Loose stools after boarding

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
cjjames
State: Florida
Pet name: Jade
My name: Christin

Loose stools after boarding

Post by cjjames » 30 Sep 2022, 13:07

Hey everyone,

My dog Jade was left in boarding for 10 days and when I brought her home her stools seemed to be fine, maybe only a tad bit soft. (Her stools were consistently well formed before boarding).

A few days after bringing her home (few weeks ago now), it’s been completely loose. Some partially formed stools but mostly very runny.

I’d given her a trifexis pill a few days before boarding but it was a few months expired (irresponsible, I know, but I was on a severe time crunch and figured something better than nothing.

Could this be from some kind of parasite do you guys think? Or may be EPI related.
I’m going to have her checked out at the vet but wanted to ask first. Would love to hear your guys thoughts.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Re: Loose stools after boarding

Post by Olesia711 » 30 Sep 2022, 14:06

It could be either of those possibilities.

The first thing i would check with the vet to see if jade didn't pick up some sort of bacteria.... since she was in a kennel...... it may be something that needs to be treated with antibiotics.... if the vet finds anything.............

if not,

then it is possible that the enzymes were inadvertently not always given properly, and this would have encouraged SID to act up.... Or.... she was given treats or some food without enzymes by an uninformed person who only meant well.... in which case.... try slippery elm and or pre+probiotics first to see if this would help alleviate the diarrhea and if not, then a course of Tylan.
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

cjjames

Post by cjjames » 01 Oct 2022, 12:31

Gotcha, she actually was given treats the day I picked her up since she had a limp and I asked them to check it out. They gave treats for having her stand still. Could a few treats throw off the digestion this much?

Also I have prozyme already, would you have a recommended starting dose?

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 01 Oct 2022, 13:27

yes....it depends on the individual EPI dog, but yes... a few tret can set them off with loose stools.

HOWEVER.... i see you mentioned a limp AND loose stools....... this could also be the result of tick disease... even if your dog has been on tick and flea mends... sometimes they still gt infected... might want to have it checked out.
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

cjjames

Post by cjjames » 01 Oct 2022, 21:51

Okay gotcha. And the limp had went away in a few days. I think that was from not getting enough padding in her crate.
Does limping from ticks last longer than that?

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 02 Oct 2022, 19:57

yes.... if you ever see limping and diarrhea together... AND if it dosn't appear to be anything that anyone cn figure out / or the vet can't figure out what is wrong.... then have them tested for possible tick disease...

i honestly don't know how long the limping lasts for tick disease.....