EPI & Siezures

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Max'sMom
State: Colorado
Pet name: Max

EPI & Siezures

Post by Max'sMom » 12 May 2022, 08:09

Hi friends,

This forum was so helpful when our German Shepard, Max, was initially diagnosed with EPI. Here I am again asking for your guidance. Max is 3 and has just begun having siezures. Due to the frequency, it is likely he will go on some sort of anti-siezure medication. Right now we have Max on enzymes, B12, probiotics and fish oil. I can't imagine these would conflict with any medication he would go on, but I'm wondering what experience others here may have had. Thank you in advance for any input.

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Re: EPI & Siezures

Post by jilbert57 » 12 May 2022, 08:41

I am glad Max has been managed but so sorry about the seizures. I do know they have had good luck treating seizures with CBD oil.
What if any medication do you use monthly for fleas and ticks?
I hope someone with experience chimes in soon.

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 12 May 2022, 11:07

I am so sorry to hear that Max is struggling with seizures.

Over the years, yes there have been others that have dealt with this.......but i also uploaded an interesting article regarding idiopathic seizures (when they don't know why it happens) and found that in some cases a more "ketogenic-like" diet actually helped with the seizures...

especially with EPI dogs, a less carb diet with medium chain triglycerides (like coconut oil ) certainly wouldn't hurt to try....

there is also another article regarding a non-invasive neurostimulation for dogs dealing with epilepsy (if this is what the seizures are related to)

here is the section on it: https://epi4dogs.com/seizures/

hope you find some of this information useful in Max's situation!
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Max'sMom

Post by Max'sMom » 13 May 2022, 08:53

Hi Jill - Thank you for replying! I was wondering about treating with CBD too. I need to do some research on that and also consult with our vet. We live in the Colorado foothills and don't really struggle with ticks or fleas so Max isn't taking anything for that.

Max'sMom

Post by Max'sMom » 13 May 2022, 08:55

Hi Olesia - Thank you for the link. I will take a look soon! We feed our dogs Fromm food which is supposed to be really good, but I'll double check the carbs. I really appreciate your help!

krimdad
State: Illinois
Pet name: Joe

Post by krimdad » 01 Dec 2022, 09:08

I’m sorry that your dog deals with seizures. I hope the medication you use will help improve his health. There are many studies that suggest CBD as a being effective at managing seizures, because it stimulate the nervous system, as well as the immune and digestive systems. I would recommend asking a vet about the dosage of CBD you administrate to your dog, but from what I know, CBD doesn’t alter the effects of other prescribed medication you give to your dog. You can read about a few types of CBD oil here: https://www.orlandomagazine.com/best-cbd-oil-for-dogs. I truly hope your furry friend feels better soon!

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 01 Dec 2022, 10:36

Thanks Joe for the link to the CBD oil.... good article to be discussed with the vet and hopefully it may be of benefit for Max !
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Obie426
Pet name: Chase
My name: Diana

Post by Obie426 » 01 Dec 2022, 15:46

I feel for you having a dog with EPI and seizures. My Chase started having seizures when he was 6. He is 8 now. He was diagnosed with EPI this past February. After tests and consultations with a neurologist he was diagnosed with idiopathic epilepsy. Because the seizures were so far apart he was not put on medication. Unfortunately his seizures are becoming more frequent. I do have a friend whose dog was having seizures and in combination with medication and CBD oil he has been seizure free for over two years. Who knows what is keeping the seizures at bay but it seems to be working. There is great controversy over flea and tick medication causing seizures and that is listed as a possible side effect. I specifically asked the neurologist about this and he said it is one of the most common questions he is asked. He said that although it is possible it is highly unlikely. Chase’s seizures have never coincided with giving him the tick medication. We live on a rural property in a very high tick population area so medication is a necessity. Witnessing your fur baby having one of these seizures is very traumatic and distressing. I hope you find a treatment that provides Max some relief.

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 02 Dec 2022, 10:54

thanks Diana for sharing your Chase's experience with idiopathic seizures.... it sure is scary to watch!!! Good to know that the CBD appears to have helped your dog's seizures....

Montgomery
Pet name: Montgomery (I'm a CAT!)
My name: V

Post by Montgomery » 02 Dec 2022, 19:37

I have a non-EPI cat with seizures. Flapjack began having them at ten weeks old. He's seven now. All I can say is, that once you get the medication dose worked out, he can live a perfectly happy, normal life. I know it's scary and stressful. Falpie still has the odd one, even medicated, but once you know what to do, you'll both be just fine.
Montgomery was born 20 March 2012. He eats extra lean ground chicken, lean ground pork and lean ground beef completed with Alnutrin and freeze-dried chicken liver, with hard-cooked egg. He gets two size zero capsules of Enzyme Diane's enzymes at each of his six meals, and a size four capsule of Tylan three times a day. He's a fierce little Spitfire with a roaring Merlin engine.