SID Flare Up Continues

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Montgomery
Pet name: Montgomery (I'm a CAT!)
My name: V

SID Flare Up Continues

Post by Montgomery » 27 Sep 2022, 20:19

He's getting better, but he still has some loose stool and a sore backside. He had a bath this morning because his feet and tail were a mess and it was kinder to put him in the sink than to use baby wipes on him. He hid his face in my sweater and called me names, but he let me do it. How long do these flare ups usually last?
Montgomery was born 20 March 2012. He eats extra lean ground chicken, lean ground pork and lean ground beef completed with Alnutrin and freeze-dried chicken liver, with hard-cooked egg. He gets two size zero capsules of Enzyme Diane's enzymes at each of his six meals, and a size four capsule of Tylan three times a day. He's a fierce little Spitfire with a roaring Merlin engine.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Re: SID Flare Up Continues

Post by Olesia711 » 27 Sep 2022, 20:22

with the dogs (and i am guessing with the cats too) a SID flareup subsides in a week or so IF/WHEN the pet is given a course of Tylan..

Isn't Montgomery on a short maintenance course of Tylan? If so.. up it to a full dose for a short course ,... maybe 7 to 10 days.......see if your vet agrees with this....
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Montgomery

Post by Montgomery » 27 Sep 2022, 20:29

We've put him up to a full dose of Tylan, but we're not quite at seven days yet with that. He is definitely a lot better. This was his first bath in days. I'll just be a bit more patient, I guess! Thank you!
Montgomery was born 20 March 2012. He eats extra lean ground chicken, lean ground pork and lean ground beef completed with Alnutrin and freeze-dried chicken liver, with hard-cooked egg. He gets two size zero capsules of Enzyme Diane's enzymes at each of his six meals, and a size four capsule of Tylan three times a day. He's a fierce little Spitfire with a roaring Merlin engine.

Montgomery

Post by Montgomery » 01 Oct 2022, 13:37

Patience has paid off. He's right back to normal. His fur is clean and soft again, and he smells like catnip. His stools have firmed up. His mouth has healed. He's back to shooting marbles and tearing up cardboard and paper. It's my day off, so he's spent a good chunk of it on my shoulders, and he supervised the cooking of his cat food. Thanks for the advice!

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 01 Oct 2022, 15:27

Hi V... you are very welcome and SOOOooo glad to hear that Montgomery has improved..... TG for Tylan , eh?!!!
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Montgomery

Post by Montgomery » 01 Oct 2022, 17:38

Yeah. Bittersweet, though. I was so hoping he wouldn't have to be on medication his entire life. I'm just glad he's back to rights. Poor cat. His tail drooped, his ears drooped, he smelled sour, he didn't want to clean himself because his mouth hurt, he didn't want to eat because he felt awful. Lesson learned the hard way.

Chance
Pet name: Chance
My name: Andrea

Post by Chance » 10 Oct 2022, 01:51

Poor boy! Wasn't he on a very long course of Tylosin that was slowly stopped fairly recently? Maybe he's going to need it for life?

I hope he's still doing better!

And you do know that B A T H is a 4 letter word 😁😁 especially for cats!!

Montgomery

Post by Montgomery » 10 Oct 2022, 20:52

Yeah, everyone says that about cats and baths. He stuffed his head under my arm and cried, but it was more because his bum was sore than the fact that he was in the sink. He's used to it. When he was a baby, I used to just hold him under the tap.
He's right as rain now.