Struggling with Vet

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Re: Struggling with Vet

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 22 Jan 2022, 12:11

Hey Melinda! And, as you add more food to his diet, you may want to break it up into one more meal per day. ie, the hypothetical 6 cups should be fed in 3, instead of 2 meals. For awhile, anyway, until he adjusts.

Hope this helps Poogan gain some weight.---P
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

PooganNash
State: Michigan
Pet name: Poogan
My name: Melinda

Post by PooganNash » 22 Jan 2022, 12:43

Thank you so much! I will feed breakfast, dinner, and a late meal since I am not always available to feed lunch 😁🤞🏻
Poogan Nash
Fortiflora once daily, Hills i/d food, Viokase - V 1 tsp with each meal, 20mg famotidine with each meal

Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 22 Jan 2022, 15:17

He should start gaining weight, and after a bit I'd go back to two. I feed Tucker at 6 am & 6 pm.
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 22 Jan 2022, 18:27

Hi Melinda,
I am just catching up with you and Poogan. You have already been given great advice. I will just add that our Kolby did not start gaining weight until his B12 levels were up....usually, we say 600+ is good for EPI dogs. You are on your way, but some dogs are slow gainers, so don't be discouraged. As Pam said, increasing the food and number of meals is going to help.

Also I heartily endorse keeping a log/journal if you haven't already started one. It saved our sanity. Record everything you give Poogan, the amounts and the resulting poos each day. It will help you to see what is working and what needs to be adjusted. It also helps you to see patterns you might not have noticed if you hadn't seen them in writing.

Barb

PooganNash
State: Michigan
Pet name: Poogan
My name: Melinda

Post by PooganNash » 22 Jan 2022, 19:50

Barb,
Thank you so much for the encouragement!!!
I do keep a daily journal and track bowel movements
Poogan Nash
Fortiflora once daily, Hills i/d food, Viokase - V 1 tsp with each meal, 20mg famotidine with each meal