Hard, white lumps in stool

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
SophieBean
State: South Carolina
Pet name: Sophie
My name: Julia

Hard, white lumps in stool

Post by SophieBean » 05 Jun 2023, 18:25

Apologies for the graphic subject line... anyhoo, my epi doggo, Sophie has had some inconsistent stools since Thursday. It hasn't happened every time, but at least once a day I've noticed that her poop has had these semi-hard white/tan chunks (almost like cooked water chestnuts). It's definitely not bone since you can kind of squeeze it apart but I can't pinpoint what else it could be. They're also typically smaller in size than others. Lastly, I've noticed that other stools have been either dark and semi-hard or tan and a little looser. Her poops are typically not 100 percent consistent, but it seems like these are more wanky than usual.

A bit more information, we recently just moved so she's been experiencing some pretty heavy life changes. Other than that, I've been keeping everything else as normal as possible. Has anyone ever experienced this? Is this just an effect of stress or should I be more concerned?

Thanks as always!

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Re: Hard, white lumps in stool

Post by Olesia711 » 05 Jun 2023, 20:28

hi Julia,

It sounds like some particular ingredient is not being fully digested. If nothing in the diet has changed....however, if it is a stressful time.. it might be that a certain food ingredient has not be optimally agreeable with her... but not noticeable until now that she is under stress.

OR..... this could be SID (small intestinal dysbiosis) starting to get out of control.

IN either case, keep an eye on the poo and SOphie to see if this gets worse...then you'll have to try and figure out it is and probably change the food and if it get really sloppy.... treat with antibiotics.

But other than possibly EPI-related... .... take a picture of it, send it to your vet to see if this could possible be worms of some sort..........
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 07 Jun 2023, 06:49

good afternoon ffrom the UK

can you get it analysed by the vets

that is weird
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

Montgomery
Pet name: Montgomery (I'm a CAT!)
My name: V

Post by Montgomery » 10 Jun 2023, 17:19

Did you ever figure out what it was?
Montgomery was born 20 March 2012. He eats extra lean ground chicken, lean ground pork and lean ground beef completed with Alnutrin and freeze-dried chicken liver, with hard-cooked egg. He gets two size zero capsules of Enzyme Diane's enzymes at each of his six meals, and a size four capsule of Tylan three times a day. He's a fierce little Spitfire with a roaring Merlin engine.

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 11 Jun 2023, 05:22

good idea V
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

bur
Pet name: Lara (cat)

Post by bur » 24 Jul 2023, 02:23

You mentioned it cannot be bone, does that mean you feed raw? If that's the case it can be bone, but in a different way than you might think. When raw feeding the consistency and color of the stool can also be an indicator that you need to adapt the diet. When the percentage bone is too high the stool gets very firm, light / white and kind of chalky.