new diagnosis

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
denise107
State: California
Pet name: Holly
My name: Denise

new diagnosis

Post by denise107 » 15 Mar 2020, 23:44

My 2-year-old German shepherd (Holly)diagnosed on Thursday 03/12/2020. We started giving her pancreaPowder plus . How long before we see results? Her pooping is less but still the same consistency, and she is again eating it. Also, is the medicine less potent if the canned food we mix with the dry is coming from the refrigerator?
Denise

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Re: new diagnosis

Post by jilbert57 » 16 Mar 2020, 00:06

Hi Denise and welcome to you and Holly. Would you mind posting the results of the Tli test plus folate and Cobalomin if tested?
4 cornerstones of Epi need to come together for the pup to thrive.
1)Enzymes. These are dosed at 1 level teaspoon enzyme per 1 cup dry kibble, or 3/4 teaspoon enzyme per cup canned food. The food needs to be room temperature. Too hot will kill the enzymes. Too cold will not activate the enzymes. Mix the food, enzyme and small amount of room temp. water together. Let set 15 to 20 mins then stir and serve.

Remember all food given needs to be treated with enzymes. They are for life. Once implemented you should begin to see improvement within a week, sometimes quicker.

2)Diet Food needs to be grain free and 4 % or less fiber

3) Antibiotic. Most dogs when diagnosed have SID(Small Intestinal Dysbiosis) in the small intestine. A 45 day course of Tylan is used twice a day to get rid of bad bacteria. Metronidazole is also used.

4) B12. Usually at diagnosis the B12 is low. A Epi dog needs a level of 600 or greater. This can be achieved with B12 shots or oral supplementation.

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

denise107
State: California
Pet name: Holly
My name: Denise

Post by denise107 » 16 Mar 2020, 00:24

Hi
I did not get the paperwork for the results. The vet just called and told us she had epi and come in for the prescription. I will call tomorrow and ask them to send me results. On our bottle of medicine, it says to add one teaspoon to food. should we be adding more? What food do you feed your dog? I need to check if ours is grain-free. We supply her Canidae. Is it ok to put refrigerated canned food on top of kibble? I know they told me her b12 was fine.
Denise

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 16 Mar 2020, 09:37

Thank you for the answers. You need to dose the enzymes according to how much food you are feeding as per previous post. Also when you are done with the Pancreplus, a lot of people get their enzymes from enzymediane.com.
Diane had an Epi dog, Sarge. Her enzymes are great and a lot less money.
How much canned food are you talking about? I suppose if it is a Tablespoon it could be cold, but you need to add a tad more enzyme for it in the incubation. Just do not add enzymes to cold food, they won't activate.

https://epi4dogs.com/epi-quick-guide-usa/

https://epi4dogs.com/dog-food-options/

https://epi4dogs.com/sidsibo-in-brief/

https://epi4dogs.com/enzyme-list/

Also please get the actual result of B12. Being just fine isn't good enough. B12 needs to be 600 or greater, so high end. Thanks.

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.