Enzyme soak-and-wait time period

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Rockymountainmama
State: New Mexico
Pet name: Chekhov

Enzyme soak-and-wait time period

Post by Rockymountainmama » 02 Oct 2022, 16:18

Dear EPI Forum,
We regained all the weight back on feeding 4x/day at 150% the normal amount, but started losing weight when we went back to 3x/day at 100% normal food amount. So we're back up to 4x/day at 150%. It would be easier for us to prepare his next meal immediately after he finishes a meal. But this would mean the enzymes would soak on the moistened low-fiber kibble for 3 hours, instead of one.

I've only heard of minimum soak times for enzymes, such as 20 minutes, and then also longer times suggested, such as an hour. I haven't read anything about MAXIMUM soak times. Like, if this is all at room temperature, do the enzymes lose potency after soaking on food for too long? Any research or personal experience with this?

Thanks so much!
RMM
On 6/14/2022: TLI 2.9, Cobalamin 165, Folate 7.2. Weight went from 71 to 63 in 2 weeks.

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Re: Enzyme soak-and-wait time period

Post by jilbert57 » 02 Oct 2022, 18:27

You would not be able to let the enzymed food sit out all day without bacteria growing on it. If you put it in the fridge it will inhibit enzyme activity. I am not sure how you could prepare it so you didn't have 4- 15 minute enzyme wait period. Maybe someone else will chime in. Good luck.

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 02 Oct 2022, 19:54

our rule of thumb is to NOT let food sit out with enzymes for longer than an hour ... otherwise bacteria can develop and then you would have more problems.........

some people prepare the food with the enzymes for the day, and place in the frig..... i personally don't like this system because it doesn't always work well for all dogs, but worth trying if you are pressed for time... the thing to look out for is if over time, the poos start getting sloppy... that is when you know this technique is not working for your dog.

SO...... You will need to actually serve the food at room temp ... and since you cannot heat the food up or nuke it.... what you can try is place the amount of refrigerated food for that feeding in a bowl and let the bowl of cold food float around in another bowl of very warm water so that the food can slowly warm up to room temp without nuking or heating it up.
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 02 Oct 2022, 21:06

Thanks Olesia!

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 03 Oct 2022, 11:30

i am sure there are other methods of warming up the food without nuking or heating.... but this is the technique i tried.... and abandoned cuz refrig food didn't work for us.
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........