Daisy reporting in :D

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Re: Daisy reporting in :D

Post by Jean » 30 Apr 2022, 07:59

Faye, Kara was totally intolerant of chicken this was diagnosed by blood test

but eggs she was fine with

she was also intolerant of pork but ok with porcine enzymes

why I have no idea!

give it a go
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

faye grimm
State: Oregon
Pet name: Daisy
My name: faye

Re: Daisy reporting in :D Kibble

Post by faye grimm » 30 Apr 2022, 11:06

Thank you Jean and Pam. I have given her eggs before ad she got some yesterday which she seems to tolerate and definitely likes it. For diner I gave her liver that I buy for my cat not thinking about it being CHICKEN LIVER! :!: But she seemed fine. However, I wonder if I began using either of these fairly regularly if they would begin to trigger her allergies. I guess I can start slowly and see how she does. I am not taking her off beef, pork or lamb but thinking I should include some gentler food every so often. Thanks again ladies.

Yesterday it was kindly suggested I consider some gastrointestinal lines of dog food by Purina and Royal Canin. I said I preferred the products made by Sport Dog https://www.sportdogfood.com/our-food. They are a family owned business out of upstate New York and they do not add a lot of chemicals and preservatives. I pay $80.00 + $5 shipping for a 30# bag of the herding dog variety as it has no chicken which seems to be an allergy factor for Daisy.
The link I provided above lets you select your parameters for a formula to suit your dog.
Also the people there are very accessible, caring and friendly.
And no, I do not have stock i the company! :D

However I decided to look into those suggestions and started with the Royal Canin brand as I have seen that in a veterinarian's office before. Here is what I found.

The first thing I noticed of course was the price. 28.6 lbs for $109.99

The next thing I looked at was the ingredients in Royal Canin Veterinary Diet Adult Gastrointestinal Low Fat Dry Dog Food.
I was laboriously compiling a list of each ingredient with a name I could not pronounce and some appeared to be benign but others were indeed scary. Some of course were vitamins but the sources, quality and absorbability is questionable.

One ingredient we should always be wary of is usually called Natural Flavors which generally is code for MSG.
https://www.livestrong.com/article/3774 ... glutamate/
You can also call the company and ask for specifics though in my experience the rep I end up speaking with tends to assure me these are not harmful and do create a better product. Yeah, right.

The second one that got my attention was Fructooligosaccharides which is simply an artificial sweetener.
Our fur babies do to need sweeteners in their food. Eve we humans should not be using artificial sweeteners. "As per a recent study in Physiology & Behavior, the consumption of artificial sweeteners alters the gut microbiota and is linked with impaired glucose tolerance. Impaired glucose tolerance raises blood sugars and increases the risk for diabetes ."
https://www.drpeterosborne.com/artifici ... e-effects/

Royal Canin Veterinary Diet Adult Gastrointestinal Low Fat Dry Dog Food.
Ingredients I looked up the ingredients in bold. I am not a scientist so I realize and might be over reacting to some of these as I do not truly understand the language however, I do not believe any of these belong in food no matter 'who' it is for.]
Brewers Rice, Chicken By-Product Meal, Wheat, Barley, Natural Flavors, Dried Plain Beet Pulp, Chicken Fat, Salt, Fish Oil, Calcium Carbonate, Monocalcium Phosphate, Potassium Chloride, Psyllium Seed Husk, Sodium Silico Aluminate, Fructooligosaccharides, Hydrolyzed Yeast, Taurine, Vitamins [Dl-Alpha Tocopherol Acetate (Source Of Vitamin E), L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (Source Of Vitamin C), Biotin, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Acetate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Niacin Supplement, Folic Acid, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement], Dl-Methionine, Choline Chloride, L-Lysine, Marigold Extract (Tagetes Erecta L.), Trace Minerals [Zinc Proteinate, Zinc Oxide, Ferrous Sulfate, Manganese Proteinate, Manganous Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite, Copper Proteinate], Rosemary Extract, Preserved With Mixed Tocopherols And Citric Acid.

In my "travels" I came across this page: A Guide to Understanding Dog Food Ingredients It is by no means a comprehensive list of questionable and known hazardous ingredients but it does offer some basic information pertaining to dog foods.
https://www.dogingtonpost.com/a-guide-t ... gredients/
Daisy and I live in rural southern Oregon. In June of 2013 I saw someone selling 5 week old puppies from a van and I swear I was "only looking" when Daisy's head popped up from the back of the box and she jumped across her liter mates straight to me, got up on her hind legs and started licking my face.
She had just chosen me. The guy wanted $100 a pup. I told him I only had $50. He said no way.
I replied, "This is my dog now. Take it or leave it. But she is coming home with me."
So I gave the man his $50 and we have been joined at the hip every since ...

Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 30 Apr 2022, 12:00

Good information to have....Yep, MSG became a "natural flavor" several years ago, because it does occur naturally in a few very strong tasting foods, like parmesan cheese. I sometimes wonder who the FDA really works for!

Sport Dog herding series is the same price from Amazon, free delivery if you have Prime. I believe delivery is free from Chewy, too. The price at those sites sometimes fluctuates, though.

The price at the SD Elite site is more consistent, and I usually buy two bags, which gives me free shipping from them, too.

Tucker has eaten it for ages, but occasionally I'll give him Taste of the Wild Pacific stream, to change things up.

So, are you just thinking it might have happened because she is allergic to something in the herding dogs formula?
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

faye grimm
State: Oregon
Pet name: Daisy
My name: faye

Post by faye grimm » 03 May 2022, 17:42

Hi Pam .. I'm pretty sure it is chicken. Not so sure if dairy or eggs bother her. Probably even a little duck or turkey might might be a problem so I have shelved all those treats to give away.
I was getting organic chicken legs and thighs from Grocery Outlet at a very good price and would give her a leg or thigh almost every day.
The sport dog formulas give you a lot of room to choose the ingredients combo so I feel very good about the herding dog formula not irritating her in any way.

I did not know they sell on Amazon or Chewy but that is great. I am convinced this is a good product ad am glad more people will have access. Thanks for the heads up.

DO you have any idea of cooked organic garbanzo (chickpeas) beans are ok for EPI dogs? I was just reading about that today and in small amounts it is said to be very healthy for a dog.
Daisy and I live in rural southern Oregon. In June of 2013 I saw someone selling 5 week old puppies from a van and I swear I was "only looking" when Daisy's head popped up from the back of the box and she jumped across her liter mates straight to me, got up on her hind legs and started licking my face.
She had just chosen me. The guy wanted $100 a pup. I told him I only had $50. He said no way.
I replied, "This is my dog now. Take it or leave it. But she is coming home with me."
So I gave the man his $50 and we have been joined at the hip every since ...

Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 03 May 2022, 21:31

Well, beans have a lot of fiber, but so does pumpkin, and that is good for EPI dogs. I would think the fiber in chick peas is a good one, so maybe you could try just a few & see.

Tuck loves things like apples, lettuce, and celery, which I give him in moderation.
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.