Calcium Oxalte Crystals

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
WestieMuggs
State: *
Pet name: Muggs
My name: Wayne

Calcium Oxalte Crystals

Post by WestieMuggs » 23 Dec 2022, 10:52

Our little Maggie, one of two EPI Westies we have, had a urine analysis done recently that showed calcium oxalate crystals. Acidity was 6.0 and SP was 1.031. Tests done in April showed acidity of 8.0 (which is good) and SP of 1.008 (also good). Something has happened since the spring but the only change has been a move to Hill's i/d from Hill's Gastrointestinal Biome. That was because of supply issues. We started her on Hill's c/d but she has has messy poops and vomiting since the changeover. We are going back to the Biome, which has become available now, as we think the diet change was partly responsible for altered condition and her new test results. Maggie is only four years old which is very young to have possible crystals or stones. Muggs, our other EPI Westie, has not been affected. Perhaps Maggie, who has also had incontinence problems, is prone to crystal formation and the change of diet did not help. We really do not know nor does the literature say much about causes. Has anyone else had kidney or bladder problems with their EPI dog? Or serious problems with dog food such as i/d or c/d?

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Re: Calcium Oxalte Crystals

Post by jilbert57 » 23 Dec 2022, 12:45

Has her bloodwork shown an increase in blood calcium?

Any diet or supplement that has high calcium content or oxylates? Any spinach, almonds or buckwheat that would add oxalates?

I know for awhile there was a recall on the i/d and c/d (and others) due to high levels of Vit. D.

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 23 Dec 2022, 13:29

I have not had this issue, but then again, i never had to put my EPI dog on Hills I/D food....... so i cannot offer any help with this, however i did want to see the two westies (in your profile) sure are real cuties.

But... what i CAN share with you is if/when your dog has Oxalate crystals... give them slippery elm powder... it will help break up the crystals and help prevent the oxalate crystals from forming again.

i learned this when my mom's Jack Russell had oxalate crystals... the dog on Slippery elm powder and when we brought the dog back to the vet wanted to know what did we do, because he no longer had any crystals.... Slippery elm is loaded with magnesium and that is what cleared up the oxalate crystals..

However...on the flip side you more often hear of a dog having struvite crystals.... and with struvite crystals the last thing you want to do is load them up with magnesium...so be sure to know what type of crystals your dog has before giving slippery elm.
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

WestieMuggs
State: *
Pet name: Muggs
My name: Wayne

Post by WestieMuggs » 05 Jan 2023, 10:40

Thank you for the replies. We are going back to Hill's Gastrointestinal Biome. Hill's says that "This food was also formulated to promote a urinary environment that reduces the risk of developing struvite and calcium oxalate crystals." We stared the transition a week ago and the stools seems to be getting better and Maggie is not up in the middle of the night with diarrhea any more. But her stools are softer than I like. We may have to look at other remedies.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 08 Jan 2023, 12:42

if it is helping with the crystal situation but not optimally agreeing with the EPI condition.... before changing food, try adding a pinch more enzymes to the food to compensate. See if this help further firm up the poos........................especially since you are trying to control crystal development and this food "appears" to be working.....................
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Brunner
State: New York
Pet name: MyyLu

Post by Brunner » 12 Jan 2023, 04:58

You are correct. I'll phone the clinic and tell them to proceed. Thank you very much!