rash

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
denise107
State: California
Pet name: Holly
My name: Denise

rash

Post by denise107 » 26 Oct 2020, 21:39

My German shepherd Holly (3) constantly getting red ears and a red stomach. We have taken her to the vet many times, and they give us antibiotics. After she finishes the prescription, it comes back. Is it the enzyme's powder? Has any other dogs had this problem. Can I add something else to her food, or does it have nothing to do with enzymes? My vet doesn't seem to know what is causing it>
Denise

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Re: rash

Post by jilbert57 » 26 Oct 2020, 21:44

Hi Denise, is it a yeast issue?
What food are you feeding?

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

ClintJaylo312
State: Florida
Pet name: freya

Post by ClintJaylo312 » 27 Oct 2020, 09:44

Be more cautious about her raw food consumption because she might have allergies. Try using tinctures to get rid of the rash.

ClintJaylo312
Pet name: freya

Post by ClintJaylo312 » 27 Oct 2020, 09:44

Be more cautious about her raw food consumption because she might have allergies. Try using tinctures to get rid of the rash.

Tuckaboo Pam
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

infection & come back when antibiotic course is over?Re: rash

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 27 Oct 2020, 12:47

Jill, that would be my guess, too, but wouldn't antibiotics make a yeast infection worse? Denise, have you tried putting hydrocortisone cream or ointment on the red areas? Does it seem like she itches? Could it be allergies that develop into infection and come back when antibiotic course is over? Maybe give benadryl & see what happens, if vet says it's OK.---Pam
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 30 Oct 2020, 18:12

Geesh... it must be something in the air!!!! We just got back from the vet (non-EPI dog) with a very red belly, red and swollen private parts, now mucus in the eyes... and vet said ALL allergy related... and tis is after we did 3 different courses of antibioitc because she had surgery on two feet from cysts that developed from "allergies" ... it has been a mess.

ANd this is a dog that was on Apoquel, and is now on the new "miracle" drug for allergies... Cytopoint.
Well... the vet said today "OMG.... even the Cytopoint is not strong enough to handle her severe allergies ..... so... what they are doing now is putting her on Prednisone in addition to the Cytopoint.

Another one of our members also has a dog with allergies and same thing... VERY red belly.... so i am wondering if all of this is due to fall time / environmental allergies (my dog has severe storage mite allergies and dust mite allergies... and Madelon's dog has mostly food allergies.... but maybe once comprised immune system with allergies, other allergies have been known to pop up. ... so maybe there is something fall time that is triggering such a severe reaction.. like mold????

Not sure..... so my thought is that what your dog is experiencing is most likely an allergic response but i doubt it is from the enzymes... has your dog been tested for allergies and does it definitely have a pork allergy?
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Tuckaboo Pam
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 31 Oct 2020, 07:39

According to my physician, allergies are related to the immune system, so maybe try and boost immune response by supplementing with probiotics? Can dogs take vitamin C? Zinc? I know I've come running in from left field, here, but I hate to think about all this suffering, and I'd really like to know. I am having to give Tucker some benadryl from time to time, as he is itching, too, and I don't want it to develop into something really yucky. Who knows what is blooming, with all the crazy weather everyone is having? Oh, Happy Halloween, everybody! Don't forget, doggies may react negatively to seeing you in a costume, and they may hate wearing one themselves. I hope we can all figure out a way to have a fun, safe day. Love, Pam & Tucker
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 01 Nov 2020, 19:27

Pam..... yes, your vet is spot on...... these allergy conditions hail from the immune system :(
THere appears to be many "immune boosting" products out there.... but do they really work... or work enough to make a difference? I too am trying to find something *sigh*..............
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 01 Nov 2020, 20:04

Hi Denise! I'm so sorry your baby is suffering and I'm sure you are too. I think Olesia is referring to me as the other member dealing with SEVERE allergies. I had my boy tested for food sensitivities with the NutriScan Food Sensitivity Test and then I followed up with a blood test for food and environmental allergies - my boy is allergic to EVERYTHING!! If you suspect sensitivities/allergies - I highly recommend getting the tests done so you know what to avoid and how to manage.

For ears, I highly recommend the Zymox Otic drops - non-prescription and if the ear infection isn't too bad will help clear it up and then can be used periodically as a preventative - however - because ears are so sensitive and a bad infection can cause hearing loss I would talk to your vet first. For the red belly, while you are trying to figure things out I recommend Duoxo Chlorhexadine shampoo and a Chlorhexadine 4% spray - at least that's what our dermatologist recommended.

I recently had my boy on a a prescription hydrolyzed food thinking all of the ingredients were hydrolyzed - he's had the absolute worst skin infection ever - I called the food company and apparently only the protein is hydrolyzed and the other ingredients are ones that he's sensitive to - that plus fall is the worst allergy season and we are now on a course of antibiotics to kill the yeast infection that is raging throughout his body and he got a cytopoint injection on Friday - that plus a food change and we are finally seeing some healing.

Allergies are the worst! Hang in there and we'll help as much as we can.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.