EPI Dogs and Climate

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Teila
Pet name: Ziggy
My name: Teila

EPI Dogs and Climate

Post by Teila » 18 Jan 2022, 20:23

Hi all, I hope you are well!

Ziggy arrived safely! He has an appointment with our local vet on Saturday for introductions, diet discussion, worming, booster needle etc.

While still not putting on as much weight as I would like, he is 'doing okay' on:
1 x Creon 10,000 5 mins before meals.
1/2 Cup of the grain-free, Natures Goodness Puppy kibble (soaked) (3% crude fibre)
1/2 Cup of Advance Puppy Chicken & Rice
Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner.

I have FINALLY been able to find out from Advance (because it is not on the label) that it contains "no more than 5% crude fibre" which is, of course, not ideal and I am hoping to switch Ziggy from this but still giving him a chance to settle before trying to make any changes.

So, in the cooler evening and morning, Ziggy's poops are pretty good, not a dark brown but pick-up-able and a 3 on the poop chart; however, during the heat of the day (which can be brutal in FNQ with humidity on top of that) his afternoon poop is a 6.

As his 3 meals a day and Creon dose is the same, could this be related to the heat?

Thanking you in advance!
Warm Regards
Teila & Ziggy

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Re: EPI Dogs and Climate

Post by jilbert57 » 18 Jan 2022, 22:37

So glad to hear Ziggy arrived safely!

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 27 Jan 2022, 19:48

YEA for Ziggy's arrival!!!!

In general, EPI dogs do not do well on poultry, and rice being a grain, that's not ideal either.

Be sure and feed 150% the amount of food you'd be giving him if he weighed what you think he should weigh. ie, if he weighs 10 pounds, but should weigh 15, you'd look at the recommendation for a 15 pound puppy & add 50% more . Also break it up into a few meals each day.

And we'll need some pictures of the little man, please! ---Pam
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 27 Jan 2022, 20:10

if there is a food sensitivity, chicken often is at the top of the list simply because EVERYTHING seems to have chicken in it and it is over done... However... this does not mean that EPI dogs don't do well with chicken... it is just at the top of the list is there seems to be a problem.

REgarding the heat having an affect on the poo... i am just guessing here, but maybe yes???! The reason why i think it might be an influence is because some dogs have loose stool simply from excitement . Good or bad. Excitement going for a walk or the activity........ or freaking out because they went to the vet.... some of these normal activities can trigger soft stools in some dogs that are extra sensitive....
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Dixie
State: New York
Pet name: Dikson
My name: Sanchezw

Post by Dixie » 15 Mar 2022, 03:52

I’m glad to hear that everything is fine with him now. The climate around affects the dog’s diet. It is stressful for them if it gets too hot. What type of apartment do you have? Be careful with the air conditioners. They may catch a cold because of this. My dog doesn’t move at all in the heat. It can get up occasionally to eat or to drink. It even doesn’t want to play with toys. I order them at https://www.doggietoys.deals/product/sq ... etball-toy / if anyone is interested. Also, be sure that the bowl of your dog is full. After all, it can get hungry at any time.

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 16 Mar 2022, 10:49

So glad Ziggy arrived safely. And yes, I have a dog who reacts to almost everything when it comes to excitement or change. She has what we call her "walking" poos.....formed, but a tad soft. She loves her walks but they affect her poos. So I agree that the climate could be an issue. Let us know how Ziggy does. And Congratulations!

Barb

Montgomery
Pet name: Montgomery (I'm a CAT!)
My name: V

Post by Montgomery » 17 Mar 2022, 17:58

Before we got the air conditioner, Montgomery's bowel movements would definitely get worse as the summer heat increased. Also, not EPI-related, his buddy Flapjack would have more seizures as the weather worsened. Once we installed the air conditoner, both cats stabilized.
Montgomery was born 20 March 2012. He eats extra lean ground chicken, lean ground pork and lean ground beef completed with Alnutrin and freeze-dried chicken liver, with hard-cooked egg. He gets two size zero capsules of Enzyme Diane's enzymes at each of his six meals, and a size four capsule of Tylan three times a day. He's a fierce little Spitfire with a roaring Merlin engine.