Help!! Not seeing improvement

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Re: Help!! Not seeing improvement

Post by Olesia711 » 31 Jul 2022, 16:05

yea, i'd push for the Tylan.... and if not needed at least to have it on hand.... these EPI dogs tend to have set-backs with SID off and on through out the yeaars... some have it often, while others just once in a blue moon...

Typically for "out of control" SID.. we 1st suggest trying a prebiotic.
If that doesn't work, then we suggest trying a pre+probiotic combo (synergy effect)
And if THAT doesn't work then we suggest biting the bullet and doing antibiotics... in which case we strongly suggest Tylan.

HOWEVER... when you have a dog that is spewing liquid diarrhea constantly... you can only go a very short time until they start losing electrolytes etc.... so that is why i am suggesting Tylan sooner rather than later.

Keep us posted on the protein trials... something is setting your dog off... and since you get a variety of great, healthy food already, might as well see if you can figure it out :)
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Shiloh18
State: New Jersey
Pet name: Shiloh
My name: Erin

Re: Help!! Not seeing improvement

Post by Shiloh18 » 03 Aug 2022, 09:30

Good morning everyone,

I wanted to give an update and ask a few questions. We began trialing just the Ollie lamb food on Monday and since then her poops have gotten better and better each day. This morning she may have had the best poop I've ever seen from her! However, her overall demeanor is still poor and she is still very lethargic. I was also able to get Shiloh's vet to prescribe Tylan and she began taking it last night. He also instructed us to give her one pepcid daily for acid reflux symptoms (burping, gurling, drying coughing). I am still waiting on the WonderLabs B12 and Slippery Elm to arrive.

She is now currently taking the following meds:
In the morning- 1 proviable forte sprinkle capsule, 1 cobalequin (b12 supplement), and 1/4 tsp Tylan powder*
In the evening- 1 20mg pecid, 1 5mg prednisolone, 1/4 tsp Tylan powder*
*(after 5 days we were instructed to decrease the Tylan to 1/4 tsp 1x per day)

I am wondering...
1. When the slippery elm comes in should I give it to her since she is now on Tylan? Or should I hold off and just hang onto it?
2. Open to any other suggestions you may have! :)