Results of May 2024 enzyme survey

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Chance
Pet name: Chance
My name: Andrea

Re: Results of May 2024 enzyme survey

Post by Chance » 24 May 2024, 22:36

Olesia, you have me confused...what does Royal Canin vet diet have to do with enzyme calculations?? I don't feed Royal Canin. Don't even feed kibble. I might be missing something. I might be...Chewy doesn't sell food or enzymes of any kind in Canada.

That is a generous offer Pam. If I was in US, I would have jumped on it. I'm sure you'll have a few takers here though :)
Chance was my 4 legged soul mate. My mobility assist service dog. Pure yellow Lab, 75 lbs. After struggling with weight all his life, finally dx with EPI. cTLI < 1, folate and B12 very low. Fed Raw. Maintained with Creon, Garden of Life probiotic and intermittent calcium bentonite clay. (Tylosin was a big nightmare for him)!

Rylee is Chance's successor; also pure Yellow/Fox red Lab. Started with symptoms at 8 weeks. At 6 months of age, also prescribed Creon due to suspected EPI (due to passing large amounts of undigested food). Currently suspected of blockages in pancreatic ducts. She is maintained VERY nicely on Creon and probiotics. Also raw fed.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 25 May 2024, 11:31

Andrea,

My bad... this is what happens when i multi-task *sigh* :roll: i accidentally clicked on the wrong link that i had open on my lap top.....
i meant to upload this link for the enzyme calculations:
https://epi4dogs.com/cost-savings-enzyme-tip/
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Chance

Post by Chance » 27 May 2024, 01:05

Thanks for the link. I've gone over it, and crunched numbers trying to compare dose of 8x vs Creon.

I did get the capsules this afternoon. I had thought of trying tonight, but holding off until tomorrow afternoon. We went to the lake today, her first time seeing water. She ended up inadvertently drinking about half of Lake Ontario :lol: I am going to see if that has any impact on poops tomorrow. So far she's fine, but if there was to be a problem tomorrow, I would not know of itwas the enzymes or the swimming. I'm only going to try for one meal tomorrow (assuming she's still got no issues), and can report back on Tuesday.
Chance was my 4 legged soul mate. My mobility assist service dog. Pure yellow Lab, 75 lbs. After struggling with weight all his life, finally dx with EPI. cTLI < 1, folate and B12 very low. Fed Raw. Maintained with Creon, Garden of Life probiotic and intermittent calcium bentonite clay. (Tylosin was a big nightmare for him)!

Rylee is Chance's successor; also pure Yellow/Fox red Lab. Started with symptoms at 8 weeks. At 6 months of age, also prescribed Creon due to suspected EPI (due to passing large amounts of undigested food). Currently suspected of blockages in pancreatic ducts. She is maintained VERY nicely on Creon and probiotics. Also raw fed.

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 27 May 2024, 10:56

Very smart to wait to see if drinking the lake water has any adverse effects.... one of my non-EPI dogs did the same and had it coming out of both ends for a day... not pleasant..........................
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Chance

Post by Chance » 27 May 2024, 15:16

No issues so far, other than having to pee out Lake Ontario :lol: she's had 2 "normal for her" poops so far today.

I did my best at measuring and filling 2 enteric coated capsules with 8x. I think it's going to pretty close to equal her Creon dose. Did that for lunch. Going to give Creon again tonight and until I see how this works.

We'll see tomorrow.

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 27 May 2024, 15:32

great that there are no adverse effect from drinking the lake dry :).... do keep us posted on the enteric coated capsules filled with enzyme powder ....

Chance

Post by Chance » 28 May 2024, 22:55

More than 24 hours after trying the enzyme Diane 8x in delayed release capsules, and all is the same. No difference at all in poops. Still very well formed. Light brown, and a few small bits of meat. But as with Creon, very little food lost. So you wouldn't know anything was different.

I did it again at lunch time today. I think she'd do fine with it. So since I have some powdered left, I'll be able to use it interchangeably; I think!

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 29 May 2024, 12:34

awesome !!!!! thanks for sharing the results with us and glad it appears to work :)