Pre and Probiotics for SIBO?

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
maya193
State: Rhode Island
Pet name: Maya
My name: Debbie

Re: Pre and Probiotics for SIBO?

Post by maya193 » 03 Aug 2022, 08:19

Tuckaboo Pam wrote: 02 Aug 2022, 20:24 Debbie--- Have you considered Tylan for SID? I ask because Tucker takes 1/16 teaspoon daily, also Proviable & slippery elm. Occasionally SID flares up, but for the most part he does well on our routine. --- Pam
Hi Pam, I tried Tylan and proviable and it was a mess, unfortunately. After 2 weeks and constant diarrhea, I stopped. Do you think it's worth trying a small tylan dose with pre and probiotic and see if that works? Or would I need to re do the 45 day initial plan, etc. It's been so frustrating.... :(
Maya is a belgian mal/german shep diagnosed with EPI on 10/12/21. TLI 1.2, B-12 196, Folate 4.8. Currently on Maximum K-9 raw diet, beef and vegetable, Enzyme Diane, Wonderlabs B-12 with IF, Proviable and Slippery Elm.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 03 Aug 2022, 09:26

Debbie... did you try them separately initially?

If not AND if you started the proviable at the full dose.. then what i would recommend is the following:

1. Try Tylan again... and give it three days.... give twice a day with breakfast and dinner.... here is the dosing chart: https://epi4dogs.com/antibiotics/

If you do not see a positive response by day 3... don't bother giving any more Tylan.

2. Then try giving less than 1/2 the recommended dose of the proviable (break the capsule open and divvy up the probiotic..... save the rest for the next day... and ditto.... if after 3 days if you are seeing worse diarrhea... then stop.

3. so ... if none of the above works... then try a little slipper elm powder... the dosing chart is here: https://epi4dogs.com/antibiotics/ ... FYI...with slippery elm more is not always better... it is a fiber so you want to give just enough to help not to give so much that you go in the opposite direction and give loose stools.............
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

maya193

Post by maya193 » 03 Aug 2022, 10:05

Hi! So she was on the proviable first (1/2 recommended dose) and then I added the tylan.....probably not the right way to have done it. So I'll try the tylan first by itself as suggested and see what happens for 3 days and then take it from there! If she does ok after 3 days should I just continue for the 45 day regimen again?
Maya is a belgian mal/german shep diagnosed with EPI on 10/12/21. TLI 1.2, B-12 196, Folate 4.8. Currently on Maximum K-9 raw diet, beef and vegetable, Enzyme Diane, Wonderlabs B-12 with IF, Proviable and Slippery Elm.

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 05 Aug 2022, 13:07

yes :) if The Tylan appears to help continue for 45 days
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Fuzzysmom
State: Texas
Pet name: Fuzzy
My name: Melanie

Post by Fuzzysmom » 06 Aug 2022, 18:09

Soil based organisms were the only thing that worked for Fuzzy, during recovery after diagnosis of EPI and the inevitable SIBO flares. I used the Prescript assist no pea. It is the same as the Pet Flora except more potent. So a large dog needs 1 capsule of the Prescript Assist rather than 3. Fuzzy was given 2 a dose but he is a 175 lb dog. This along with slippery elm kept him from having to do the Tylan regimen. He does get milk based enzymes now as well through his food but I still give the soil based 2 every other week or so and keep them on hand in case of a flare up. No SIBO flare in 4 months
Fuzzy is a Boerboel dob 8/29/19 diagnosed by TLI 1/5/22 Ideal weight 175lbs + Still growing so he's fed to lean body condition for growth. After regulation enzyme amt. went from 1 tsp a cup>1 1/2 tsp per meal> NOW 1/2 tsp per meal!

1st meal: 2 cups Inukshuk Marine 25 2 cup raw blend(tripe,organs,beef) 1/2 tsp Pantennex 2 B12,
2nd : 1 cup Inukshuk Marine 25 , 1cup raw 1/2 tsp Pantennex

He is completely off the slippery elm maintenance amt (1/8 tsp)although I keep on hand in case of sibo. 2 Prescript Assist Soil based probiotics every 4 days

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 06 Aug 2022, 20:37

thanks Melanie for letting us know the soil based probiotics worked for your dog.... good to know!
when we share what does work and doesn't work... over time we start to get a feel for what kinds of things work best for these dogs, so any "experience" with products are always welcome and helpful!

maya193

Post by maya193 » 07 Aug 2022, 12:28

Thank you Olesia and Melanie for all of your input! It really is trial and error and I'm taking all of this into my "info bank".....lol!!!!

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 07 Aug 2022, 12:49

Yep.. Trial & Error.... and Patience .....which IMHO is the hardest part :)

Fuzzysmom
State: Texas
Pet name: Fuzzy
My name: Melanie

Post by Fuzzysmom » 07 Aug 2022, 16:10

Yes it's all trial and error. So many times I was at wits end until I tried something that worked for another dog , and the 5th thing might be what works for Fuzzy. I've got more pictures of Fuzzy's poop than of Fuzzy, I'm sure. :lol: This site is priceless
Fuzzy is a Boerboel dob 8/29/19 diagnosed by TLI 1/5/22 Ideal weight 175lbs + Still growing so he's fed to lean body condition for growth. After regulation enzyme amt. went from 1 tsp a cup>1 1/2 tsp per meal> NOW 1/2 tsp per meal!

1st meal: 2 cups Inukshuk Marine 25 2 cup raw blend(tripe,organs,beef) 1/2 tsp Pantennex 2 B12,
2nd : 1 cup Inukshuk Marine 25 , 1cup raw 1/2 tsp Pantennex

He is completely off the slippery elm maintenance amt (1/8 tsp)although I keep on hand in case of sibo. 2 Prescript Assist Soil based probiotics every 4 days

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 07 Aug 2022, 20:33

gotta love those poop pictures... they sure tell a LOT... but i am waiting for the day when the internet gestapo flags us for indecent photos..........hahahaha!