Weight loss

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
SherriZ
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Harley
My name: Sherri

Weight loss

Post by SherriZ » 27 Jun 2022, 07:26

Harley has lost a significant amount of weight. When she was diagnosed back in February she was 73 lbs, at her best she was 78 and still skin and bones, now she is 70 lbs. She is also hungry ALL the time. Saturday night she took an entire loaf of butter pound cake off the counter(my daughter is still mad about her cake) and knocked over the garbage (something she hasn't done since a puppy) and ate a chicken carcass. She ate at 9:00pm, there was no reason for her to be hungry. Last night she ate her evening meal and within 30 minutes knocked over the garbage again. Luckily, I was in the living room and saw her do it, so she didn't get anything. You can imagine the diarrhea than has been happening, I'm afraid to put her on the scale. Her appetite never seems to be satisfied now. I had settled on two meals a day for her due to my work schedule so I could be consistent with her feeding schedule, she had been doing pretty well with it. She gets a total of about 5.5-6 cups of dry mixed with a can of food a day. We have also transitioned to Enzyme Diane a few months ago without any problems. Anyone else have this problem?
Harley is a 4 year old GSD Diagnosis was confirmed 2/4/2022. PLI <30, TLI<1.0. She is currently managed with Enzyme Diane, Proviable, Tylosin and B-12.

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Re: Weight loss

Post by jilbert57 » 27 Jun 2022, 08:45

Hi Sherri, what food are you feeding?most dogs do better on a grain free diet as the grain can interfere with how the enzymes work. Are you incubating the enzymes with the food before serving? The start point is 1 level teaspoon enzyme per 1 cup kibble.
Is there any way to feed a meal right after work plus 1 before bed?
I would be feeding 150% of the amount it says for what weight you want her to weigh.
Are you doing monthly B12 shots or are you supplementing with oral?
Thank you for answers.

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 27 Jun 2022, 15:36

Jill gave a great suggestion... see if you can sneak in another meal at around 1 hr before bedtime.... even if not a full me, just a smaller meal.
That should help .... AND make sure you are giving enough enzymes....if the stools are firm, you are good... if not... slightly increase the enzymes by 1/8 tsp at each meal and see if that abates the hunger..... HOWEVER.... just do one change at a time.... i would try an extra meal at almost bedtime for a week and see if that helps... if not... THEN give a pinch moe enzymes...............
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

SherriZ
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Harley
My name: Sherri

Post by SherriZ » 28 Jun 2022, 09:26

She is on the Costco brand which I understand to be the Diamond Naturals. I have not been using the grain free but it is <4% fiber. Her enzymes had already been increased. I incubate 20 minutes before feeds. I cannot get an extra meal in on work days. I am out of the house 6:00am to 8:30PM, by the time I feed the pets and me it is past bedtime. She has gained 2 pounds back. She is a very hyper and crazy dog. Her gut seems to be settling a little from her foraging efforts.
Harley is a 4 year old GSD Diagnosis was confirmed 2/4/2022. PLI <30, TLI<1.0. She is currently managed with Enzyme Diane, Proviable, Tylosin and B-12.

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 28 Jun 2022, 09:40

Ok just keep it in the back of your mind if the poop stays bad you might need a grain free, without peas or lentils. Good luck

https://epi4dogs.com/dog-food-options/

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Montgomery
Pet name: Montgomery (I'm a CAT!)
My name: V

Post by Montgomery » 01 Jul 2022, 21:22

They make feeders for cats, and probably for dogs too, that keep food cool and are either timed or on a microchip, if you need an extra meal when you're not at home. I'm not sure if it would work with enzymed food. Maybe somebody else knows. I know people who use it with raw or home-cooked diets, though. Montgomery gets six meals a day, as per the veterinarian. It seems to get enough food and enzymes into him.
Montgomery was born 20 March 2012. He eats extra lean ground chicken, lean ground pork and lean ground beef completed with Alnutrin and freeze-dried chicken liver, with hard-cooked egg. He gets two size zero capsules of Enzyme Diane's enzymes at each of his six meals, and a size four capsule of Tylan three times a day. He's a fierce little Spitfire with a roaring Merlin engine.

maya193
State: Rhode Island
Pet name: Maya
My name: Debbie

Post by maya193 » 06 Jul 2022, 08:56

Hello. I can attest that an extra meal (even if a small one) helps tremendously in terms of gaining that lost weight and stopping the obsession over food-seeking. I had Maya on 4 meals per day in the beginning and she is down to 3...and on some days we just do 2. I found that more frequent and less amount works best on her digestive system. Your baby is just trying to gain that lost weight back....once it normalizes the food crazies die down considerably.
Maya is a belgian mal/german shep diagnosed with EPI on 10/12/21. TLI 1.2, B-12 196, Folate 4.8. Currently on Maximum K-9 raw diet, beef and vegetable, Enzyme Diane, Wonderlabs B-12 with IF, Proviable and Slippery Elm.