I'm Needing All the Advice I Can Get!!!

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Re: I'm Needing All the Advice I Can Get!!!

Post by Jean » 20 Apr 2022, 11:02

Kara was my world, and thank you
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 21 Apr 2022, 13:46

Dear Janie,

I am so sorry you are going through all this. You are in good hands with Olesia, Jill, Pam and those who have experience with IBD or IBS. Our Kolby had EPI and was eventually stable on Diane's enzymes, but it took us quite a while to find a food that would agree with him. And like you, we felt like our health was deteriorating along with his. We all know how you feel......especially how you feel when it doesn't look like you are making progress while watching your boy suffer. Kolby went to 53 pounds.....his Target weight was 85, so you can imagine what he looked like. But we hung in there with so much help from all the good folks here until finally Royal Canin Prescription food worked. Back then they didn't have the good prescription foods that are available today. Kolby left us in 2020 at 11 years. All the trial and error was not easy, but well worth it, He was a gift. We know how you feel about Zeus.

I hope you find the balance Zeus needs . We hope we can be of help.

Barb

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 22 Apr 2022, 05:25

I remember being told at the start that Kara might have IBD, it would be an elimination diet and we would have to find a novel protein , not easy, so we would have gone for game , or Kangaroo something like that, she was intolerant of most proteins so we stuck to lamb, no chicken or poultry fat she she couldn't have it, but it wasnt bad and we did that for 8 years
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

Janie
State: Kentucky
Pet name: Zeus
My name: Janie

Post by Janie » 25 Aug 2022, 22:58

Barb, thank you and Olesia, Jill, and Pam. I'm sorry I'm just now updating the post, but good old long haul covid caused heart trouble so I spent time in the hospital, getting sonograms, etc. Doc said biggest heart problem is stress.
I told doctor to cure my dog then a lot of stress will be under control 😁. Currently Zeus is using homemade Balance-It recipe of 3 cups boiled chicken breast tenderloins, 6 tbsp broccoli, 3 tbsp applesauce and 3 tbsp cooked carrots. But, as usual, he has done good for a few months and then develops an intolerance to either the carrots or applesauce used in the recipe. The vet put him on Prednisolone and although he couldn't tolerate Diane Enzyme, I found Miracle Enzyme that I am introducing slowly to his daily meals plus giving him Tylan at 1/16 tsp dose every other day. He has not gained any weight and he is now pulling his hair out. Not certain if it's reaction to food item, Prednisolone or mites. Vet has me treating him with peroxide and water solution. It's so heartbreaking to see this once healthy dog deteriorate so drastically. Please know all of you are in my thoughts and prayers and you give me strength to continue to endure this dilemma. Thank you all ❤

Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 26 Aug 2022, 14:36

Janie, I am so sorry about the long covid. I have received four shots, total, and I still caught covid in July. It was like the worst cold I've ever had, and I remained tired for a long time. Your issues are so scary, and I want you to know I am thinking of you and of Zeus, too. Take care---Pam & Tucker
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

Janie

Post by Janie » 26 Aug 2022, 20:34

I talked to Zeus' vet again today. I don't get too far with suggestions. I either hear "I haven't heard of that" or "I find no scientific evidence for that". I tried to explain I think the steroids are doing more harm than good. Zeus does good on 3 cups chicken breast tenderloins and broccoli. I've asked vet for suggestions for third filler but am told just leave him on carrots, but I believe the carrots are causing him to scratch and causing ear irritation. We've tried boiled potatoes, sweet potatoes, applesauce and rice. He doesn't tolerate any of these. I'm giving him 1/16 tsp Tylan every other day and 1/8 tsp of Miracle enzyme with his meals twice daily. My healthy dog has gone from 79 lbs to 53 lbs and so far nothing is putting weight on him. What would you all suggest to add to the food to keep poop solid? He had bit his skin and has raw bald patches and consumes an astronomically amount of water. I honestly believe it's the steroids. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 27 Aug 2022, 23:26

Janie, i am so so sorry that you were so sick with Covid AND ... and to hear how poorly Zeus is doing..... and my apologies for the delayed response!!!!

I have a question for you...........based on the hair loss patches and excessive water drinking...... has Zeus ever been tested for Cushings or A-Typical Cushings???

If not..... i would ask the vet to please run an ACTH test..... Zeus' previous symptoms and now the mention of hair loss and drinking excessive water ... this i starting to sound like (#1) A-Typical Cushings or (#2) Cushings

I am at a loss as to what else to feed as a bulk ingredient..... :(

I went thru this with one of my dogs years ago.... it took the vets two years to finally figure out what was going on... and i too thought he had trouble with various foods... but once they properly diagnosed him, put him on Lysodren, Melatonin, Flax Seed HUlls.... within 1 week he stopped losing weight, was able to eat everything and stools were back to normal.
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Janie

Post by Janie » 28 Aug 2022, 13:18

Thank you Olesia for your response. I will ask vet about the Lysodren, Melatonin and flax seed. I think the vet means well, but looking back, it seems Metronidazole long term use caused kidney among other issues, then she's had Zeus on 15 mg steroids since January which I think from reading the steroids can cause cushings disease. The vet requests putting Zeus under Anthistesia (to sleep) even for nail trims. With each time under Anthistesia, Zeus has a hard time coming out of it and adjusting. I sent her pictures of his bald patches and where he has scratched and bit until he is raw with blood. So much advice y'all have provided has been a tremendous help! Although Zeus didn't tolerate Diane Enzymes, I found Miracle Enzyme that lists all ingredients you said were essential. I'm slowly incorporating it into his daily feedings and he is now up to 1/2 recommended dose, but seems to be helping with more solid poop and less poops which I pray is a positive sign he is digesting the food and nourishing his body better. I put a few teaspoons of beechnut pure sweet potato babyfood in with his chicken and broccoli this morning to see if he will tolerate it. The vet told me to keep him on carrots, so I obliged and added carrots to his food last night. He automatically started itching and shaking his ears which has always been a sign of food allergy with Zeus. The vet called in Ceraven CHX-CB shampoo and NK-9 supplement. We bathed him in the shampoo and will bathe him again today. The only thing is, if it's mites from poor immune system, I don't see where the shampoo will get rid of the issue. I would love to taper Zeus off those steroids and see if the enzyme will work without those steroids. We don't have a vet that specializes in EPI or nutrition near Owensboro and it seems all small town vets here cover each others shifts, etc. If Zeus has developed Cushing's Disease, I feel the steroids caused it. It seems from Zeus being treated fot pancreatitis onto IBD, the meds just keep causing more issues such as weak immune system or possibly Cushing's Disease. I know I can call the vet to taper Zeus off steroids for inflammatory bowel disease, but will more than likely butt heads. As of now, I'm going to keep him on the enzymes, the 3 cups chicken and broccoli and few tsps Sweet potato and the Wonder Lab vitamin b12 supplement with 1/16 tsp Tylan. I guess I will research natural remedies for Cushing's Disease. The vet told me no on the enzymes, but I feel they have helped with his poop tremendously. Working part time due to long haul covid also makes it impossible to afford any more vet visits right now plus having Zeus put under Anthistesia is too detrimental. The last visit few months ago included a sonogram. Vet said found swollen lymph nodes and mass possibly born with abnormal kidney. I assumed she was talking about cancer. She said no, but talking with her last week she mentioned
cancer. she prescribed NK-9 immune support system. I'm truly confused! I thank you so much for all of your recommendations. You and the others I believe have helped Zeus more than any medical treatment and information I am receiving. You truly are God's blessing! Thank you!

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 28 Aug 2022, 15:11

PLEASE do not ask the vet to automatically put Zeus on Lysodren, Melatonin and Flax Seed hulls..... but rather please do ask her to schedule Zeus for an ACTH.

Lysodren cannot be prescribed just because someone asks for it..... you have to be VERY careful with it AND you have to give the right dose. (this is what the ACTH test is for) It is even recommended that people have to wear gloves when handling the tablets to give to their dog!

It is imperative that you have a Cushings diagnose prior to administering Lysodren.

However, for the hair loss... talk to your vet about trying Melatonin and ask what dose would be appropriate for Zeus.
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Janie

Post by Janie » 28 Aug 2022, 15:38

I will call the vet tomorrow Thank you!