calling all pedigree GSDs with EPI.....

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

calling all pedigree GSDs with EPI.....

Post by Olesia711 » 26 Nov 2022, 15:05

Attachments
EPI recruit.jpg
EPI recruit.jpg (110.23 KiB) Viewed 1224 times
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Olesia711

Re: calling all pedigree GSDs with EPI.....

Post by Olesia711 » 26 Nov 2022, 15:08

if you are interested in participating in this EPI study at Clemson University,

PLEASE contact :

Olivia Cobb
omcobb@clemson.edu
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Kodis Mom
Staff
State: Washington

Post by Kodis Mom » 27 Nov 2022, 00:30

Sounds exciting! I'll have to see if I can find Kodis info. We didn't register her as we had her spade. But her parents were. We'll see if she will be accepted. Thanks
Kodi
B. 8/19/2010 Diagnosed at 11 months.
Kodi is now on Natures Logic turkey and/or pork kibble, 2 cups with 2 teaspoons of enzymes, 1/8 teaspoon of ground coriander, 1/16 teaspoon of cinnamon and ground fennel seed (for tummy upsets) twice a day, plus one one B12 capsule from Wonderlabs. She has been very stable and on occasion needs a dose ofTylan.
She is our second GSD with EPI. It was not so scary this time ! And thank goodness for epi4dogs.com ! 💝 Kodi passed on August 25, 2023 just after her 13th birthday.💝 Forever grateful to Olesia and epi4dogs. She live a long and adventurous life with EPI.

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 27 Nov 2022, 09:15

That would be WONDERFUL !!!! If both her parents had pedigrees... i would guess/hope that this would be acceptable.....
Please let us know what happens.... and THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vanessade
Pet name: Finn
My name: Vanessa

Post by Vanessade » 28 Nov 2022, 00:22

Is this just for dogs residing in the US? We live in Canada and would be happy to take part otherwise.
Finn is a 2yr old GSD. Tested positive for EPI April 2022. Results TLI<1, Cobalamin 321, Folate 28

Chance
Pet name: Chance
My name: Andrea

Post by Chance » 28 Nov 2022, 23:29

Looks like we aren't eligible. Pure yellow Lab. If I wasn't in Canada, perhaps I could paint some black hairs. Ah but then we still have the ears :lol:

Labs aren't well represented in this disease; but there are a few!

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 30 Nov 2022, 10:25

for now they are doing just GSD (German Shepherds) because they already have a wealth of info with EPI on GSDs... so they are building on that :) ... for now.

But thank you SOOOOoooooooooooooooo much for wanting to...the more people that respond, the better chance we have of finding answers.

We at EPi4Dogs are working very hard with researchers first with the Microbiome/Metabolomic study and now with a updated genetic study.....trying to find out why EPI happens.....It certainly is a tough nut to crack but we will keep trying to find answers!

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 30 Nov 2022, 10:52

i am not sure if dogs from Canada would be eligible.... BUT..... great question... please contact Olivia directly and ask :)
omcobb@clemson.edu

Kodis Mom
Staff
State: Washington

Post by Kodis Mom » 08 Dec 2022, 22:22

I completed the survey and Kodi had her blood drawn on Monday and it was sent by FedEx the same day.. So glad we could participate, hopefully this Clemson study will help understand EPI better !
Kodi
B. 8/19/2010 Diagnosed at 11 months.
Kodi is now on Natures Logic turkey and/or pork kibble, 2 cups with 2 teaspoons of enzymes, 1/8 teaspoon of ground coriander, 1/16 teaspoon of cinnamon and ground fennel seed (for tummy upsets) twice a day, plus one one B12 capsule from Wonderlabs. She has been very stable and on occasion needs a dose ofTylan.
She is our second GSD with EPI. It was not so scary this time ! And thank goodness for epi4dogs.com ! 💝 Kodi passed on August 25, 2023 just after her 13th birthday.💝 Forever grateful to Olesia and epi4dogs. She live a long and adventurous life with EPI.

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 09 Dec 2022, 15:23

thank you SOOOOOOoooooo much for doing this..... figuring out why EPI happens has sure been a mystery.... but we will keep on trying to figure this out!

P.S> Please Thank Kodi for me too :)