2 yr old GSD with EPI

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
bcastro921
Pet name: Kilo

Re: 2 yr old GSD with EPI

Post by bcastro921 » 03 Oct 2021, 19:21

Thank you all so much! I will request his test results.

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 05 Oct 2021, 15:55

Yes, I agree that it sounds very much like the enzymes need to be increased. 1 tsp. per cup of food is our usual starting place and you weren't near that yet. To help see how things are going, we found it very helpful to keep a log/journal of everything you feed your pup, the amounts, and the resulting poos. It helps to see it in writing and get a better idea of what is working and what needs to be adjusted.

The beginning stage is the hardest until you get everything balanced. It will get easier. And you will help him get his weight back, too. We have all been where you are. Our Kolby was 54 pounds when he was diagnosed, but we got him back to his target weight of 85 ......he was a slow gainer. It took almost a year for him to get all the way back. It was slow, but very steady. Many dogs gain much faster than that, so don't be discouraged.

We will look for your results.

Barb

bcastro921

Post by bcastro921 » 06 Oct 2021, 12:16

I’ve been giving 2 cups of food 3x a day with 2 tsp enzymes. His first meal includes B12. So far the diarrhea has stopped. I was pleased with the first couple of stools. They were normal in texture, still yellow. Then yesterday it was a bit loose. I have attached his test results.
Attachments
E5978F4C-DEF3-4E9C-B818-6F84A5E96FF4.jpeg
E5978F4C-DEF3-4E9C-B818-6F84A5E96FF4.jpeg (164.07 KiB) Viewed 1303 times

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 06 Oct 2021, 13:15

THank you SO much.

Your dog's B12 is VERY low! I am guessing that you are giving him WOnderlabs "Pet Factor"... yes? Be sure to give 1 a day EVERY day...... and because the B12 is so low, please try to schedule another B12 re-test in 3 months..

I noticed that your vet is recommending another TLI in one month.... i agree with re-testing... but IMHO that is too soon.... see if you can schedule it for 3 months (along with doing a re-test of the B12 also. If your vet is hesitant to wait 3 months, then go with retesting in 2 months with both the TLI and B12 tests) ..just know that 1 month is much too soon.

Also stop the B12 pills 1 week prior to the blood being drawn for the B12 test.
Do not stop the enzymes... just be sure to "food" fast 12/+ hours prior to the TLI test.

The yellow in the poo is SID... you dog has SID, no matter what the Folate test results indicates. All dogs with EPI have SID.
SInce the poos are now formed.... things are definitely going in the right direction and because they are formed with the increased enzymes...and smaller but more frequent meals (thanks for doing this!) at this point in time, lets avoid giving Tylan and lets go with pre+probiotics first to help get SID under better control.....THen if the pre+probiotics don't work.... THEN lets looks at giving Tylan.

SOOOOOOoooooooo..... give things a few more days and then talk to your vet about starting up the probiotic again... Can't remember if your vet started your dog on Proviable or not... if they have not, then ask for either Proviable or Visbiome probiotic,,, and then start but start with less than 1/2 the recommended dose and work your way up to a full dose over the course of a week or two... let's see how that goes. Although we promote the antibiotic Tylan... when possible we try to improve SID without antibiotics.... when possible.

Sounds likee you are doing a great job!!!
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 06 Oct 2021, 19:05

It can be discouraging when you have a bad day, but you are on the right track, and working so hard for your doggy! Keep up the good work, and know that your pup is feeling better every day. ---Pam
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

bcastro921

Post by bcastro921 » 29 Nov 2021, 12:00

Kilo is doing better. No more diarrhea. I wanted to ask if he needs to continue taking the B12 supplements. I wasn’t sure if that was supposed to be temporary or forever along with his enzymes.

Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 29 Nov 2021, 19:04

Have you had his B12 retested? Remember, if you do that, stop giving him supplements for at least a week before the test.

I have been under the impression that B12 supplementation is for life, but I may be wrong. Tucker's result, after two weeks off supplements, was 666, but I give it to him anyway. If they get too much, they just tinkle it out. It's the least expensive of all the things he takes, so I figure giving it is easier than getting him tested. And EPI dogs need to be above normal range of B12.

There are probably some good reasons for getting that number, but I tend to be a little casual. ---Pam
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 29 Nov 2021, 20:37

Hi Kilo's mom,

Once an EPi dog is diagnosed with low b12....yes, they will need B12 supplementation for life.

The deal is that you are supposed to give him B12 to bring up the levels to somewhere in the upper mid range of B12.... then, once you achieve that ... then you and your vet need to figure out approximately how much and how often B12 will be needed going forward to maintain that upper midrange level of B12.

And as Pam stated... no need to be overly concerned about giving too much B12, as they will pee out any excess....
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........