I'm Needing All the Advice I Can Get!!!

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Janie
State: Kentucky
Pet name: Zeus
My name: Janie

I'm Needing All the Advice I Can Get!!!

Post by Janie » 13 Apr 2022, 19:03

My dog, Zeus, was diagnosed with Pancreatitis 3 years ago. The vet managed to get it under control. Since then, and the past two years has been an emotional struggling dilemma. Zeus started having loose bowels, so the vet put him on Metronidazole and Pectalin probiotics. Plus, he has been on many veterinary prescribed dog foods such as Hills Prescription, Royal Canine and Blue Buffalo. Other foods have included every kind on the market for gastrointestinal issues. Currently he is on steroids and eats boiled chicken breast tenderloins and 1/4 cup Forza 10 Colon dog food. Moving the amount of dog food up causes stomach gurgles, foam around the mouth after he eats and loose stools. The Metronidazole caused him to have blood in his urine and now kidney issues. The vet prescribed Zeus the Tylan as I requested, but it caused him to have severe loud gas and explosive bowel movements. I don't know and just wonder if that may possibly been the Tylan moving the bad stuff out of his system. Slippery Elm done the same thing....loud gas and explosive bowel movements. I do know that Zeus does not tolerate anything with any form of corn or rice which is probably why he isn't doing well on the Forza 10 colon food either. I ordered enzymes from Diane but Zeus vomited it up. After talking with Diane, we decided EPI was not Zeus' issue. His last vet visit left him diagnosed with inflammatory bowel disease. The steroids make him ravenous for food and acts like he is starving, he has went from 60 lbs to now 51 lbs. Any suggestions that anyone can be would be greatly appreciated! After 3 years, I am financially and emotionally broken and the stress of worrying about getting Zeus healthy has effected my health! I am looking forward to suggestions for getting Zeus healthy! Thank You!

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Re: I'm Needing All the Advice I Can Get!!!

Post by jilbert57 » 13 Apr 2022, 19:23

Are you treating Zeus as if he has chronic pancreatitis or have you tested him in awhile?
Maybe he has a food allergy and one of the hydrolyzed diets might help. I believe it is the Ultamino.

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 13 Apr 2022, 21:06

Janie, if your vet has diagnosed Zeus with IBS, I'll tell you about my IBS maltipoo (10 pounder). Between two vets, and ME!, we have come up with a routine that has been working for a long while.

1) diet--- Fresh Pet

2)small dose of Pepto Bismol almost daily

3) daily pinch of Proviable

4)Pinch of Tylan I place in a capsule, about 6 times/month

Like I said, it is doing the trick. My Ruthie, too, was first prescribed Metro, but I'm glad she no longer takes it.

Hope this helps!---Pam

PS If you are not going to use the enzymes, I will buy them from you.
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 14 Apr 2022, 12:22

If possible, Jill gave a great suggestion..... i too would first have your vet recheck for possible pancreatitis flare-up...

And second , Pam's program that is working for her dog is a GREAT example of how with possible IBS or IBD (if this is what you are dealing with) sometimes it is the amount/dose of an ingredient that can make a difference......

For example... you mentioned that slippery elm gave him gas and explosive diarrhea.... it is a fine line with SLippery elm... depending on the dog.... just a pinch can greatly help, but when given more than a pinch.... it does the opposite and gives tons of gas and loose stools. Near a i can tell, the Forzo10 food contains Psyllium which is like a high dose of Slippery Elm.

This does sound more like possible IBS or IBD or something other than EPI.... so i also agree with trying a hydrolyzed food like Royal Canin "Ultamino" however... that being said... and the fact that your dog is having such a strong reaction to Slippery Elm, Tylan and possibly the Forzo10 food..... i am wondering if you would not be better served by trying for a short time, home-preparing your own food with ONLY two ingredients (a stripped down diet that you slowly add to) cause this does sound like if this is IBD or IBS it is possible that a minor ingredient may possibly be setting your dog off.... or it could be a carb or a protein....

For only 3 to 5 days ONLY... try plain boiled white rice and double rinsed (1/3) with baked chicken breast with fat and skin removed (2/3) ... nothing else... see if this is tolerated. give absolutely NOTHING else (of course this is only short term.)
If the above is well tolerated try adding 1 ingredient at a time for a few days... if not well tolerated.
Try for another 3 days ONLY baked, skinned mashed sweet potato and chicken breast.... if another blow out happens, swap out the chicken for LEAN beef or LEAN pork loin with all the fat trimmed.... and if this doesn't work, try scrambled egg....

WHere i am going with this is to figure out if you dog is having an issue with protein or with possible gluten or the type of carb/ fiber (potato or rice) .. or if no reaction... then it very well could be some minor ingredient in the commercial food.

THe other thing you can try.... is talk to your vet about using NATURAL ingredients to reduce possible inflammation.... and see if this helps any.... For example.... ask you vet for guidance as to how much to use (try one-at a time) and which brand do they suggest.....of the following:
Spirulina
Boswellia serrata
Licorice
Curcumin from turmeric (although this is touted to be VERY good for inflammation, my vet told me that some dogs cannot handle this - -so try with caution and closely watch for loose stools or itchies)

Hope some of these suggestions help and please keep us posted1
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Janie

Post by Janie » 14 Apr 2022, 19:58

jilbert57 wrote: 13 Apr 2022, 19:23 Are you treating Zeus as if he has chronic pancreatitis or have you tested him in awhile?
Maybe he has a food allergy and one of the hydrolyzed diets might help. I believe it is the Ultamino.

Jill
Thank you Jill. I will definitely ask the vet about the Ultamino!

Janie

Post by Janie » 14 Apr 2022, 20:14

Tuckaboo Pam wrote: 13 Apr 2022, 21:06 Janie, if your vet has diagnosed Zeus with IBS, I'll tell you about my IBS maltipoo (10 pounder). Between two vets, and ME!, we have come up with a routine that has been working for a long while.

1) diet--- Fresh Pet

2)small dose of Pepto Bismol almost daily

3) daily pinch of Proviable

4)Pinch of Tylan I place in a capsule, about 6 times/month

Like I said, it is doing the trick. My Ruthie, too, was first prescribed Metro, but I'm glad she no longer takes it.

Hope this helps!---Pam

PS If you are not going to use the enzymes, I will buy them from you.
Thank you for the great suggestions! I will talk to my vet about trying this routine that is working for you. if you email me at janieblair39@gmail.com, or private message me your address, I will be glad to send you the enzymes.

Janie

Post by Janie » 14 Apr 2022, 20:34

Olesia711 wrote: 14 Apr 2022, 12:22 If possible, Jill gave a great suggestion..... i too would first have your vet recheck for possible pancreatitis flare-up...

And second , Pam's program that is working for her dog is a GREAT example of how with possible IBS or IBD (if this is what you are dealing with) sometimes it is the amount/dose of an ingredient that can make a difference......

For example... you mentioned that slippery elm gave him gas and explosive diarrhea.... it is a fine line with SLippery elm... depending on the dog.... just a pinch can greatly help, but when given more than a pinch.... it does the opposite and gives tons of gas and loose stools. Near a i can tell, the Forzo10 food contains Psyllium which is like a high dose of Slippery Elm.

This does sound more like possible IBS or IBD or something other than EPI.... so i also agree with trying a hydrolyzed food like Royal Canin "Ultamino" however... that being said... and the fact that your dog is having such a strong reaction to Slippery Elm, Tylan and possibly the Forzo10 food..... i am wondering if you would not be better served by trying for a short time, home-preparing your own food with ONLY two ingredients (a stripped down diet that you slowly add to) cause this does sound like if this is IBD or IBS it is possible that a minor ingredient may possibly be setting your dog off.... or it could be a carb or a protein....

For only 3 to 5 days ONLY... try plain boiled white rice and double rinsed (1/3) with baked chicken breast with fat and skin removed (2/3) ... nothing else... see if this is tolerated. give absolutely NOTHING else (of course this is only short term.)
If the above is well tolerated try adding 1 ingredient at a time for a few days... if not well tolerated.
Try for another 3 days ONLY baked, skinned mashed sweet potato and chicken breast.... if another blow out happens, swap out the chicken for LEAN beef or LEAN pork loin with all the fat trimmed.... and if this doesn't work, try scrambled egg....

WHere i am going with this is to figure out if you dog is having an issue with protein or with possible gluten or the type of carb/ fiber (potato or rice) .. or if no reaction... then it very well could be some minor ingredient in the commercial food.

THe other thing you can try.... is talk to your vet about using NATURAL ingredients to reduce possible inflammation.... and see if this helps any.... For example.... ask you vet for guidance as to how much to use (try one-at a time) and which brand do they suggest.....of the following:
Spirulina
Boswellia serrata
Licorice
Curcumin from turmeric (although this is touted to be VERY good for inflammation, my vet told me that some dogs cannot handle this - -so try with caution and closely watch for loose stools or itchies)

Hope some of these suggestions help and please keep us posted1
Olesia,
Thank you for so much for the reassuring advice! Since Zeus does well on the boiled chicken but has issues with any rice or corn I think I will try adding the sweet potato and if that fails, then the scrambled egg while waiting on the vet to suggest which commercial food to try from all of these great responses I received! I think I will also try the Tylan again at a very small pinch. Perhaps I was giving a full dose and it didn't sit well with him. My first time finding this website led me to the story about Izzy. Your story has forever touched my heart! Thank you for being here to help people like me struggling with doggie issues. Zeus is my pet, but even more, he is my best friend and feels like one of my children. Seeing him suffer is totally heartbreaking, but you all have given me renewed hope,. I have copy and pasted all of the suggestions to take to Zeus' vet. Thank You!

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 15 Apr 2022, 06:19

SCRAMBLED EGGE AND MASHED POTATO is my go to food for anything

I have no experience with IBD OR Pancreatitis so Jill is your Man as such
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 15 Apr 2022, 09:24

you are more than welcome.

And thank you for your kind words about my personal story with my heart-dog Izzy. She was my world.....and always will be that once-in-a-lifetime dog..... but so are so many other dogs who's care-giver is on this forum/website/facebook page. We truly love our companions and collectively we all want to help others get their beloved companions feeling better..........

Please be sure to share everything/anything we suggest to you with your vet, and let us know how the vet visit goes .... and we will help as best we can, if we can..
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Janie

Post by Janie » 20 Apr 2022, 09:28

Jean wrote: 15 Apr 2022, 06:19 SCRAMBLED EGGE AND MASHED POTATO is my go to food for anything

I have no experience with IBD OR Pancreatitis so Jill is your Man as such

Thank you Jean. I'm so sorry for your loss. Scrambled eggs and mashed potatoes sounds good to me too!