Anxiety and EPI

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
maya193
State: Rhode Island
Pet name: Maya
My name: Debbie

Anxiety and EPI

Post by maya193 » 05 Nov 2021, 10:25

Good morning all! I've read that dogs with EPI can develop increased sensitivity and nervousness/anxiety. However, I'm wondering if a dog with anxiety can DEVELOP EPI from that anxiety or is it genetic or both?? The reason I ask is, Maya was diagnosed a few weeks ago with EPI and during the conversation with the vet, the vet made a comment about how she's gone through a lot of life changes and how stressful that is on our babies (we moved to another state this year). I didn't make any connection at the time but now looking at the larger picture she's always been a nervous nellie....and whenever we travel she gets even more nervous. I'm just wondering if there is a connection. Kind of like which came first the chicken or the egg? lol! Deb (aka Maya's mom)
Maya is a belgian mal/german shep diagnosed with EPI on 10/12/21. TLI 1.2, B-12 196, Folate 4.8. Currently on Maximum K-9 raw diet, beef and vegetable, Enzyme Diane, Wonderlabs B-12 with IF, Proviable and Slippery Elm.

Patsy

Re: Anxiety and EPI

Post by Patsy » 05 Nov 2021, 10:32

Hi, that’s an interesting question. I can only say that when I adopted Marti, before epi became obvious, she was nervous and anxious. I put it down to her previous life as a kennelled breeding dog, albeit well cared for.
With epi, the B12 levels drop dramatically, which causes a lot of issues which includes anxiety. Has May had it tested yet. Epi dogs need it at 600, more than other dogs.
Springer spaniel Marti had Epi, PLE , MMM just to confuse me. She lived till 12yrs, chubby and happy despite eight years of epi.
Capsule enzymes suited her best. B12 supplements made her into a new dog!
After a cocker with PLN kidney disease, I now have two healthy rescues, a lively, suicidal , small ginger terrier, adopted with pneumonia, and gum disease needing nearly all his teeth out, and a fluffy grey toy poodle/terrier from Greece.

maya193

Post by maya193 » 05 Nov 2021, 10:50

Hi Patsy! Yes, her B12 is very low and she's on the standard protocol right now...I did not realize that B-12 could be the culprit! So much learning! Thank you for your insight! Wow.....
Maya is a belgian mal/german shep diagnosed with EPI on 10/12/21. TLI 1.2, B-12 196, Folate 4.8. Currently on Maximum K-9 raw diet, beef and vegetable, Enzyme Diane, Wonderlabs B-12 with IF, Proviable and Slippery Elm.

Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 05 Nov 2021, 18:46

Debbie, I'm not sure the anxiety could bring on EPI, but perhaps it's one factor. My Tucker is very high strung. He is on a good regimen now, he is healthy & big, but his fear has actually grown since treatment began 2+ years ago. This probably would have happened, anyway. I do wonder if the feeling of constant hunger he experienced the first few years of his life may have created his nervousness. ---Pam
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

sarae
State: New Hampshire
Pet name: Rae
My name: Sara

Post by sarae » 06 Nov 2021, 13:06

I don't have an answer, but similar experience. My dog Rae has been our nervous nellie since we adopted her at 4 months. I think she had some signs of EPI for years - her poop was always softer and yellower than our other dog - but it didn't become problematic until the past year or so at the age of 4. We first saw it progress when our older dog - and Rae's best friend - passed away. She lost some weight, we tried some different foods, and then regained the weight - chalked it up to depression. Then we added a new puppy to the family, and symptoms got worse again, this time leading to the EPI diagnosis. I think the stress triggered the EPI symptoms to flare up.
Mom to Rae & Lucy. Rae is a 5 yr old lab mix diagnosed with EPI in July 2021 - now our little butterball after regaining weight! Lucy is a 1 yr old non-EPI doberman mix.

Montgomery
Pet name: Montgomery (I'm a CAT!)
My name: V

Post by Montgomery » 06 Nov 2021, 13:40

Montgomery is bomb-proof.
That said, I could see how an EPI animal, or any animal who is chronically ill, may become more nervous, especially if there are a lot of stressful vet visits and lifestyle changes involved.
Montgomery was born 20 March 2012. He eats extra lean ground chicken, lean ground pork and lean ground beef completed with Alnutrin and freeze-dried chicken liver, with hard-cooked egg. He gets two size zero capsules of Enzyme Diane's enzymes at each of his six meals, and a size four capsule of Tylan three times a day. He's a fierce little Spitfire with a roaring Merlin engine.

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 07 Nov 2021, 08:08

I know that Kolby began to have strange fears before he was diagnosed. He usually loved going in the car but all of a sudden didn't want to go near it. He began to bark at other dogs and certain people. Once he began treatment, most of his fears went away...although he still was dog reactive.... but it was only after we got his B12 levels up that he really improved. When we went to the Pet Factor with Intrinsic, his fears seemed to disappear.

Barb

maya193

Post by maya193 » 08 Nov 2021, 10:34

Hi all! So this weekend we went away for 2 nights...of course, Maya came with us! She was beyond stressed out....stools began going back to mushy/yellow, vomited....once we returned back home within 24 hours she was ok again. I'm hoping in time once the B-12 gets straightened out and we know how to proceed forward that the nervousness will tone down. Fingers crossed! It's one thing to try to figure out a regimen of what works, but when you add the anxiety factor I feel like everything else goes out the window. It's so frustrating! Ugh!

Thank you all for sharing your experiences. No one tells you any of this when you first get diagnosed....I am so thankful I found this group!

ClaraM07
State: Colorado
Pet name: alikaka

Post by ClaraM07 » 23 Nov 2021, 01:45

Tuckaboo Pam wrote: 05 Nov 2021, 18:46 Debbie, I'm not sure the anxiety could bring on EPI, but perhaps it's one factor. My Tucker is very high strung. He is on a good regimen now, he is healthy & big, but his fear has actually grown since treatment began 2+ years ago .This probably would have happened, anyway. I do wonder if the feeling of constant hunger he experienced the first few years of his life may have created his nervousness. ---Pam
Yes, you are right, but he closely monitor the state of health of your pet because it could be serious.

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 24 Nov 2021, 04:59

I am not convinced that situations dont make EPI come on more quicky

My Kara was fine until she got spayed, and lo and behold..........................................

people since I joined this group in 2010 have reported all kinds of situations, and there is no definitive answer, I asked my vet the very question and he had been dealing with EPI since the mis 80-s the answer was "thats the million dollar question"

whatever causes it it keep us on our toes

Jean
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx