Thank you

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
barbhamon@gmail.com
State: Kentucky
Pet name: Sarge
My name: Barb

Thank you

Post by barbhamon@gmail.com » 10 Aug 2022, 19:41

Well, it has been a long journey, but Sarge is doing well. Since his diagnosis in early 2021 he has come a long way. And a great deal of this has been with the help, support and valuable information I received from this forum and the wonderful people who have given their time and knowledge. Sarge has now gone back to work (it is his happy place), but we are only working him on detection for now. He is well, good weight, very active and seems very healthy. He has been through a lot (in addition to his EPI, he also had to go through an emergency surgery for GDV (bloat). Thanks to a wonderful emergency vet team he was able to get through that even though at the time he was still emaciated from the EPI. He is now (fingers crossed) stable with his weight and his poops are good. It is so good to have a place to land full of people who are willing to share their experiences and knowledge when things seems to be going in the wrong direction. So, thank you to all who have answered my questions, given me advice and kept me moving forward. You will never know how much your support meant. Thank you all and may God bless each and every one of you.

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Re: Thank you

Post by jilbert57 » 10 Aug 2022, 21:00

What a great update! Thank you for the information on Sarge.
Hopefully you two will continue on an upward path.

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 10 Aug 2022, 21:23

Hi Barb,

Thank you for your very kind words.... we appreciate it!

And we are so very glad to hear that Sarge is doing well now with his EPI, and especially thankful to hear that he was promptly taken care of (GDV surgery) and recovered nicely from bloat ... that is VERY scary stuff.

It took me about a year to be comfortable with dealing with EPI too... and then even when my Izzy had "flare-ups" with the SID part, it got to where, i no longer stressed out and knew how to get things back under control... as a matter of fact, after i had a thorough understanding of how to manage EPI, i never had to have the vet see Izzy for her EPI ever again in the remaining 14 years of her life.....

It's amazing how knowledge about a condition can be so helpful. Awareness about EPI was and is the driving force of Epi4Dogs .. but the success of this organization is all because of the wonderful people who give of their time sharing their knowledge and experience with others in hope that it may help them.

Looking forward to hearing more good reports about Sarge and that he is doing well in his job.
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 11 Aug 2022, 14:53

Hello, Barb, this is from another Barb. I am so glad to hear that Sarge is doing so well with his EPI and that he recovered from the Bloat. We had a similar experience with Kolby and were profoundly grateful when he recovered from emergency surgery (GDV) also. As you know, timing is of the essence when it comes to Bloat and being able to get our pups to surgery in time is more than half the battle. We subsequently lost Kolby to a sudden, aggressive form of cancer two years later, but we were very grateful that the GDV surgery gave us the extra time with him.

Thank you for your kind words. We all know what it means to have support when our pups are struggling and to be able to celebrate when they thrive.

I hope Sarge continues to do well. Thank you for writing.

Barb