Ideas for toys?

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
mkazin
State: California
Pet name: Scottie
My name: Maia

Ideas for toys?

Post by mkazin » 09 Aug 2022, 14:05

Hi all!

I've posted here a bunch in the past, and happy to report Scottie is sitting pretty at 50 lbs (perfect for her size), eating well, and pooping normally! And the bile throw ups have gone down. So thank you thank you thank you for everything.

Question-- I want to get her some more toys, but am coming up short. The only things she really has now are flat stuffies that she loves to pull the fluff off of. She used to have nylabones that she loved, but she got a serious slab fracture on her tooth, and the vet removed it and said she shouldn't have hard toys anymore. Obviously anything that relies on food enrichment is out. She likes tennis balls ok, but often ignores them. Would love to find something she can use to amuse herself/self soothe/interact with in place of a bone. Anything that has worked for your babies?

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Re: Ideas for toys?

Post by jilbert57 » 09 Aug 2022, 14:13

Mine love the Kong Wubba. It is 2 squeaky balls on top of each other with material over them and it looks like an octopus.

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

mkazin
State: California
Pet name: Scottie
My name: Maia

Post by mkazin » 09 Aug 2022, 19:41

Thanks! This looks great I’ll get her one

TrixEPIMama
State: Texas
Pet name: Trixie

Post by TrixEPIMama » 10 Aug 2022, 20:59

My EPI dog Trixie is a destroyer of all toys. No soft or stuffed toy would last five minutes in her presence, and even many "indestructible" toys have died swift, painful deaths in her jaws. So any recommendations I have are based on that.

That said, though, she loves to catch her Kong frisbee (soft on the mouth, but still hard to chew through).

And we also found that Kong makes THE most diabolically entertaining dog toy in the entire world -- The Jumbler. It squeaks! It rolls! It rolls in crazy ways! It has two handles for tug-o-war. And the truly diabolical aspect: it has a tennis ball inside its (very thick) soft plastic exterior, so that when she finally destroys the main bits (which may take months), there's a reward still waiting within that is very, very difficult to get out.

https://www.amazon.com/KONG-Jumbler-Lar ... 00KNWVPFO/

Though she's only a slight, slender 32 pounds, we got her the large/x-large and it's just right. She's mad for the thing.

I'll be happily watching this thread for other recommendations.
Trixie is an Australian cattle dog or mix, likely born in the Fall of 2020. Picked up as a stray, she was already suffering undiagnosed EPI when we adopted her. Test later showed TLI <1 and cobalamin 189.

Her (non-standard) treatment is 1900 mcg of pure freeze-dried pork pancreas from Allergy Research Group per day. Also 1/4 teaspoon of slippery elm powder and 1/2 (previously one) capsule a day of WonderLabs TrinFac-B, all mixed into her food and served immediately, without the usual 20-minute wait.

We feed Canidae Angus Beef and Barley, which may not yet be the perfect food, but she's doing well and has "happy" normal poops.

Montgomery
Pet name: Montgomery (I'm a CAT!)
My name: V

Post by Montgomery » 12 Aug 2022, 01:01

What about a Tire Biter? It's made of rubber, so it isn't hard, but it isn't too soft, either. You could try a Jolly Ball or Jolly Egg. The latter, if you get the right size, is impossible to pick up, but is great fun for them to herd. Hyper Dog squeaky balls and "bone" (not hard, just lumpy TPR), or Planet Dog, if they're still around, are softish but tough.
Montgomery was born 20 March 2012. He eats extra lean ground chicken, lean ground pork and lean ground beef completed with Alnutrin and freeze-dried chicken liver, with hard-cooked egg. He gets two size zero capsules of Enzyme Diane's enzymes at each of his six meals, and a size four capsule of Tylan three times a day. He's a fierce little Spitfire with a roaring Merlin engine.