EPI dog coughing

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
mkazin
State: California
Pet name: Scottie
My name: Maia

EPI dog coughing

Post by mkazin » 14 Mar 2023, 19:07

Hi all--

Since last night (for about 16 hours now) my EPI dog Scottie has been coughing on and off. Video here: https://youtube.com/shorts/LGKEPz0u5-k?feature=share

It seemed to be acid reflux, so I gave her an acid reducer, but that only seemed to help temporarily. It's off and on, but hasn't stopped. Any ideas? Should I take her to the vet?

She's 4 years old, GSD mix, EPI well controlled for 3 years now! THanks!

Montgomery
Pet name: Montgomery (I'm a CAT!)
My name: V

Re: EPI dog coughing

Post by Montgomery » 14 Mar 2023, 21:16

Mary does this. Montgomery gags, coughs, and reverse sneezes. Both cats have IBD. Montgomery has EPI, IBD and SID. No one can give me a good answer as to why they do this. Mary is on Pepcid, which stops the vomiting but does not stop the gagging. With Montgomery, it gets to a point where I have to syringe-feed him water until he stops, or he will get to a point where he is frothing at the mouth and having trouble breathing. If there is an answer for this, I will be interested to hear it, too.
Montgomery was born 20 March 2012. He eats extra lean ground chicken, lean ground pork and lean ground beef completed with Alnutrin and freeze-dried chicken liver, with hard-cooked egg. He gets two size zero capsules of Enzyme Diane's enzymes at each of his six meals, and a size four capsule of Tylan three times a day. He's a fierce little Spitfire with a roaring Merlin engine.

mkazin
State: California
Pet name: Scottie
My name: Maia

Post by mkazin » 14 Mar 2023, 23:01

Oh wow! Ok. I ended up taking her to the vet and he gave me some cough medicine which seems to be working for now. If it doesn't totally improve he said it's possible it's kennel cough, though my hunch is it's something EPI- related. Will keep you updated!

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 15 Mar 2023, 14:03

Glad the meds from the vet is helping! Typically EPI does not cause coughing issues, unless it's more like gagging or vurping.... but then again, i have learned over the years, never to say never :D ..... so i hopethe meds continue to help and that the coughing goes away completely!
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........