?

https://dogcanceranswers.com/tagamet-an ... deep-dive/

Jill
He is on Benadryl for his tumor. Tagamet no longer exists here. But as it was a prescription item before pulling it, chances are it would be stopped in Customs if I did try ordering from US.

He was on Pepcid (also H2 blocker) until the most recent acid reflux issue, then temporarily switched to a PPI.

jilbert57
Staff

Post by jilbert57 » 04 Dec 2022, 12:53

Interesting. We can buy it on Amazon. I used the protocol way back in 1996 OTC.

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Chance

Post by Chance » 04 Dec 2022, 13:03

jilbert57 wrote: 04 Dec 2022, 12:53 Interesting. We can buy it on Amazon. I used the protocol way back in 1996 OTC.

Jill
Canada is backwards when it comes to enzymes and antacids! You can buy enzymes in your corner store, or off Amazon.

We do have Nexium over the counter; but it's kept behind the counter. So not something I could order online; but something I can try if for whatever reason isn't able to get back on Pepcid. All other antacids are prescription only. (I do prefer Pepcid, as it's an H2 histamine blocker, and that is what is secreted by the tumor).

Chance

Post by Chance » 03 Jan 2023, 13:07

Hi again!

Ok, things have been high and low here. Changing vets, yet again. My original vet, which I was leaving anyway has closed down.

My concern was/is that Chance stopped eating. He's a Lab. Food is extremely important to a Lab! It's very strange for him. Vet I did go to says it's likely a tooth root abscess. Nothing we can do, he can't have an anesthetic. Pump him full of pain meds.

I went to another vet. They did x rays and looked at his teeth. No signs of abscess and no signs of pain in his mouth. Problem is not teeth. (They fed him while there, which they didn't tell me, so had interesting looking poops the next day! I even had his pills with me in case they wanted to feed him 🙄)

Ok, so next step was to run full blood work again, including a GI panel. (I agreed to that only because I wanted to ensure my B12 frequency was ok). I don't have numbers as we spoke on the phone

TLI Very low (big surprise there)
Folate quite LOW
Cobalamin upper range normal

Folate is my biggest question. He's on Baytril (now low dose) to keep SIBO at bay. Poop is mostly good. Vet (no experience with EPI) wants me to start a Folate supplement. (He's very sensitive to Tylosin, so I can't give that again)

B12 was read exactly 10 days post injection. I have been injecting every other week. I am told to keep the bi weekly injections the same.? Or maybe I can go to 3 week cycle?

Cortisol levels low. Having had a dog with Addison's disease for 16 years, this to me is a concern. Vet is less concerned. Addison's wouldn't pop up all of a sudden now. (I agree with that completely. But what if there's something else somewhere that's causing the adrenals not to work as expected)? It would take a few weeks to get results of ACTH)

Anyway, biggest question is Folate levels. My understanding was high Folate was typically associated with EPI because of SIBO. ?? Do I start Folate supplement as he suggests?

jilbert57
Staff

Post by jilbert57 » 04 Jan 2023, 10:11

I would look possibly at the Baytril for loss of appetite. Even if Chance has been on it awhile loss of appetite is a symptom of side effects.
Low folate:
https://vcahospitals.com/know-your-pet/ ... production.

Jill

Chance

Post by Chance » 04 Jan 2023, 15:21

Antibiotics was my first thought. We took him off antibiotics for a few days (back when it first started). It didn't help. It only got worse. Tried a different antibiotic after those few days off (doxy). But that seemed to cause vomiting and diarrhea.